HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
BrokenWingedBird
Expert

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
Awful hunger-like pain in torso?
      #275526 - 02/27/14 06:41 AM

Hi. After months of experiencing an awful hunger-like pain occasionally in my torso, I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, and why.

I take Tenofovir, Lmivudine, and Neviripine.

It doesn't happen every night. When it does happen, it sets in about 9pm, or maybe after I've got into bed, or sometimes I wake up about 1am experiencing it.

I'm really puzzled by this. It feels like being incredibly hungry, although I'm definitely NOT hungry! It also feels exactly like the kind of pain you feel in your chest and/or belly when you got into serious trouble as a child. It's like the feeling you get when you're really afraid. But I don't have ANY terrible fears at the moment.

I have found I can get rid of this pain quickly by turning to a book and concentrating on what I'm reading. So, distracting my mind makes it go away.

But why does it come! I can be watching something interesting or amusing on TV and then suddenly, pow! in comes this searing feeling of misery in my guts!

Is it HIV-related? Is it related to my meds? Is anyone else getting unexplainable attacks of serious anxiety? Do you stop in your tracks and say, "Where the hell is this coming from?"

It's no use me talking about this with my next-to-useless HIV doctor and nurses. They only look patronisingly and sympathetically at me whenever I mention ANY difficulty, and they generally just shrug their shoulders and say it's side-effects of the drugs, and that there's no option.

Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks.

BWB.

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Awful hunger-like pain in torso? new
      #275534 - 02/28/14 11:23 AM

Do you have a General Physician doctor that you could go to? If not, see about getting one. That way you can get some testing that your hiv docs are not inclined to prescribe. Also have you tried monitoring what foods your eating and at what time? Are your Hiv monitoring your liver? Again thats where a gp comes in handy. Sounds like you may have to start making some louder concerns to your Hiv doc. Make a stink to the point where they'll do whatever to quiet you down. Sadly sometimes thats necessary. Please keep me updated on how things are going.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

BrokenWingedBird
Expert

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
      #275537 - 03/01/14 08:27 AM

Thanks, RiverPrincess. I'll hang on a month to see if my post brings any responses from HIV+ people. If there are none, then it will seem that the symptoms described are not common to HIV+ people and knowing that will be some form of guidance at least.

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275538 - 03/01/14 01:36 PM

It is very important to get a GP as river said, my HIV team is setting me up with one they recommned and work quite closely with. That way I am getting someone who knows ALL the ins-n-outs of what's happening to me with HIV plus they can monitor what I need for my regular physical situation.

During all the HIV testing I have been experiencing over the past year, they monitor my thyroid which I have been on meds for for almost 10 years, they also uncovered extreme high-blood pressure and the early stages of diabetes ... so immediately they said I needed to get set up with the GP who can watch over those issues. I got lucky because my new GP is only two floors down in the same building as my HIV med team, so I can set up appointments for the same day so it won't be long dragged out numberous doctors appointments. I am so blessed and lucky in that aspect, and I hope that comes for everyone else in this situation!

As for hunger pains with meds, I get a very nauseaous feeling that turns to feeling hungry ... and since I suffer from depression and anxiety already ... you throw meds in on top of all this and a little snack seems to take it away. Mostly I am finding if I don't eat regularly, get hungry or over tired, the feeling hits hard!

I am on Atripla and although it is "recommended" to be taken on an empty stomach, I still have a little something maybe a half hour after or so. Doc says that's fine and the meds still work great, but it does alleviate that nauseous feeling of anxiety! Of course lots of rest is needed too, if I push myself at work through the day and try to do someting come evening, it hits me then too!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #275553 - 03/03/14 09:34 AM

Why wait? If this is someting that has been causing discomfort , whether physically or mentally , then again seek a P and have this looked into. It may be something that is simple to take care of. But the choice is yours to take.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2959

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3