Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Women's HIV Risk From Heterosexual Sex Rises
      #46448 - 12/04/02 10:53 AM

Well, it looks like it's now true at least in a few states in the US
This is the future ladies!

Report: Women's HIV Risk From Heterosexual Sex Rises in Massachusetts

Heterosexual sex has passed intravenous drug use as the primary way women in Massachusetts are being infected with HIV, according to a state Department of Public Health report released Monday. Since 1999, when the MDPH started tracking HIV cases, more women have been getting infected through sex than drug use. According to the data, the number of women getting HIV from sexual partners not known to have risk factors for the disease has risen to more than 40 percent of all cases among females, while those getting infected as a result of IV drug use has dropped to about 20 percent. Almost 30 percent were infected through sex with partners with known risk factors.

Jean Maguire, director of MDPH's AIDS bureau, said the data are troubling because officials are not sure of the best way to reach heterosexual women with the safe sex message. In the past, efforts have been geared toward reaching gay men and intravenous drug users, the groups that made up most HIV/AIDS cases.

Black women make up almost half of women newly diagnosed with HIV in the state, and Hispanic women are represented disproportionately to their population. Contributing to these numbers is an increase in reported cases among women born outside the United States, the report notes.

Among men, gays represent an increasing number of new HIV cases; male infections from IV drug use have dropped. In 2001, 34 percent of new AIDS cases were among gays, up from 30 percent the year before. Twenty-nine percent were among IV drug users, down from 34 percent in 2000.

The report also shows a 6 percent increase in the number of Massachusetts residents living with HIV/AIDS -- indicating an increase in new cases and more people living longer with the disease. Some 7,600 men and women are living with AIDS in Massachusetts; another 6,000 more having been diagnosed with HIV. Officials estimate that another 7,000 more have HIV and do not yet know it. [Source: Michael Lasalandra; Boston Herald, 12/2/02.]

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Women's HIV Risk From Heterosexual Sex Rises new
      #46468 - 12/04/02 02:13 PM

It's really awful. It's also happening in california. Too bad the women's magazines aren't writing about it. I guess it's because it's happening more in the black community and hispanic community...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46501 - 12/04/02 05:09 PM

Women infection rates nationally have risen to 40% of total in the last few years.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46503 - 12/04/02 05:23 PM

WHoops--that was 30% new infection rate for women, not 40%.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#46950 - 12/06/02 02:18 PM

I just read this and thought it made the point well.

Woman Account One in Two of AIDS Victims
The Indian Express(28.11.02)
By Maggie Farley

One in two AIDS victims a woman, says UN report

UN, November 27: As AIDS enters its third decade, for the first time women account for about half of all infected adults, and the disease has begun
to destabilise countries as it leaves large number unable to work or care for their families, a UN report said on Tuesday.

The face of AIDS has become that of a young African woman — seven of 10 people living with the disease are in sub-Saharan Africa, and 58 per cent of infected Africans are female.

Of the 38.6 million adults living with the disease worldwide, 19.2 million are women, the report said. Young women are especially hard hit due to their lack of awareness of safe sex practices or ability to demand them,
social vulnerability to older men and greater physical susceptibility to the virus, the report said.

Although Africa has the greatest concentration of infected people, the world ’s fastest-growing epidemic is occurring in Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The increase — 250,000 new infections and 25,000 deaths last year — has mostly been caused by a sharp increase in the number of
young people who inject drugs.

Uzbekistan is showing explosive growth: In the first half of this year,there were nearly as many new HIV infections as had been recorded in the whole of the previous decade.

China and India are also facing ‘‘serious, localised epidemics,’’ the report said, with more than 1 million Chinese infected with HIV, many through the donation and receipt of tainted blood, and 4 million Indians
also infected. (LATWP)

Source: Maggie Farley of THE INDIAN EXPRESS,
Thursday, November 28, 2002
Web: http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=13832

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Women's HIV Risk From Heterosexual Sex FALLS new
      #48403 - 12/11/02 06:32 PM

Actual figures from the Calif. Dept. of Health web site

Year 2000 Male AIDS cases down 26%
Year 2000 Female AIDS cases down 56%

Year 2001 Male AIDS cases down 26%
Year 2001 Female AIDS cases down 58%

Total drop since 1995 = 92.5%
Total cases in Calif. 2001 = 586

Clearly female AIDS not increasing. It is all but non existant.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#49092 - 12/14/02 05:23 PM

Why do you keep bring up AIDs stats when we are talking about HIV infection. We all know AIDS cases are dropping due to better health care and medications, but the rate of new HIV infections is not decreasing. You look really stupid trying to make a point using the wrong figures.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#51068 - 12/21/02 01:33 PM

Sorry, but women's Aids is on the rise for not getting treatment soon enough, and The Body reports this.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#51076 - 12/21/02 02:53 PM

And I know why it is on the rise, because women like me are scared, depressed, and its so overwhelming that we don't know what to do.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6291

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3