Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Carrie
Fanatic

Reged: 11/11/07
Rapid drop in counts?
      #235411 - 01/19/08 11:33 PM

Just like 2 months ago my boyfriend told me that his counts are 'undetectable', super good and he probably just got infected this past year.

Last night he said that his counts are dropping, he's barley in the 'undetectable' range anymore, he now thinks he was infected 2 or more years ago, and that he's getting side effects like mouth and skin sores and stuff.

We've been having a really hard time in our relationship and seperate lives latley, and he's gone back to using alot of really bad street drugs.

Is it possible that his horrible lifestyle choice of using drugs and not following up regularly to dr appointments has made his counts drop so rapidly? Or is it possible (i hate to think this) that he's just making it up or exaturating?

Anyone who has knowledge on medications and 'counts', please let me know. I'm really struggeling to understand here. Thank you very much.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: Rapid drop in counts? new
      #235472 - 01/20/08 09:49 PM

Hi Carrie,I'm sorry to hear you've been going through this now,there are two different things going on that could be effecting his count,stress will drop your CD4 count real fast,stress is really bad for anybody,even those who aren't positive.And doing drugs will effect his count since,like you said he isn't following up on his appointments and care,probably not eating right or getting enough sleep either.
I hope things will straighten out for both of you,in the meantime take care of yourself and hopefully he will start to take care of himself.

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #235520 - 01/21/08 07:37 PM

Carrie..you want to see an increase in CD4 counts and an undetectable viral load. As "Oldwoman" said, all kinds of things can drop a CD4 count, stress, other infections, not eating, taking care of himself, possible the drug use..... if viral loads were formerly undetectable and are now climbing he needs to see his ID doctor. Carrie..he sounds as if he is on a self -destruct course. you can only help him so much; but he needs to help himself. You seem like a very smart lady..don't get sucked down with him. Being supportive is great..but not at the cost of your own health and welfare.
Take care,
Bernie

garret99

Reged: 01/31/08
      #236105 - 02/01/08 02:38 AM

i agree with the previous two posts....as for the bad street drugs,as i understand moderate use of alot of recreational drugs seem to not really pose a huge threat in of thenseves but they can make it so a person forgets to take there meds. alot of these drugs can also cause problems that can lead to mouth and skin sores.....i am new to this whole thing myself and one thing that i quickly came to turns with is that we as hiv'ers need to really need to put as much as we can into eating and sleeping right and going the extra mile to get as healthy as possible, a few months back i could hardly get out of bed and i just started at the bottom with a bit of walking in the house and yard and increasing my water intake and using vitamins, next i gave up sugar and got rid of all processed foods...thank god i am living 30 miles from the closest fast food restaurant. little by little and day by day i got to were all the small steps added up to one big one and so on and so on a year ago i was at a cd4 of 17 and almost dead,now i am over 200 and in 3 days i get my latest lab results.........i hope you can feel better soon

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5295

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3