Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Cure Yet?
      #196308 - 06/16/06 07:36 AM

hello people! errm firstly i would just like to say a big pat on the back for all the people givin advise and supporting other people on this forum .. ok.. my post is referring to something which most people might be thinking and its something which i cant get out of my head, now much time and research has been gone into halting progression of hiv and even for a cure. And thanks to this research many drugs have been developed which do a good job of it (slowing down the progress) not being a hiv status myself im still aware of the vast drugs available and how much the drugs company MAY be profiting from this due to the rising numbers of newly infected however, i cant help but to think that if scientist have developed this PEP drug which says it can be somewhat reduce/cut the transmission of Hiv in care workers due to accidental exposure, then why the cure or the complete halt of progression of hiv isnt even on the horizon yet?

maybe due to some corruption which involves high profits ( which wouldnt be hard to believe in the world we're living right now) could actually oversee the cure or a complete progression of hiv?

sorry for my poor english and grammer! and obviously if i may have offended anyone in some odd mannor, i just had to post this to get some response

thank you

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
Re: No Cure Yet? new
      #196372 - 06/16/06 01:28 PM

First of all, halting and even reversing the progression of the disease already IS a reality. That's how good the drugs are which are available now. The PEP drugs you talk about are nothing unique....they're the same drugs that are currently utilized to treat chronic infections. The only difference is that if the drugs are administered within 72 hours of exposure, there is an increased chance that the virus will not have been able to spread to parts of the body other than the circulatory system.

The drugs that we have today are extremely effective at blocking the virus while in the bloodstream. The main reason we don't have a cure yet is due to the fact that HIV is an extremely small virus....it gets into other parts of the body as well as the circulatory system (reproductive organs, lymph nodes, the brain, etc...). The medications we have available today cannot reach all of those areas. Also, some cells that are infected are slow to replicate...so they may end up being latent reservoirs which could begin producing new copies of the virus at a later date.

The greatest hope we have at this point is likely to be in the area of gene therapy. There are some tests underway which are studying ways to help the body to produce T cells which are immune to HIV. The theory here is that although a person would still be infected, it may not take medication to control the disease since the immune system would no longer be impacted by the virus.

Total erradication of the virus from the body, however, is unlikely....ever (at least not in our lifetimes). The virus just goes into too many places in the body. It's going to take a tremendous leap in technology before we're able to rid the virus entirely from the body.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: No Cure Yet? new
      #196816 - 06/20/06 06:58 PM

Wrong. Compare to cancer or lots of other diseases, researchers have turned HIV from a fatal disease to a disease you can live an almost normal life. Think about that before you start thinking about conspiracy theories.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5052

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3