Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Free Hiv meds(generic) in Malaysia and Thailand?
      #165298 - 11/25/05 09:39 PM

Does anyone knows what types of drug are available over there? I've done some googling and apparently both Malaysia as well Thailand are dispensing Hiv medications for free over there (generic).

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FactFinder
New User

Reged: 11/11/04
Re: Free Hiv meds(generic) in Malaysia and Thailand? new
      #165400 - 11/27/05 10:40 AM

Hi, I live in Thailand and am not aware of free HIV medication here for foreigners. I do know that the government has been producing generic versions of HIV medications which it dispenses through government hospitals. This program is aimed at benefiting Thais, so I doubt a foreigner would qualify, unless you were working here legally. As an aside, I read a report some months back that suggested even this scheme was leaving a number of Thais untreated.

I will add, however, that the cost of medical care, including prescriptions for Western medicines, appears lower here than in the States. My doctor visit costs me $15; my CD4/VL scan costs about $125. My prescription for herpes medicine is about half what it would cost in the States. I am not yet on HIV meds so cannot comment on their affordability.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Free Hiv meds(generic) in Malaysia and Thailan new
      #165671 - 11/29/05 08:21 PM

Thanks FactFinder, it's good that at least those two gov't are doing something to help their own people. I heard that non resident of Thailand could still get Hiv medications at substancial discount as compared to other countries such as US or Singapore.

CRudant
New User

Reged: 01/29/06
      #172246 - 01/29/06 03:14 PM

I have heard of several people who use AAS as part of their treatment and visit Pattya, Thailand because of the cheap meds. It's 10x easier to obtain and you pay 1/10 of the price you would in the states. I've never been myself, but there are a few references online if you're looking into a trip.

Samindo
Unregistered

#174408 - 02/09/06 07:17 PM

Hi Crudant,

I'm looking for a trip to Thailand and getting some treatment and medication in Bankcok. Can you give me some references as you mention in your message. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181256 - 03/20/06 02:56 PM

You can also get cheap prices on international generics from 1800usaverx. they have a website too. And they meet all the critera laid out in John Henkel's article here on the Body (http://www.thebody.com/fda/onlinedrugs.html)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181638 - 03/22/06 11:36 AM

Well, apparently even President Clinton is comfortable with international generics from India for treating HIV. His foundation has brokered a big deal to buy international generics from India (just like we can get ourselves from places like 1800usaverx.cim) for treating HIV in Africa and China.

Here are a couple links to articles on the deal:

http://www.health24.com/news/HIV_AIDS/1-920,34686.asp

http://www.browndailyherald.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=5e180db3-c2df-4139-a5dd-cfb2351942b8

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187734 - 04/24/06 11:41 AM

Traveling to Thailand can be expensive. An easier and cheaper solution is to fill your prescriptions from an offshore pharmacy like 1800USAVERX (does anyone know of others?). They process your prescription via fax and ship the drugs directly to you at seriously discounted prices.

gordon33
New User

Reged: 08/14/07
      #229514 - 08/16/07 02:08 AM

Yes there is generic drugs available in Thailand Viread, stocrin & lamivudine. The best place to go is where I go Bummrungrad Int Hospital. They cost about B5,000 per month and then add to this your blood tests B5,000/ 3 months

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13227

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3