HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
AustinGuy
Regular

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Austin, Texas
Question about Alternative Therapies
      #173303 - 02/03/06 10:01 PM

I found out about my status relatively recently (October 05) and now am in the mode of learning all I can and trying to build a strategy for battling the virus.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with accupuncture as part of their therapy. I've heard it can help boost immune function and figure with 5000 years of history eastern medicine maybe should not be ignored here. There's actually an HIV center here where it is offered and I'm waiting to hear back from them but thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ReikiMasterPA
Unregistered

Re: Question about Alternative Therapies new
      #173317 - 02/04/06 01:07 AM

AUSTIN GUY.
I've recieved accupuncture treatments on and off for about six years. They TOTALLY eliminated the gross exagerated hiv neuropathy that challenged me to the point i walked for some time with a cane, WANTED A WHEELCHAIR but my god, with that sort of pain, ANYTHING to get off my legs, and still be able to get arround the city, (live in center city philadelphia where a wheelchair is nightmare on busses, trolleys, and electric trains, imagine!....
anyway, accupuncture, after the first three or four sessions, (i went once a week) in combination with things like bananas (they say the potassium in bananas helps neutralise the neuropathy)... after the first three or four weeks, i felt a definite improvement, so, to test it, discontinued the therapy and within weeks, it was terrible symptoms again. i went BACK to the treatments and of course, within weeks, i was again feeling great relilef.
I used this in combination with a japanese hands-on body energy treatment modality called reiki (its a touch therapy based on the body energy much like accupuncture is based on the energy meridian lines in the body) Im certain the COMBINATION of two or more modalities in the alternative therapies arsenal is optimal. Its ok to try one at a time, so y ou can isolate just which process helps y ou, and yet its also true that combinations help. I call it the alternative cocktail.
tai chi cuan is also wonderful.
the optimal thing about tai chi and reiki is that once you learn it, you do it to YOURSELF, at home, whenever you like, and youre not dependant on appointments that for many are costly, and for others who are poor or very ill, are expensive.
At one point it was more painful for me to make the session appointments than it was to just get by without them. THIS is where reiki tai chi yoga breathwork and meditation helped.
Accupuncture is great for all SORTS of things.
to look at a reiki site, if its permitted for us to post such things here, you can go visit
www dot geocities dot com slash ReikiMasterPAL slash index dot html
this site wil give you a full overview of reiki, a short history, applications, benefits, HOW IT WORKS, etc.
If you have access to accupuncture, be sure to ask the practitioner if there are herbal things you can do in conjunction.
good day,
M'Taka

AustinGuy
Regular

#173370 - 02/04/06 12:03 PM

Awesome - thank you for all the info. I have been wanting to try Tai Chi and think there is a weeknight class I can make. i will check ou tth accupuncture and let you know - hopefully will hear back from the local center on Monday and I can make an appointment.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174028 - 02/08/06 01:37 AM

AustinGuy if you are looking for alternatives that will help boost your immune system, then you should check out www.wholebody-dietary-supplements.com

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #174395 - 02/09/06 05:46 PM

Natural remedies unfortunately have so far proven to NOT be effective against any viral infections (it sure would be nice if they were!).

Things such as Accupuncture, yoga, etc... may be of assistance if you develop a condition which includes physical pain, but alternative therapies won't halt or even slow the natural progression of the virus in your body.

There's no reason to fear the traditional Western medicines for treating HIV. They're highly effective, convenient to take, low in side effects (many people don't experience ANY side effects), and they're low in toxicity. People starting treatment today can pretty much expect to live out a normal life span thanks to those medications.

If for your peace of mind, you want to augment the medications with alternative therapies...well, that's your right to do so, but so far the only effective treatments are the anti-retroviral medications.

AustinGuy
Regular

#174432 - 02/09/06 09:45 PM

will do - thanks

AustinGuy
Regular

#174434 - 02/09/06 09:48 PM

I hear what you are saying- and by no means am I afraid of, nor won't use western medicine. I just think that 5000 years of eastern medicine mean maybe it should not be ignored. I've read in several places that accupuncture can help the immune system - though I can't claim to have looked for serious science studies.

As for yoga - regardless of HIV status I'd tell anyone to try it - it's a workout, it's mentally refreshing and many find it spiritual. Don't knock it til you try it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7302

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3