Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
ShannonLeigh

Reged: 01/30/07
Support Groups??
      #223945 - 01/30/07 09:28 AM

Hi ladies! My name is Shannon and I am a Social Work intern for an HIV clinic. Right now we have a support group for men and I am interested in beginning a group for women. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this...for instance if you've attended a support group for women with HIV what you found helpful, activities you enjoyed, or what you wish your group could have done. I want to make sure the women at my clinic have the best experience possible with this group so any information you could offer would really help. Thank you!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Support Groups?? new
      #223949 - 01/30/07 10:03 AM

Hello Shannon.

I haven't attended a support group just for women, but I would imagine it could be closely modeled after what you all have going with the Men's group.

While many of the issues under discussion would be different, the basics for support remain the same. The biggest thing is to keep support meetings from turning into Bitch Fests, which they tend to do, no matter what the demographic of the groups.

Good Luck with this project.

antipete

Reged: 10/18/06
      #223971 - 01/31/07 07:25 AM

I have been in support groups but not for one sex only so I cant speak on that altho I can say that for those of you into the 12 step thing most AA-NA groups will have a womens only or a mens only besides having specifically G+L <gay and lesbian) type meetings if you need that type of help along with a regular support group is great.

Now back to the Q, yes I found the best therapy was just opening it up and letting us take the "group" on a journey to anywhere without a lot of direction from the "therapy-type-person" and I say this with no disrespect, this hands off approach was when we definitely had our most productive and most "vociferous" sessions. All you can do is to provide the atmosphere for this to take place really, seem interested and attentive but unless they get to a lull in the conversation or a standstill then just let them have at it ya know?

For a group to operate people have to have "trust" and that is something that happens over time and so in the beginning I think you will need to take the time to let them get to know each other and feel each other out and dont seem overly "happy to be there" and Im serious, its a turnoff but you may need to do a bit of refereeing when you get those people that monopolize the conversation cuz that totally pisses people off but good and sometimes so much that they wont come back believe me.
Thats about all I can say.............also if its in the budget...........FOOD/DRINK........its like a lil party atmosphere to start them to get "at ease" ya know? Im tellin ya the group will be great once the conversation flows and N-O-T-H-I-N-G is going to stop you from acquiring a big turnout like free food and drink. Heck even if its just a cheap six pack or 2 and some chips and dip or chips and pretzels and dont get me started with the cheese popcorn! LOL

Yep, thats how I would do it and I betcha your group will grow fast and yap-yap-yap!!

Hope this bit helps!

BTW.....The cheap cola and foodstuffs are fine and remember if theres heavier people they may dig a diet drink with thier cheese popcorn! LOL

--------------------

Thanx for posting!

Pete

antipete

Reged: 10/18/06
      #223988 - 01/31/07 05:58 PM

lol,

you know I was tired as heck, I answered a post calling for womens opinions!!! Good luck anyway and I still swear by the popcorn! lol

--------------------

Thanx for posting!

Pete

p0zym3

Reged: 02/20/07
Loc: Florida
      #224674 - 02/20/07 09:12 PM

It's sounds great that you will be doing this. I live in a small town where there is only one and it's mixed, which is fine except for the fact that it's Religion based so ALOT of issues are not covered (so I choose not to attend) Anyway, Coodles to you for starting this group...Good Luck!

Oh and yeah drinks and snacks will prob even be a great ice breaker (Hard not to get friendly while stuffing your face, lol)

--------------------
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4489

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3