Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Transmission Anxiety
      #5942 - 06/20/00 03:11 PM

Please help me.

I realize i will need to be tested but heres my story. Recently on a trip to New Orleans, I had an unprotected encounter with a hooker. I was hammered beyond belief and I know I ejaculated on her. I did not have any abrasions/cuts on my penis. From what I could tell neither did she. I went back to my hotel room and flew home. This happened on 2 June. I have experienced some assoc. symptonms(occasional diarreha, sweats, lethargy) I tested for gonnorhea, syphilis and clap all negative. But I'm panicking big time. I know the risk of a one time, vaginal event is extremely low, but yet the anxiety is killing me, rendering me useless. Any advice or similar experience out there, please respond

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Transmission Anxiety new
      #6282 - 06/27/00 08:23 PM

Okay- first of all your "symptoms" are probably nerves. Your anxious and that will cause all kinds of things. Calm down. The liklyhood that you contracted hiv from one vaginal sexual encounter is very, very low. But, you should be tested just to make sure. It sounds as if you regret this mistake, don't make it worse by not getting tested and run the risk of infecting someone else. Good luck and watch the getting hammered stuff- it can be deadly now a days.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6312 - 06/28/00 09:24 AM

Thank you for your response.

If the symptoms would go away, I'd feel better but they dont. Everyone says its nerves and it very well could be, but I'm a pretty healthy guy and I'm in tune with my body. I test on 12 July and have a gut feeling I'm going to be positive. All because of one stupid night. I have not consumed alcohol since. I have gone over in my mind how I will tell, my girl, my folks, my family and my friends and the anguish and pain is killing me. I cannot imagine life on all those AZT cocktails and pills. Please pray for me.

Thank you

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6405 - 06/29/00 06:45 PM

I need to tell you a little story, maybe this will help calm you down some- I am a woman who was diagnosed with full blown aids in 1996. I had no idea I was even hiv positive. The thing is I had been sleeping with my husband for 4 years unprotected and he is to this day negative. You probably do not have HIV! If this was your only encounter of unprotected sex with a person who could be infected your chances are so low- being a man, you run a much lower risk especially if it was vaginal contact only. I of course do not know your sexual history. Only you know what chances you have taken. Honestly, I think you are working yourself up without knowing anything. Another thing you must realize is that if you had been infected you would have developed flu like symptoms that would have lasted a short time and then you would have felt fine. I was infected in 1986 and felt fantastic until I started getting run down in the beginning of 1996. It took ten years before I showed any symptoms at all. I hope this helps you some. I was glad to hear that you still plan to be tested - and from now on do not put yourself in dangerous situations!
Be well and stay well, and write again if you need to talk.
I'll be thinking positively for you,
Mother

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6421 - 06/30/00 09:01 AM

Thanks Mother,

I know about the odds and believe me from all the people I've talked to(counselors, nurses, former healthcare workers) they are very comforting. Your story is comforting too. But I have the symptoms and I'm not a psychosematic type of a guy. I'm in terrific shape and have been for years. Sore throat, aches, diarrhea, weight loss although I havent as of yet experienced night sweats, fever and gland issues. Yes I have read other postings of people who had the same things and are negative. That too is comforting. I have already started to come up with explanations to family, friends and co-workers about what happened. I dont think I can continue to work through this. I see whats left of my life on SSDI, just watching ESPN and The Today Show with a bedpan near my chair, waiting for a priest to give me my last rites. I really @#%*&()up on this one. I test 10 July. Say a prayer for me.

Thanks for responding

mother
Unregistered

#6431 - 06/30/00 12:45 PM

I don't understand why you have convicted yourself without
a trial.... You don't seem to want to believe what a lot of educated people are saying to you.
Is there more to your story than you are telling? You have to understand how HIV works. It does not make you sick right away!! Your body fights it off for years and you have no symptoms. Please, you have to get a grip... Even if the test comes out positive you are not going to die. I should have been dead already, but trust me I aint going anywhere. I am healthy and fat and ALIVE. Please sweetie, do not write yourself off yet!
HIV is not the end of the world and as petty as that may sound, it is the truth. Be strong, stop beating yourself up or Mother will get you....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6436 - 06/30/00 01:45 PM

Mother,

From what I recall of my experience, there was unprotected oral and vaginal. We 69'd and I recall she was'nt really into the blowing, probably thinking I had something. We discussed a condom, but plunged ahead anyway. I ejaculated on her. From what I recall, there was no blood or open sores(at least on me). I'm just trying to be realistic. I have had unprotected sex 4 times in my life. I'm 33. I have never shot drugs or had anything done to me anally, nor have I done anything anally. I have never felt this way after any sex encounter. These symptoms have to correlate to HIV. I never get sick and I usually bounce back quickly when I do. I have been in a 5 year protection-only relationship and I go and pull this stunt. No kids, no family, I'm just devastated.

Thanks for responding

Mother
Unregistered

#6449 - 06/30/00 07:12 PM

Sweetie:

I have to be totally honest with you. It sounds as if you have a terrible case of the guilts. I know, I've been there. Been there, done that, as they say. I wish I could wave a magic wand over your head and make it all go away. But of course that would be unrealistic. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with all this. Do me a favor, please keep in touch and let me know what's happening with you, good or bad, kay? I am concerned and have laid awake many a night beating myself up for all my mistakes. Thanks also for being honest about what happened, I swear I was not just being nosy. Keep strong and positive in your outlook, I know it's hard, but it is Mother's best advice...

Mother

curiousness

Reged: 06/28/00
      #6597 - 07/04/00 01:03 PM

Hello, let me join you,

I never even had an affair excluding my girlfriend. But recently it happened! It happens!!!

1 stupid night, even 0.5 of a stupid night. Could it take everything from you?

Yes, it can...

I ll keep in touch.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6634 - 07/05/00 09:07 AM

Thanks for posting,

I have this strange feeling my actions in one stupid night haved doomed me. With the exception of the fever, I have had all the symptoms. My steady girl of 5 years now suspects something is rotten in Denmark because I cannot perform during sex anymore. We have only used condoms and will continue to do so. I guess condoms straight for 5 years might have led me to pursue an unprotected encounter. Every health pro or counselor I have spoken to has said not to worry, the odds are in your favor, blah, blah, blah. Because I'm a creature of habit and a student of odds, I went to may parents house on 4 July. They have a stack of old Sports Illustrated magazines in the basement. I pulled one out of a pile and guess which one it was......the issue with a picture of Magic Johnson on the cover after he announced his first retirement after he became positive. Can you believe that*&^%$#???? I just have an overwhelming feeling that this has happened. I started reading "Tuesdays with Morrie", the novel about a man with ALS and I'm getting very reflective with my life..all 33 years of it.

I test 10 July and I get the results 2 weekis after. Say a prayer for me.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7610

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3