Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
just4247

Reged: 08/27/12
new to meds/memory problems
      #265926 - 08/27/12 11:44 PM

hi new to the bulletin boards
i've been positive for about 12 years but only started meds about a year and half ago. doing good. undetectable but have been showing signs of mild cognitive memory impairment. just curious to know if anyone else struggles with memory/concentration problems. i've noticed improvement but still sometimes a concern

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: new to meds/memory problems new
      #266317 - 09/06/12 12:13 AM

Memory problems can be the result of so many different things going on in your life. From early onset Alzheimers to simply being a distracted airhead. You say you're getting better. Continue your meds. Give them some time to work before becoming worried.

IF you notice things aren't getting better or are becoming worse be sure to notify your doctor. HIV passes the blood/brain barrior. Many of the meds used to treat HIV don't so well. This is another reason to keep your HIV in check. The brain is a resevoir of latent HIV waiting for an opportunity to reach out and strike again. Mostly dormant, but there will be some active and destroying that globe of grey matter that makes you who you are.

I had memory problems years ago when I first started meds. Much of my problem was related to an opportunistic infection. However, it wasn't helped by a high viral load. I took my meds, and slowly got better. I've never had much of a short term memory. Still don't. But, it has improved, since I noticed and started concentrating on trying to improve it.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #266319 - 09/06/12 10:11 AM

Memory problems seem to be a nuisance for many. I don't want to lable it as a problem but it can lead to other things that can cause problems , like remembering whether you took your meds and even sometimes not remembering how to get to a certain destination driving. My most severe times was when I was on meds for hep c and also Hiv meds. I called it fried brain syndrome. But those of us with just memory confusion we've learned how to safe guard ourselves. Notes , timers, things that you can't miss seeing to remind oneself. Sure it can drive you a bit nutty , how many times do I have to forget where I put my morning coffee?

talknow

Reged: 06/15/12
Loc: North Carolina
      #274466 - 12/12/13 01:51 AM

I have been on HIV meds for more than 20 years. For the last several years, I have been experiencing short term memory problems. I can't get the doctors to consider that this is related to my meds. On my own I am taking steps such as carrying note cards and recording messages to myself to help with the memory issues.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274467 - 12/12/13 08:43 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I'm having tests done to look at my memory issues. I too have been on meds for 20 years. And I am having a primary dr looking into the memory issues. Just had bloodwork to check thyroid and B12 levels and will be scheduling a MRI. I know how fustrating it can be. Send me a pm so we can talk about it better.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1630

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3