Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
P Brown
Unregistered

Living with HIV/AIDS today
      #92797 - 03/22/04 09:08 AM

Hi!
I am a student filmmaker working on a Community Based Media Project intended to be about, by and for people affected by and/or infected with HIV/AIDS.
In looking to include the community in the process I would like to ask (with gratitude) for any input on what you would include if you were making a documentary on living with HIV/AIDS today?
What aspects of HIV/AIDS do you feel get overlooked?
What would you like answered?
I'd appreciate any input on this. Like I said this is a project that is motivated by the community. I am Atlanta based and also looking for a woman who would be interested in being interviewed on film...anyononimity could be preserved if desired. Our group has contacts in the medical, volunteer, and gay male community but it is important to me personally that the voices of women not be ignored. On a personal note, my best friend has AIDS so this project is also a way for me to come to terms with the day to day realities of the disease. Again Thank you for any input.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Living with HIV/AIDS today new
      #92800 - 03/22/04 01:35 PM

contact terri wilder in atlanta. She knows lots of women living with HIV.

pbrown

Reged: 03/22/04
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #92802 - 03/22/04 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate the response.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92985 - 03/23/04 02:29 PM

Call Gerry Hoyt at AIDS survival Project in Atlanta or call AID for AIDS in Atlanta.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92986 - 03/23/04 02:40 PM

i am a single 30 something year old woman. i have known i was hiv positive for two years. my biggest regret about being infected is the loneliness. i feel as if i will have to live the rest of my life alone. i mean come on who is going to want to be in a romantic relationship with someone with hiv.
if i do have to live alone then i guess it is god's will, but it does not make it easy. loneliness is a disease within itself.

Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
      #93199 - 03/25/04 09:14 PM

Show everyone that we are still here and the epidimic is STILL out there. I think because of lack of news coverage people in general don't really remember it is out there...like something in dormancy. That scares me because if we as adults feel that way, what do our children think...and are they protecting themselves.

It would be helpful if people could see snapshots of film of how every day we strive to conquer battles, whether it is physical, emotional, and/or financial.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

pbrown

#93700 - 03/29/04 09:05 AM

Thanks so much for your input! That is exactly what we are trying to do with this project. I am in my 30's and when my best friend (a gay man) discovered by nearly dying that he has AIDS I was shocked. Of course, my older friends told me right away "your friend has HIV" but like him I denied it. I thought my friends were careful...but who is ALWAYS careful. I think that too many people think HIV/AIDS is no longer such a big deal since you can live longer and in general quality of life has increased but you are so right in saying the epidemic is still here.

SunshineSR

Reged: 02/03/04
      #94301 - 04/03/04 10:12 PM

I think that it is a great idea, if I were not so far away I would gladly be interveiwed. I think that because it is not being talked about so many people do not realize the rate that the infection is being spead. This lack of knowledge about it is the reason it is continuing to be transmitted. please make note of the emotional effects of the disease.. it can cause self esteem problem, many people isolate themselve because of fear of being discriminated or judged and it leads to depression.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94342 - 04/04/04 04:16 PM

Don't forget to mention HIV positive women and their right to become mothers. More and more of us are choosing to become mothers despite being infected. With the help of a high risk obgyn and meds the transmission rate to babies is under 2%. Very little has been written on our right to choose whats best for us and our babies. Also African American women are the hardest hit by this epidemic that deserves mentioning as well. Thanks for helping to get the word out.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94506 - 04/06/04 12:35 PM

I'm HIV+ and I just have a comment on how people view an HIV+ person, I consider myself a beautiful person inside and out, however I'm a very lonely person I was diagnosed in 2/97 so it's been 7 long years dealing with this illness, and the loneliness is really getting the best of me now. I'm having a hard time putting my illness out and letting people judge me. I think that I'm afraid of being rejected by other people. I lone to find a male companion just to have someone to talk to or even take in a movie. This disease has no mercy for no one, but to live with it is not hard, but could be very depressing at times; however life is to precious to not try your best to live every minute of each day you're given. I wished that people would just understand that although this disease is a deadly one the carrier should not be proceed to be a bad or ugly person because of what they have. It a very sad day when you feel like just because you have this disease you have to live life alone. There is life after testing +.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94507 - 04/06/04 12:41 PM

I'm so with you, loneliness is just about the worst part of dealing with this disease.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#95328 - 04/13/04 08:07 PM

i'm 24 hiv+ and in the marine corps go figure huh! its already hard being in this man driven world of the military put on top of it this disease. The loneliness, the feeling of living with two sets of friends there are those that know and those that don't i just want to be free but right know thats not possible i would love to be interviewed and i'm close to atlanta is there a number i can contact you at. WORDS OF ADVICE: Becareful who you tell because you can never take it back. confidentiality is propaganda!

lolowc
Unregistered

#97084 - 04/30/04 02:27 AM

I am a thirty-two year old woman who has been living with Hiv since 1990. My boyfriend who infected me died in 1991 and my daugher died in 1996. I currently live in the atlanta area and my e-mail address is lolowc@hotmail. com. contact me if I can be of any assistance.

pbrown

#97097 - 04/30/04 09:50 AM

Thank you to everyone who gave input and responses!! The project is nearly completed and for anyone living in/near atlanta there will be a FREE screening on May 5th at 7pm at the Five Spot on Euclid Avenue in Little 5 points. We really tried hard to include topics suggested by the community and hopefully will help spread awareness and compassion.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#101264 - 07/12/04 06:16 AM

i would emphasise how this disease went from a death sentence to a treatable condition and how people are finally getting to get on with their lives without a death wish.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7185

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3