Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
BrokenWingedBird
Expert

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
Terbinafine (Lamisil): does fungus recur?
      #176023 - 02/20/06 10:27 AM

Hi,

I posted this question to The Body's Experts two months ago but they haven't replied. Can anyone with experience of "HIV toenails" (onychomycosis) give me advice?

I have had badly infected toe-nails for four years now but to be frank they've been the least of my problems while battling with HIV. However, I'm in a good window right now - an HIV treatment that works and which isn't causing major side-effects. So, I'm thinking that maybe I could take Terbinafine now for the toe-nails. I have been painting my toenails now for eight months with tea-tree oil and vinegar and these seem to have helped all the nails except the big two - which are almost as bad as ever.

My concerns are: 1. added to my toxic HIV drugs, what will it do to my liver, etc, and 2. what's the likelihood of the fungus reasserting itself, if the turbinofine gets rid of it?

Thanks.

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
Re: Terbinafine (Lamisil): does fungus recur? new
      #176051 - 02/20/06 01:09 PM

HOLY CRAP!! my 2 big toenails were getting kinda gross also! so i did a little searching, and i found a "home remedy" from hints from heloise or something like that who recommended vicks vapor rub. (yes, the crap you smear all over your chest when your sick.) well, not wanting to take lamisil & really having nothing to lose (except my toenail which is where it was headed anyway) i tried it, and it worked! i mushed as much of the stuff i could get under there, smeared it all over the top of my nail, wrapped a bandaid around it put on a sock & went to bed. i did that everynight for about 2 weeks. i cut the toenail back as much as i could, without it looking like i put it in a blender & tried to wear as may open toe shoes or keep my shoe off as often as i could. gradually the toenail stopped looking yellow/green/brown and it grew back out attached. i also make sure when i get out of the shower to dry my feet & put a little rubbing alcohol on my toenails to make sure there isn't any water trapped under there. now i'm not sure if maybe what was going on with my toenails was the same as yours but that's just something that worked for me.

BrokenWingedBird
Expert

#176950 - 02/24/06 09:23 AM

Thanks Hellfire. I'll certainly give it a go. Maybe we were looking at the same site back then (for toenail cures). The site on which I found a LOT of discussion about toenail fungus was in California but it was clear that all the people talking on it were not HIV - or if any were, then they weren't saying. Many different alternative remedies were aired. I saw that daily painting with Tea-Tree Oil, or daily immersion in White Vinegar, were the most popular and apparently successful remedies. However, a few people championed Vicks Vapor Rub. Remembering it from childhood I thought, "Yuck, thick oily and messy!" But I'll certainly give it a go now . . . and keep my TOES crossed that it'll do the trick.

How long ago did it cure your problem and have you had any recurrence of toenail fungus since then? Do you still occasionally apply it?

There's so much evidence about the toll that our HIV meds take on our internal organs, like the liver and kidney, that I am reluctant to go swallowing terbinofine tablets for three to six months just to have normal-looking toenails.

Every three months when the clinic presents me with my next three-months's-worth of HIV tablets, I look at this whopping big bag and I think, "I've got to keeping shoving bags like this lot inside my body?"

A few weeks ago I had pain in my left side and my GP tested my urine and found traces of blood which he said was probably caused by crystals forming inside my kidney, causing a bit of damage. He said I should be continually drinking as much fluid as I can manage each and every day. That was the first time that anybody had mentioned this to me. It doesn't say this on any of the notelets that come inside the boxes of HIV meds. But I can see the sense of it.

ALL OF US ON HIV-MEDS NEED TO BE DRINKING LIKE FISH ALL THROUGH THE DAY TO HELP OUR BODIES FLUSH THESE DRUGS OUT ONCE THEY'VE DONE THEIR STUFF.

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #177118 - 02/24/06 09:26 PM

i haven't had it come back, no. but every once in awhile i'll appply some just to make sure. but i do try to keep the nails dry & trimmed. fortunaelty my boyfriend is a real freak about pretty toes so i really maintain them. keep them trimmed, buffed & filed. on another note, monistat cream works between your toes if they start to get kind icky from wearing closed toed shoes too often.

BrokenWingedBird
Expert

#177664 - 02/28/06 02:55 PM

Hellfire, thanks for second reply. Got my little jar of Vicks today and will start tomorrow morning. Gosh, when I opened that jar, did the pleasant aroma bring back childhood memories! If only mama hadn't gone and spoiled it by rubbing the yucky stuff it all over my chest!

--------------------

Mustang

Reged: 03/28/06
Loc: Michigan, USA
Broken-Winged Bird Call new
      #182933 - 03/28/06 07:21 PM

Dearest Broken-Wing:
I happened upon this site, and specifically one of your posts, while researching 'seroconverted' on Google. I spent the ensuing hour reading all of your posts... such a blessing to this group, you are. I recently lost my younger brother to Pick's disease (frontotemporal dementia) and was a member of the Pick's Support Group via the UK; your writings here brought back to memory the warmth and support I received there.

I wanted to make contact, give you my love, understanding and support through this horrendous ordeal. It would be an honor to get to know you better, but I understand completely if you chose otherwise. This is an odd introduction, to say the least.

I am a medical editor in northern Michigan, living in an old farmhouse with my dear husband, John, our golden retriever, Mikey, and 3 cats~Tuffy Buffy Bouncer (came with the husband (!)), Nathan Michael and Madeline Rose (my twin tabbies).

The reward of my lifetime has been my experience volunteering at our local Hospice House, through which I have found gifts I never knew I had. My brother's illness introduced me to this godsend organization, and it has changed my life forever.

I wanted you to know how you've touched my world. You are in my heart. Be well.
>^..^<
Sally

Anonymous
Unregistered

#209485 - 10/02/06 05:58 AM

Well I know nothing about drug interactions with HIV treatments, but I did take Lamisil(generic) for tonail infection. I only had it on one foot as it slowly spread from my small toe all the way to my big toe. The bottom of that foot was also always dry and often cracked. Anyways, after the couple months of treatment I noticed a difference. They all cleared up except the small toe, but the bottom of my foot was soft and smooth again. That was about 4 or so years ago. Then recently I noticed my foot was getting dry again, then it started spreading to the other tonails again. I got another prescription from my doctor and he said lamisil isn't a permanent cure for fungus. It works for a few years and usually comes back. It is quite pricey, but its nice having clean nails and not having dry cracked feet.

BrokenWingedBird
Expert

#214132 - 11/09/06 12:44 PM

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I take it you used the Lamisil cream? It's been produced here in the UK in the past few months in a stronger version that is quite expensive. 10GBP for a tiny tube that does one application. It clears fungus from the skin for up to three months. I bought this, with my hopes up, but the leaflet inside said not to use it if you have fungus in your nails. I expect this is because it just won't get at fungus beneath the nail. For this, it seems, the only solution is Terbinofine, taken orally, at causing some degree of risk/stress to the liver. After Sally's advice, above, I started on Loceryl (UK name) nail lacquer. I have been using it now for six months and some of my nails LOOK presentable. The big ones are no longer crumbly and thick, but firm. However, there is clearly fungus still at work under the nail, even after six months. I can tell this because new nail quickly discolours deep within. I hold out a little hope though because the two big nails do grow very very slowly, don't they, so if I just keep painting my nails twice a week, who knows. Recently, I found that not putting socks on for half an hour or so and holding my feet in front of heater during that half hour makes the lacquer less likely to be rubbed away by the socks.

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13571

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3