Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

mortality and rich vs poor
      #163289 - 11/03/05 06:12 PM

I just read the article re: low income people dying more then rich educated people, I am on medicaid unemployed -(doc recommended I apply for diability) I have a private doctor who prescribed AZT, Sustiva and Truvada all covered thru medicaid.....is there something else I should know or be using that is not available to me because I am not rich. I do remember a buzz going around that a "famous" person is still alive for so long because he is rich and has better health professionals...can that be true?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
Re: mortality and rich vs poor new
      #163340 - 11/03/05 11:20 PM

Just be on the ball. I know that Medicaid starting at the beginning of the year will not becovering scripts. You may want to check further into that. I personally believe that yes it is easier for wealthier people to have more easy routes fo a healthier lifestyle (ie: no stress from monetary problems, they can hire cooks to make them healthy meals plus can afford the healthier foods!) BUT I also believe it is all in your head how healthy you want to be. If you make a concentrated effort to excercise and eat right and never miss your meds...you get the picture. Keep a positive outlook and never stop fighting.

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #163352 - 11/04/05 09:17 AM

The previous poster is right, the rich live longer not only because they have access to better health care, but also because they don't have the stress of being poor. I worked on a study of people on inability in Glasgow, Scotland which showed that the stress of poverty makes people sicker. What we noticed was that a great many people moved from unemployment to inability, and stayed inabled for many years. In Glasgow, nearly 30% of the working age population is on inability, unemployment tops 50% in many areas, and the economy has never recovered from the loss of shipping decades ago.

What this old academic is telling you is to seek peace no matter what your social or economic standing, and you can live longer too. Sadly, most Glaswegians seek the solace of booze and drugs for their bit of peace. Good luck, friend.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you are on good medications new
      #163762 - 11/09/05 06:57 PM

It sounds like for now you are being taken care of very well. Any of us need to be constantly doing research to ensure we are being properly cared for, rich or poor. You have access to a computer so that is a great resource to stay on top of things. I would encourage you to seek out ways to simplify your life, to make your happiness less dependent on the materialistic things, this way you can eliminate some of the stress of worrying about money.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#163782 - 11/09/05 10:04 PM

Why are you take AZT and Truvada? Is this your first regimen? Are you resistant to something?

soimnotalone
Fanatic

Reged: 10/28/05
      #163830 - 11/10/05 10:47 AM

AZT that is short for Zithromax, right? (generic name atzhromycin)--once a week. I was just diagnosed 9-05 and started meds within a week, the dr said this with the sustiva and truvada were the best option, I never had anything else so I do not believe that I am resistant to any other drug, nor am I allergic to anything pssssst is there something I/he over looked

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #163837 - 11/10/05 12:32 PM

You shouldn't need AZT and Truvada. AZT is one of the components in Combivir...a competitor of Truvada (Truvada is a combination of Viread and Emtriva). AZT is an older medication. It carries greater toxicity than the components of Truvada, has to be taken more frequently than Truvada, and has been associated with both anemia and lipo-atrophy.

It you're really on AZT, I'd talk with your doctor. Given the fact that you're on Truvada, you shouldn't really need the AZT.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #163856 - 11/10/05 03:30 PM

azt is zidovudine. or retrovir. zithromax is used to help treat bacterial infections. I'm not sure if its used for the same reasons as "bactrim" is used......as in to help prevent certain pnemonias and such. so, do not stop the use of the zithromax.
how are your numbers doing on your medication?
love and prayers,
debbie

soimnotalone
Fanatic

Reged: 10/28/05
      #163922 - 11/11/05 10:45 AM

I am on bactrim--some generic name starting with sulfa---something or other, I was just diagnosed in sept this year at that time my cd4 was 4 and my vl was 44k my wbc was 0.9 recently my wbc went up to 1.9 and then to 4.0 then last week dropped to 2.9, my id dr won't see me again for blood work until 12-19 I will keep you guys posted---if I don't freak myself out worrying about everything else :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9616

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3