Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
footeard

Reged: 06/29/00
pregnancy and HIV
      #6392 - 06/29/00 10:52 AM

Hi, I have been positive since 1987 and my husband is negative. I am 30 years old. We will be trying to concieve and have a baby in July. I am currently on D4T, Viramune and DDI. I was on AZT monotherapy from 92-94 at 300 mg a day so likely am resistant. My viral load prior to HAART has never gone over 4,000. Currently VL is <25 and CD4 is 300. I am concerned about continuing my medications during the first trimester b/c I am afraid the drugs will harm the baby and cause birth defects or other pregnancy complications. I have no fear about increasing trasmission if I stop after pregnancy confirmation and during the first trimester b/c of my already off treatment low VL and undetectable VL when on treatment (suggesting I would remain undetectable at delivery having taken the medications for the last two trimesters). I realize that I am recommended to continue my medications but I still can't make a decision.

I was wondering if anyone shares an experienece similar to mine with pregnancy or has known anybody who has taken any of the meds I am taking during pregnancy for the entire pregnancy and if yes, what was her pregnancy outcome in terms of complications? I really need specifics...what drugs, how long was she taking them, how was her adherance, how did her pregnancy go and how was the baby? I have already consulted many doctors and women's AIDS organizaions in the U.S. for their opinion but really want to hear from positive women themselves.

I am also wondering about other women's opinions on my situation and treatment decisions.

I also don't want to take AZT at all b/c I am probably resistant and b/c D4T and AZT are not supposed to be mixed.

I am considering one dose of viramune and a short course AZT regimine for the baby but am uncertain about using AZT in the baby as well b/c of my likely resistance. My OBY/GYN is really pushing AZT which bothers me.

I would be interested to hear and discuss more personal stories of taking medications during pregnancy. While its not a clinical trial it will help me make a decision.

You can also e-mail me at footeard@colorado.edu

Thanks, Carrie

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TAngel
Unregistered

Re: pregnancy and HIV new
      #6873 - 07/08/00 11:48 PM

Hello Carrie-
I was diagnosed during routine pre-natal testing. I had no idea I was +. My Dr. started me on AZT at my 14th week of pregnancy,I recieved AZT intravenously during a normal vaginal delivery,then my baby was on AZT for her first 6 weeks of life. I am ecstatic to say she will be two next month, and is not infected!!! My VL has been <13 for over a year now, and my T-cells are at 1200! It was a very hard decision as to whether to go through with the pregnancy or not after being diagnosed, but now she is my reason for taking care of myself and my reason for living. I don't know if I would ever risk another child, but it is a personal decision. Whatever you and your husband decide, my prayers are with you. Just know that it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy and baby!

Mexico
Unregistered

Re: pregnancy and HIV new
      #9504 - 09/11/00 10:04 PM

I have so many ilusions on having a baby, my husband and I are positive, now a days Doctor says we should give it a try, I wish I could receive more hope from people that has decided to have babies, I'm in Latin America

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3469

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3