Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
kity2829

Reged: 11/14/01
strange story
      #24647 - 11/14/01 10:26 PM

My story is kind of strange and convoluted, but I really need help. 14 years ago, my roommate told me that I was HIV+, after I went with her to get a mono test when one of the lymph nodes in my neck swelled up.The mono test was negative, and I didn't hear anything from the doctor so I assumed that my roommate, who I wasn't very good friends with, was joking. Last November I had some compulsory blood work drawn at my place of employment. A physician there told me that I was positive for HIV. I did not receive any counseling, and was afraid to think about it, so the only person that I mentioned the test result to was my husband. My husband said that the physician was making a joke, and that I misunderstood him. He also said that I am crazy since I have a history of depression. Recently I repeated the test with another physician, and received the result "No evidence of antibody to HIV 1 or type 2 by EIA". I am extremely worried and scared at this time anyway. Is it possible to carry the virus for 14 years without any medication and not get sick? I know that there is the Western Blot test and the PCR test for confirmation, but I don't know how to proceed next if I am in fact positive.
Kity2829

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: strange story new
      #24818 - 11/19/01 03:16 PM

That is a rather strange sequence of events. I hope that you have found someone to discuss this with since your posting, but I thought I would respond anyway. It seems very strange that a doctor would have done an HIV test for you 14 years ago without telling you that he/she was doing the test, and then give the results to your roommate, which is a violation of confidentiality. I would not think that you should worry about being positive based on this experience so long ago. Next, it seems that the test you had through blood screening at work may have given you a false positive result. EIA (Elisa) tests often have false positives and would need to be confirmed with another ELISA or with a Western Blot. It seems that you just did this confirmatory test with your doctor, and that test came back negative. Based on that, it seems that you are negative because the chances of getting a false negative are extremely slim, unless you have just been infected in the past month or so. Hope this helps, if you have more questions, I recommend calling the CDC AIDS Hotline at 1-800-342-2437.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24840 - 11/20/01 12:49 PM

In most states in the US you have to SIGN something that gives authorities permission to test you for HIV. Plus if you are negative you are negative!!!! Plus you can have HIV for 14 years without symptoms.

People DO NOT JOKE about HIV. Doctors, particularly, don't make such jokes. IT"S VERY serious! Good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24851 - 11/20/01 01:56 PM

I am thinking about contacting the physician who first said that I am HIV positive. What do you all think? Then at least I would be able to convince my husband, and get him tested. Does anyone know what the next step is after a positive diagnosis?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3672

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3