Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Past Forums (read only) >> Coping With HIV

Pages: 1
dmdprman

Reged: 11/11/09
Its been a month...
      #248385 - 11/11/09 11:11 PM

I was recently diagnosed.

I found out on October 5th of this year. So its been a little over a month since the start of a new life.

I grew up in church and i was very active in church and leadership since I was a boy. I grew up being teased at and rejection came from everywhere... school, home and church.

I was teased in school all the time for being feminine. I had to fight for respect and for acceptance. Because I had no friends, I was committed to my studies. That was my only escape from the real world.

I grew up in a pentecostal church that constantly preached against homosexuals and how they will be put in the "lake of fire" come judgment day.

I home I had a dad who constantly refers to gay people as fags and puts them down. There wasn't a day he didn't mention something against them. I started to think they were indirect comment towards me, because you know what they say.."parents know".

All these attacks were a part of my life from a little child until the age of 27. So i held these pressures inside me for many years. I didn't have anyone to speak to. I was always alone.

In February of this year I finally moved out of my parents house and there began the freedom Ive always wanted.

Little did i know that the freedom i was experiencing came with a price. I got a taste of being independent and didn't know what to do. I was still closeted and was not into the gay scene. So my interaction with the gay world was through websites (A4A). My only friends were straight and they could not relate to what I was going through. So i tried living life with my own experiences.

I grew up with low self esteem. Rejection was something i learned to accept. I never had a gf nor a bf. I was always alone. Depression sometimes took hold of my life to the point of being suicidal. This was normal since i was 12. It wasn't until I turned 27 when I learned that God still loves me regardless of my sexual orientation. From then on i learned to love myself and I gained confidence from loving myself. I met men at websites that told me I was very handsome. I was never told I looked good, until then.

I was raised in a very loving home. i have no complaints in the manner I was raised. I understand my parents and their upbringing, and so I don't blame them for anything.

So the more men I met on websites, the more i got involved in the sex scene. When I started sleeping around, i was always using protection. Until one man made me comfortable not using protection. I became so used to not using condoms that it became a regular thing not to use.

I was too trusting of people and kept sleeping around without using protection.

In June of this year i got really sick. I had muscle aches for 3 weeks along with flu and diarrhea. I never got this sick. I have always had a strong immune system. I didn't understand what it was, I just thought it was something going around. So I went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics. After 3 weeks, the symptoms went away. IN September, the diarrhea came back. It lasted more than a week when i decided to go to the doctor to get medication for it. At the same time of my visit i asked my doctor to give me a blood test. He asked me why... and I told him i've been having unprotected sex and just wanted to make sure i was ok.
A few days later i get a call from him asking me to come in to discuss the results. My mind was racing with reasons of why he called me. I thought it was high cholesterol, since I knew I wasn't eating well. Little did i know that i tested positive for HIV.

I thought i was going to die at the doctors office. I started crying in front of the doctor like never before. I was alone and didn't know what to do. When your not educated in what HIV is, you immediately think DEATH. i called my pastor and best friend. I also told the guy i was seeing about this. They all showed support and I am forever grateful for that. The guy Im seeing still wanted to be with me and still showed me how much he loved me. i didn't understand why he would love someone like me. I still don't understand till this day why.

Since then, i have been seeing a therapist and getting closer to God through prayer, meditation and attending church. This has been a tremendous help. I started eating better and I feel great.

My next appointment was to find out my CD4 count and viral load. i didn't know what this meant until my ID doctor explained it to me. I was curious to find out what my counts were. I thought to myself... I just got diagnosed, so my counts should be close to normal. But it was a total opposite. My CD4 count is 237 and my viral count is 23000. I didn't understand why. I still don't till this day why my count was so low. We know 200 is AIDS and i'm close to that in just 6 months. WTF!!!

My next this was to begin medication immediately. I am taking Atripla now for almost a month, and It is a challenge. i stopped hanging out late and I completely stopped drinking. Friends are asking me whats wrong that I don't hang out no more and they have noticed a change. I have not told anyone else about me, and so i give them an excuse. I have been losing weight and people are complimenting me. It feels good to hear this. Since June, i have lost 35 pounds. i went from 245 to 210. I'm just worried that my weight will drop so fast that by the time I'm 30 i will be skinny. I know I would not look good skinny, so i have been getting advice from my best friend (who's a personal trainer). So I started lifting weights. Lifting weight and gaining muscle mass is a great way to increase your immune system. So it is something I have to be committed to as well.

I refuse to let this disease bring me down. I know there is a lifestyle change with this, but with God's help I will get through this. I'm not mad at anyone. There is a purpose for everything and if it took this experience for me to get my life in order, then so be it. I still have goals and aspirations. i will be getting my masters in less than a year. I have been tired a lot and at times i get moody and impatient. But i know this is expected, so I don't let that bring me down either.

I know I have a lot to learn in life and about this disease. I am taking it day by day and hope that I can meet people who are going through what I am going through. I don't know of any support groups. I am still not out to my parents. I am trying to decide if i should tell them before thanksgiving. I will be getting another blood test this Friday so I decided to wait for the results to tell my family (in hopes of getting good news). I want them to be educated and know what I am going through.

I am also trying to lessen my stresses, so i quit one of my 3 jobs. My family is priority now and I will love them and cherish them all I can, while they are still alive. I don't want to be one of those people who regret how they treated their families after they have passed. How great is it to be treated well while your still living. I have been showing so much love lately that my sister-n-law has asked me a few times if i was dying. lol. I don't take it personal, because I know she doesn't know anything.

God is love and i believe in healing and restoration... not only physically, but mentally as well. If I am never healed from this disease, I will still give thanks to God for life and for the many blessings I have... like my career, parents, nephews and friends.

if any one out there would like to comment or give advice, please do so by posting a reply. I am in need of friends who understand what I am going through. The bible mentions that "Iron Sharpens Iron". so i know i will become wiser with words from you. I am thankful for finding this website.
God Bless.
Me

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jazzy1973

Reged: 02/08/09
Loc: Richmond,Va
Re: Its been a month... new
      #248417 - 11/14/09 08:46 PM

HEY MAN COMPLETY UNDERSTAND WHAT UR GOING THOUGH. i ALSO COULD USE SOMEONE TO CHAT WITH ALSO AND COULD USE A GOOD FRIEND SINCE DON'T HAVE ANY! iF U INTERESTED IN CHATTING PLEASE SEND A MESSAGE TO MY BOX I WOULD BE GLADE TO GET TO KNOW SOMEONE LIKE U!

TAKE CARE
MY FRIEND!
JAZZY1973

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #248480 - 11/18/09 01:51 PM

Hello G-man!

Welcome to the site. You ARE among friends... some folks might even become an extended family to you.

Everyone's story is different, yet many of us have some of the same elements. We understand how you feel and are here for each other.

Keep posting; keep reading; and keep loving yourself! Remember that you're a special person. As my Granny use to say: "God Don't Make Junk!"

Best regards,
Gary

dmdprman

Reged: 11/11/09
      #248624 - 11/28/09 10:28 AM

Its going on 2 months since i found out on December 5th. I got the results of my 2nd blood test viral count. It went from 30 thousand (as the doctor told me over the phone) to 492. So Im very happy about that. The results of the CD4 count are not in yet though. I will have to wait for next friday to get those, since he is only in his office on friday mornings.

Thanksgiving was this week and I have not told my family yet. I am terrified of their reaction. But I know one day (soon) i will gain the courage to explain it to them. Its holiday season and I dont want to tell them at this time. There is really no rush in saying anything.
God Bless.
-Me

TrueOptimist

Reged: 05/23/10
      #250465 - 05/25/10 12:11 AM

God bless you.Stories like your's inspire me and let me know there is life after a positive diagnoses.I am 19 years old and recently tested negaitve but my boyfriend tested positive and we had sex many times already.So i am now getting symptoms and I am going through a lot I will go get tested tomorrow to make sure I am positive although I know I am.I would love to get in contact with you and be friends,message me or reply let me know if we can exchange emails etc.Love ya!! MUAH!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5437

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement