Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
JimDandyinLO

Reged: 04/27/06
Preparing for treatment
      #188545 - 04/28/06 10:06 PM

I expect to be starting HAART within a few weeks (Dr proposes Epzicom+Reyetaz+Norvir.) Is there anything I can do to prepare myself before I start, and since my numbers aren't so bad (650/15,000), should I try to talk him out of the Norvir, which I understand is responsible for the worst side effects? (I'm also HCV+, expecting to start treatment late summer.)
Jim

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Preparing for treatment new
      #188602 - 04/29/06 10:32 AM

? you are starting meds whith numbers like that ? May I ask why?

JimDandyinLO

#188667 - 04/29/06 03:37 PM

I asked the same question. I am HCV coinfected, and having had that for 30+ years, it is time to treat it. Most sources do recommend treating even high-number HIV first because of the effects of HIV on success of HCV treatment and HCV treatment on HIV. I am unclear whether I will continue the HAART during the HCV treatment, which is pretty rough, but I have my post-biopsy meeting with doc next Tuesday, where I hope to get a more definite HCV prognosis and an actual treatment plan.

ishkar

Reged: 05/05/06
      #189975 - 05/06/06 01:55 PM

if your CD4 cell count is over 600, as you say,i think it's better wayting...my experience has been terryfing as i started the HAART in may 2000 (sustiva,combivir)my cell count was over 600 and was feeling good (poz from 1985).Just one year later i got seek with my left leg,no diagnosi until now! I've been walking with crutches in the last 5 years and actually is going better and better (i soon stopped the terapy and still i do, now my cell count is 281/70.000)Last week my doc advised me about starting Reyataz and Norvir...still i don't. I really would like to have trust but afraid, too much!sorry for my english!

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #190048 - 05/07/06 10:00 AM

Dude,

I don't know how old you are, but your CD4 at 650 seems nearly normal and a 15,000 viral load is negligible. I echo GMan, why are you starting meds? HCV does nasties to your liver over time and the Norvir, even at the 100 mg level you will likely start at, is hard on the liver. I would hold off a bit, do the HCV treatment, but AIDS meds? Your immune system seems to be handling the HIV just fine right now. Get your blood work done at regular intervals, to track the patten of your CD4, viral load. Do you know what your CD4 to CD8 ratio is? A persistent ratio below one is a predicator of progression to AIDS, even then my ratio dropped to 22% in 1994, and has persisted below that point ever since; but, I didn't get clinical AIDS until 2004.

And mate, no booze, no drugs, no cigarettes with HCV, OK? We want you around a long time to help us out when we need it.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

JimDandyinLO

#190074 - 05/07/06 01:29 PM

Hi, Scot!

Thanks for your reply!

I did get a second opinion of starting HAART with such good HIV numbers, and I did some homework on my own. It has more to do with improving my chances of benefiting from the HCV treatment than the likelihood I'll progress to AIDS anytime soon. I have g-type 1 HCV, so I need every advantage I can get.

I don't know my CD8 count, but I'll ask about it at next doc visit on 5/19. I don't recall seeing it on any of my labs.

Fortunately, I quit smoking about 10 years ago and already don't drink or use drugs any more. Too much aclohol and dope is what got me into this jam in the first place! I've been in recovery for some time.

Thanks so much for your advice and best wishes! I hope my experience can benefit others, too.

Jim

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #194681 - 06/05/06 11:59 PM

i would wait and think about it till you get results from biopsy,seems kinda strange to everything i hear or read about,but good luck,take care

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9011

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3