Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Atkins and Viramune
      #185290 - 04/08/06 12:42 AM

I have been POZ about 4 years now and on meds for about 3. All is going well undetectable VL with a high T cell count around 900. My only problem has been a conflict with my antidepressant caused by the viramune which I understand changes how my liver metabolizes some things. so we had to double the dossage to make up for that and my weight. My cholesterol and Triglycirides (excuse spelling please) are all out of wack and I am about 30 lbs overweight with a huge gut. I am just turning 50 this month. Doctor tells me the biggest danger now is my heart. Therefore I am dieting and using the Atkins approach which has worked for me in the past. I have now been on the hardcore no carbs all protein Atkins for a week and a half and have not lost a single pound which is very odd. This diet is based upon changes in your metabolism caused by the lack of carbs which puts you into a fat burning state called Kitosis. I have been incredibly strict about the diet but I don't think that I have gone into kitosis so my question is. Does viramune affect the mechanism of the liver that causes the Atkins diet to work? If so any comments on what diets do work? I have lost weight on the all carbs low fat diet but doctor says this would be the worst thing for my Triglicirides and recomended the Atkins or South Beach approach but those are based upon these changes in metabolism caused by high protein and low carb intake so now I am like what am I going to do. I don't eat that much and I am active but I can not get the weight to budge an ounce. Anyway if anyone knows if there is an issue with Viramune and this diet please let me know.

Thanks

Joe

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Atkins and Viramune new
      #185389 - 04/08/06 04:16 PM

Do you work out?

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

shadow1
Veteran

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Atkins and Viramune new
      #185431 - 04/08/06 07:26 PM

I was going to ask the same thing Bear, also it has not been long enough to actually show any loss. In addition, if you are doing some extra walking or gym time you need to know that if you have added any muscle mass, muscle weighs more than fat. So if you have developed any muscle it would offset the amount of fat that you have lost. The best way when trying to loose inches is to measure instead of weigh for the first month. I went from 250 and a 36 waist to 195 and a 33 inch waist and because I was working out and gaining muscle back I did not show the difference on the scale but on the tape for months.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5791

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3