HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
HIVhilarity11

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: NJ
Paying For Our Meds/Options
      #258928 - 11/14/11 10:39 AM

Hi Everyone~

I'm asking that if you have a moment and have some feedback to share, could you please do so

We are a newly diagnosed couple waiting for all of our bloodwork to come back. We'll have the results with all of our levels in 2 weeks. In the meanwhile....we know I will likely have ADAP assistance for once year and my Husband ( a teachers whos insurance will not cover and hiv meds) will have no help. He makes "too much".

What are the "options". ALL OF THEM. Seriously. What do any of you have to share? What are your suggestions?

I've had some feedback that the drug companies offer sliding scale assistance for those who can't qualify for ADAP. Is it substantial? Will it even make a dent? Are there any other programs he could apply for? He pays a great deal in child support each month ....will they even consider that?

Does he quit his job? Do we move? I know I am putting the horse before the cart and we may not even need to start meds just yet but I need to know what help there is out there. If I know nothing my mind goes to a place where I'm scared we're going to be homeless and have no meds.

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dennisf878

Reged: 11/15/11
Loc: N. California
Re: Paying For Our Meds/Options new
      #258943 - 11/15/11 09:49 PM

Hello,

I can empathize with your concerns as getting adequate drug coverage is a very real concern. I think an option for you would be to first contact your local AIDS assistance office. They've seen it all, believe me, and know which avenues to pursue to guide and help both you and your partner through this difficult period. If you can, try not to worry too much - there's lots of good help out there.

If It's helpful, in my experience, the people at AIDS assistance agencies that I've dealt with are really creative and can come up with solutions to seemingly insolvable problems - that's what they're trained to do. Hang in there!

D.

Anton

Reged: 11/17/11
      #259042 - 11/17/11 11:37 PM

You do have some options out there. I am currently on several meds that out of pocket would run into the thousands each month. I wrote to the folks that make Isentress and after applying for acceptance into their program, I was giving 12 months of the drug for free. Many of the major drug companies have these kinds of programs. If there is any insurance available to your partner, look into co-pay cards from the drug manufacturers. I currently pay $5.00 a month for Prezista and Intellence and I get my Norvir for free along with my Isentress for free. Don't give up hope, there are options out there, you just have to be persistent. Best of luck to the both of you.

John_R_SF

Reged: 04/28/10
      #259045 - 11/18/11 11:07 AM

The advice Anton and Dennis have given you is good advice. A local AIDS service organization is best able to know all of the resources that are available to you where you live, and pharmaceutical assistance programs are a great resource for those without insurance.

Since ADAP uses Federal Adjusted Gross Income to determine eligibility, it may be worth contacting a tax preparer to see if there are any deductions your partner missed in preparing his tax return last year, or if there is anything he can do with his 2011 return to bring down his adjusted gross income below the ADAP eligibility level.

The Fair Pricing Coalition maintains a listing of all pharmaceutical company assistance programs for HIV meds on its website. Your partner should apply for any programs even if it appears he is ineligible, as pharmaceutical companies assistance programs are sometimes more generous than the stated policy. Welvista is an organization operating in some, but not all states, that helps some people who can't get ADAP, and you should definitely contact them to see if they can help.

A couple of other organizations that may be able to help you and your partner locate resources (other than your local AIDS service organization) are the AIDS Treatment Data Network in New York City, which provides assistance in accessing HIV care. Access to Care, 611 Broadway, Suite 613, New York, NY 10012. Phone: (877) 296-9264. As you appear to live in New Jersey, they may be familiar with access issues in your state. Project Inform's HIV Health Infoline, where I volunteer, also helps people access HIV medications and treatment. You can call the HIV Health Infoline at (800) 822-7422, M-F, 10-4, PST.

HIVhilarity11

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: NJ
      #259051 - 11/18/11 01:39 PM

I'm very happy to say we heard from our case worker and our insurane will cover the cost of our meds VERY HAPPY!

We'll still have co-pays and I know those can get costly too but there's options for it all and our case workers have been magnificent advocates for us. Like you said, they've "seen it all".
Thank you all for your help! xo

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #259113 - 11/21/11 01:12 PM

Congratulations!

If it's possible, I recommend that you get your viruses sensitivity tested and genotyped before starting meds, then you know for sure what meds on the menu are available to you. It's important to do this so you can hit it hard and fast and knock it down, keeping it there. Resistance usually happens when people have to change meds several times, and the resistance testing helps prevent this from occurring.

I'm sorry you and your husband are facing this, but it will get better. For my girlfriend and I, it has galvanized our relationship and made us even more appreciative of our life together.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2564

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3