Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Past Forums (read only) >> Coping With HIV

Pages: 1
pugdad

Reged: 08/11/09
Confounded and frustrated
      #247000 - 08/11/09 08:30 AM

While I am all for the strides made in treatment, I am troubled in the way non-clinical health dept folks use the line"HIV is just another chronic illness like any other" and folks do not need any special considerations. Our state health director is a non-licensed MD (??) who is a Republican and a vocal opponent of funding supportive services for PLWHA. Any thoughts on how to deal with this guy??

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Confounded and frustrated new
      #247002 - 08/11/09 12:26 PM

Because I don't know all the details such as where funding is coming from and how it is set in this case...just off the top of my head.

As the director he still has to follow the policies set by legeslature. Much of the funding for supportive services is funded by Ryan White which is federal dollars. My thoughts are that he can oppose funding all he wants and I'm sure his opinion carries some weight with those that actually make the decision and designate the funding. Those people are also the ones you need to target in opposition to his opposition. Have your ducks in a row. You need to show what current outcomes are with funding and what would happen to these people without funding.

Hope some of this helps or at least gives you ideas.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3292

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement