Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
NicoleRose

Reged: 12/07/04
Loc: Maryland
VL vs. WBC
      #252746 - 10/27/10 01:25 AM

When comparing HIV to other conditions, I am curious how VL differs from WBC. I came across a deceased family member's paperwork. He had HIV, but we believe he ultimately died from cancer. There were many slips from clinics listing off numbers (there wasn't a chart) just a general list. I recognized figures which looked like both VL and WBC and I wonder how they interact and relate. For all I know, there is no relation - he had cancer and hepatitis as well, so perhaps that was the reason.
I am HIV negative, however I am currently waiting on several results concerning autoimmune disease and ruling out cancer. MY WBC is upward of 16 (16,000) and although I often feel sick, I know my WBC doesn't dictate how I feel as it has been in normal range and I've felt ill and at times I felt quite good despite high levels. Is this how VL works as well? Does it indicate how a person feels or just the amount of the virus? I know each person is different and reacts to things differently, I am just trying to get a better idea.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: VL vs. WBC new
      #252749 - 10/27/10 06:53 AM

The Whole Blood Count (WBC) looks at all the aspects of the blood chemisty. While a RNA/PCR (Viral Load) count focuses just on a count of HIV that is found in the blood. Most people on HIV therapy will have a viral load done every 3 months. The reason for it is to determine the effectivness of treatment.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2270

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3