The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1

Funding Crisis
      #15070 - 01/24/01 04:02 PM

I am a 32 year old single mother of 3 beautiful children who was recently diagnosed. It is a relatively new infection as I was tested just over a year ago and was - at that time.

I came to be tested shortly after Labor day when my husband left me and moved back home to his mother down south. Shortly thereafter his mother called me to tell me that he was in ICU with PCP and HIV+. Suffice it to say I got tested immediately, but i was relatively confident I was negative until the results were in.

I am working full-time and very healthy right now, yet I have to see a doctor regularly (one who knows about HIV, of course) and I am on a drug regimen.

My issue is this:

HAD I not been working and insured when I found out my status, i would have been eligible for ISCHIA and HIAAP
insurance and had no cost to myself. Since I work full-time and am insured through my job (I make 20,000 a year-supporting 3 children- and my insurance is 70/30) there is NO help out there for me. Prior to my HIV and my insurance I paid cash to see a GP and an office visit was $30. Now that I see a MD that works specifically with HIV an office visit is about $200 and my part of that is near $60. Depending on my state of health in any given month, labs drawn, and medicine regimens, I am paying 120-300 a month in MY share of expenses.
Frankly I am just appalled that there is no help out there for someone stuggling with this disease. It's a chronic illness and on 20,000 a year I cannot afford to pay the MD AND feed my kids. That's a helluva choice to have to make.
Any ideas? Anyone know of any help out there?
I've spent the last few weeks on the phone with my state legislators, however with the republican regime in office, I fear any chance at more funding !

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Re: Funding Crisis new
      #15104 - 01/25/01 09:41 PM

Keep up the faith you have maintained. I do not know what state you live in but have you tried to call your local Social Security, food stamp, Medicaid or Public Assistance Office? Your annually salary is pretty low and I believe you qualify for assistance. The fact is your still working and your children might qualify for low cost childcare. In addition if your husband is the natural father for the children, if he applies for disability the children also qualify for support under his name. In addition keep all your receipts on your medications, you will need them if you try to apply for help.

I live in New York City and I work also,I was also diagnosed late last year in December, 2001 with PCP pnuemonia, now I am taking a medical leave from my job for
3 months so I can educated myself in reference to my disease. There are alot of programs and support groups that can be of assistance to you.


Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Re: Funding Crisis new
      #15121 - 01/26/01 04:27 AM

Iknow how you feel. Ihave been HIV+ since 96. Recently seperated from my husband and can't divorce him because I can't afFord insurance through my work. He has a very good job and carries insurance on all three children. If you find something that might help please let me know.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Delicate Dina

Re: Re: Funding Advice new
      #15142 - 01/27/01 02:34 AM

This information is for the lady who has 3 children and needs Health Insurance. Contact your local medicaid office, also go to your nearest family court office and file a petition for spousal support (FOR YOURSELF), for now and after you get divorced. Also are you getting temporary Child Support? All you mentioned was the health care insurance your husband is paying for. You have to put yourself first, do not start feeling sorry for yourself, get it together and find all the programs in your state that are available to you financially to help you and your children. In addition, I find that you are letting your husband get off easy, if all he is paying, as you stated is your children's health insurance? Refer to FREEADVICE.COM It has all the legalquestions and answers you need regarding child and spousal support.


Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Re: Funding Crisis new
      #15253 - 01/30/01 07:25 PM

There is a special medicaid category for those of us who are "categorically needy" based on exhorbitant medical costs. You will need receipts for your medical expenses. Basically, medical expenses are deducted from your income, which may make you medicaid eligible. Medicaid is the payor of last resort, so you may have to keep your primary insurance, but then Medicaid would cover deductibles/copayments.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, gigi, riverprincess 

      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3867

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3