Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
Kathryn

Reged: 07/11/08
Looking for positive friends
      #240619 - 07/11/08 02:20 PM

Hi, I am living in the New York area and I just tested positive. Does anyone know about socials or get togethers for people with HIV? I really need someone to talk to about what I am going through, and I dont trust my friends to not tell anyone.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: Looking for positive friends new
      #240634 - 07/12/08 06:31 PM

Hi Kathryn,I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but its good that you are trying to meet others for friendship and support.I'm not from New York so no real info for you,have you checked with your local ASO's(AIDS service organization)?Try looking in the phone book or ask you Dr if s/he knows of any groups in the area.Many Drs offices in my area have their own support groups.Meanwhile come here for support and people to talk to.Good luck
Take care
Terry

Starboy
Regular

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: New York
      #240646 - 07/13/08 11:43 PM

Hi Kathern. I am positive also and in NY. What part are you from? I am from outside Buffalo area.

BayouMom

Reged: 07/14/08
Loc: Louisiana
      #240655 - 07/14/08 12:36 PM

Hi
I am also looking for friends that I can share with. Unfortunately I live way down South in Louisiana. If you wouldn't mind having an online friend--I'm available. I'm a stay at home mom, married, and I have 3 children. I was recently diagnosed (16 Jun 2008).

--------------------
BayouMom

dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
      #240691 - 07/16/08 11:41 AM

Hi, my name is Donna. I was diagnosed in March of 2006, about 2-3 months after having my one and only affair. I am married, a mom of two daughters ages 11 and 20, and my husband remains negative. I went on meds in late January this year due to a falling CD4. I live in upstate NY - about an hour north of Binghamton.

niteshade

Reged: 07/20/08
Loc: united kingdom
      #240842 - 07/20/08 09:11 PM

living in the u.k(united kingdom)i cannot say if there are socials etc in new york. but i'm hiv+ have been for 6yrs and i know what you mean about trusting your friends.if you want to chat hollaback

artemis

Reged: 04/23/06
Loc: bay area, ca
      #241032 - 07/30/08 03:15 AM

hi Kathryn,
there's an organization in NYC called SMART - Sisterhood Mobilized for AIDS Research and Treatment. They are in the times square area and have support groups as well as educational workshops for positive women. also you can PM me if you want to talk - i'm a 31 year old positive woman diagnosed in 2002. used to live in new york and now i live in california. i know it is confusing and scary now but believe me it gets easier and starts to make sense in a weird way after a while. i would love to talk to you, so feel free to be in touch... good luck and many blessings.

leonidas

Reged: 07/24/08
      #241722 - 08/31/08 08:31 AM

Hello Kathryn. Here you have a friend. 32 years old, single mom, with a beautiful 3 years old girl. Tested positive 3 years and half ago (during the pregnancy). Actually enjoying life, family, friends... and love! It is true: things get easier after a while. Take care.

morethanpoz

Reged: 02/03/07
Loc: New York
      #242006 - 09/12/08 10:50 AM

Hi Kathryn,
I was diagnosed Jan 07 and I live in Queens. I am definitely open to making new friends...feel free to PM me and we can exchange e-mails if you like. Regarding social groups, there are 3 heterosexual social (dating) groups that I have been connected to:

1. Positive Relationships http://www.positiverelationships.org/
The website needs serious updating but the contact information is still accurate. There are dinners and dance parties a few times a year. The organizer also has a support group that meets in her home on a regular basis.

2. Psingles psingles@aol.com
I have only been to one event--a boat ride they sponsored so I cannot really coment too much about this rganization. From what I saw however, it is a pretty large group.

3. Guys and Girls guysandgirls@aol.com
This used to be a fee based group (t was only $10) but they have since stopped taking the fee and organize regular gatherings.

That is what I am aware of in terms of social groups. If you are looking for support/counseling type groups, there appear to be a lot available. I attend a clinic in Long Island and they have a number of different support groups available. I imagine other Aids Service Organizations and clinics have the same. I look forward to hearing from you. I hope this helps.

motivated

Reged: 10/26/08
      #242907 - 10/26/08 11:02 AM

Hi there

We can have a fruitful conversation. Am a 26 yr old male.If you need some motivation and courage and how to go about we can chat.

pozplus

Reged: 12/03/08
      #243442 - 12/03/08 06:40 PM

Another social site is Positive Friends - http://www.positivefriends.com.
They are one of the newer and fresher faces to the social support sites; and seem to have some really friendly members. I haven't met any of them offline yet, but its nice talking to some people in the same boat as I am. I've asked Dr. Rachel a question in the past, and got a pretty quick turn around on the answer; which is always a plus.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6673

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3