Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bit nervous
      #216366 - 11/30/06 08:52 AM

Had a Pap test done. Doctor's office called. Seems that I have HPV. Not a real surprise. I've heard that 90% of women with HIV also have HPV. What I didn't know was just how serious that is. While nothing abnormal is showing up on my Pap, the doctor has scheduled me for a colposcopy. I kinda thought it was overkill, but I have done a crash course on Women, HIV and HPV, since they called me and I have learned that we can have abnormal cells and they don't get picked up on a Pap as well as in women without HIV. I also learned that the cancerous cells can develop quicker in HIV+ women. I've also learned that HIV can affect all this at an early stage, with just less than a CD4 of 500. Mine have been sitting in the mid-low 300's for years.

My ID doctor would get after me every once in a while about getting that Pap done, but I just never got around to making the appointment. For 6 years. I just never realized just how much I was at risk for Cervical Cancer. Every woman with HIV and HPV is. High Risk. You can bet I won't miss another Pap Smear again and for those of us with HIV, that's EVERY year, not every 3 years that's recommended with the new test.

All this has made me wonder about other HIV+ women with male ID doctors. Have any of them made a point of telling you this is a serious thing. Don't procrasinate? Well if they haven't. I just did.

I really don't think they will find anything with the colposcopy, at least that's what I'll believe until someone tells me otherwise. I am nervous about it. Never had one, and the phamplet they sent doesn't make it sound like I'm gonna like it.

Anyone with personal experience with a colposcopy. Is it really just uncomfortable or does it hurt?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: A bit nervous new
      #217339 - 12/07/06 11:15 AM

I've been postive for 11 years and have had that done more than once it hurts but if you take some pain pill before hand than you should be ok. For the most part it feels like cramps. After a few hours it will go away. Make sure that you wear a pantylines you may have alittle bleeding.

debfree

Reged: 10/20/07
Re: A bit nervous new
      #249824 - 03/21/10 10:49 AM

I had that test done because I have HPV but she said it was the early stage and I have nothing to worrying about have just not thought about it again I had a hysterectomy about 3 months ago. I go for a annually next month will check on it then great information.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3552

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3