Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can someone please talk to me
      #87021 - 02/12/04 01:18 PM

Hi everyone. I am a 20 yr old female. I have a hiv test next week. I have had swollen nodes on my neck for just about 8 months now and I'm convinced I have hiv. I'm scared that I've infected my boyfriend whom I love very much and I'm terrified of dying. Has anyone here had a similar experience with swollen nodes, please talk to me. I've posted on the Body to the doctor but he has never responded to my emails. Thanks to anyone who writes me!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sweetpea9919
Master

Reged: 10/22/03
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Can someone please talk to me new
      #87026 - 02/12/04 05:15 PM

Hi there, I feel for you. I'm glad you're taking a test next week. You'll have your answers then. You should know some things, though. Swollen lymph nodes are not always associated with HIV infection. Most bacteria and viruses go straight to your lymph nodes. I remember when I was in high school (before my infection), and my lymph nodes were swollen for most of my senior year! I had choir practices, festivals, band tournaments, reharsals, dance classes, 7 am last-minute rehearsals... I got little sleep and got very run-down. And it wasn't HIV.

Secondly, even if you do have it, it's very hard for a woman to infect a man. Our bodies work differently. So stop worrying until you know anything.

Thirdly, life is not over just because HIV enters the picture. Did you know they that it's more looked at as a chronic long-term illness than a terminal illness? It's almost like having diabetes or high cholosterol-- it's something that will be a part of me for the rest of my life, and I just need to manage it properly. (Of course, you can't give diabetes to a partner, but there are ways of protecting them.)

So stop worrying until you know for sure. After your test comes back, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I was 22 when I contracted HIV, and my life is FABULOUS. We're here for you. I'll be thinking about you.

Your new friend...

--------------------
Erika
Married; 31 years old
HIV+ 10 years... and counting

Parrothead
Fanatic

Reged: 01/27/04
Loc: Atlantic Beach, FL
      #87055 - 02/12/04 09:29 PM

From what I've read, the swollen nodes associated with ARS during early infection of HIV normally lasts only a couple of weeks. 8 months couldn't possibly be associated with that. Are you sure you aren't poking and prodding at them, constantly checking their size? That could cause them to swell. A lot of WW (worried wells) become obsessed with their "symptoms". If you don't hear anything else from this site, remember this... symptoms are NO WAY to diagnose HIV. They are too general and can be caused by too many different things. Testing is the only way to know, and there's no reason to stress out until you know you actually have something to worry about.

Although I don't know your situation, know this. HIV is a very difficult virus to transmit. The conditions have to be "just right" for the virus to survive long enough to spread. I had my "scare" recently. I slept with a man I later found out to be positive back in Sept. I tested Jan 16th and believe me, I was scared too. Especially since I knew that I had been exposed to the virus by a confirmed positive person. I got my results back on Feb 5th..... Negative. .... Worrying will not help you through the waiting period. Try to relax... do something to keep your mind off of the entire issue. Become informed, however it may be easier for you to avoid reading about HIV. For me, it was theraputic. I don't know what I would've done without this forum... Read a book (cheerful stuff only) or watch a comedy movie.... these are just suggestions, but they worked for me. Good luck, hun.

Amanda

Anonymous
Unregistered

#87791 - 02/15/04 06:17 AM

What was your risk? It all depends on that. Also it's not easy to infect a guy....

Broken Angel
Unregistered

#90667 - 02/26/04 06:00 PM

Hello. Just take each day and each step one day at a time. Because take it from a pro at worrying..it does no good. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but swollen nodes could mean a variety of things. Take the HIV test and go from there. Let me give you a little background for hope in the event that you are positive for HIV. I am a heterosexual, non-drug user. I was diagnosed with HIV and treated ever since, about 13 YEARS AGOI!! My Doctor and myself estimated that I might have been infected for 5-10 years before I started getting HIV related symptoms. Every one is different in symptoms and progression. Even if you are diagnosed positive, there is hope for you. I have lived and continue to live a very full life. I have been married for almost 12 years now to a wonderful man. And as far as I know, he is still negative. And in MY OPINION ONLY it is a little more difficult for men to get if from women because of biology. Unless your sex involves blood or you share needles. The medications out now are getting better and better. And people are living A LOT longer. If you get a HIV diagnosis, please go to a HIV familiar counselor right away, it will help you deal with the initial depression. If you are not POSITIVE in diagnosis, try to get educated and tell others, because that will help all of us break the cycle of misinformation and prejudices. I don't know you but I will pray for you. Please never give up hope!!!!! Hope makes you strong. By the way, from my previous experience some Doctor on web pages will not respond to "individual" type questions, because they do not know all you're individual background....so don't think no response is bad. O-TAY!!! I will check this site periodically if you want to respond.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92618 - 03/19/04 08:51 PM

Sweetpea,

You said that you would be here for me. Where are you?

C&J
Unregistered

Re: i will talk to you new
      #93300 - 03/26/04 05:40 PM

i dont have HIV or anything like that but i have Genital Warts and they can he cancerouse and i am all ready a high risk of getting cancer. I got them from my boy friend , becuase i have never been with any one but him. I am 17f and ii know how you feel about feeling bad about your b.f because even though he is the only person who could have given them to me he isnt in an out break and i am afraid that i could cause him to get an out break, They say he just has the virus and he spread it to me. But i am afraid to kiss him or anything, I just got diagnosed yesterday, But just go to your DR. appt. and if you have it the most important thing to do is tell your b.f and treat it as much as you can. C&J

Anonymous
Unregistered

#137383 - 03/09/05 11:39 PM

I know what you are going through. My wife was diagnosed with hiv last year and it has been so hard on all of us,plus we have 2 small kids ages 4 and 5. she was so scared that she has passed it to me. i have tested many times in the last year and so far, i'm ok. but do not give up... life is still there for you. it may be a little different, but there is still life. and do not ever give up, if your boyfriend leaves you, then maybe god has other plans for you and he really didn't love you anyway. don't let that stop you though. you have alot of life and love as well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157019 - 07/10/05 12:02 AM

are you going to write me back

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4404

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3