Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Infects and CD4
      #66675 - 07/01/03 09:08 AM

I have a question I am not sure this is the best place to ask it but I can not think of anywhere else.

My question is people with HIV get different infections, some of them not very nice at all, But I was just wondering do you only get these infections once you CD4 has fell below a point eg CD4 below 200 Then people will pick up infections.

Here is the uk they put you on treatment once you CD4 has hit 200, so will people with a CD4 higher than 200 not get infections and if there CD4 falls to 200 and they then go onto treatment there CD4 rises are they then clear of getting infections?

If the above is true I was just wondering why so many people seem to have different types of infections, The other thing is how long will the drugs work, If you take your treatment on time every time then should the drug work until the end of time or will you slowly build up resistant. But why do you build up resistant if you are taking you drug as you should?

Do people think there will ever be a cure or some kind of medicine that will work to the end of time?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Infections and CD4 new
      #66676 - 07/01/03 09:10 AM

Sorry that should have been Infections and CD4 not Infects and CD4

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Infects and CD4 new
      #66894 - 07/03/03 08:42 AM

Hey Anon,
Can i share my knowledge (check with a doctor). I have been positive 8 years and i am very lucky as my cd4 count is approz 690. Like where you are in my home country New ZEaland and where I live now Australia it is also common to start people on medication when their cell count lowers to 200 or their viral loads goes above 30,000. The reason I was told is that everyones immune functions in different ways and they believe that once the immune system lowers below 200cd4 cells then the immune system is getting so low that it is less effective in fighting potential infections and will need some boostering. The reason why they dont start treatments sooner is that alot of the drugs have a limited shelf life inside ones body (again this differs from person to persona nd drug to drug) so they dont want to exhaust your drug options and use them up to fast, even though theere are a lot more drugs coming out now for public use, so that is less of a worry. The answer to the question why is there so many infections? A lot of infections we pick up throughout our life, from sexual practices, through the womb, through other influences (like toxoplasmosis from cats) and while our immune system is strong we can keep these under control, but as our immune system weakens, potential illnesses may be activated allowing conditions to enter the system and take advantage of the lowering immune system and in turn make the person ill. Nowawadays alot of the illnesses that may have been fatal for a person with aids, are now treatable and not as fatal for the patient. From what ive been told that even if a person 100% adheres to their drug taking then yes over time the virus does mutate enough that the drugs may not be as effective in the system and will have to be changed, but if you dont adhere properly then this will happen at a much faster rate and you will have to change drugs a lot sooner than necessary, possibly exhausting your drug options. Now I dont want to sound all doom and gloom, I do believe that one day there will be a cure and for all we know it could be found any day soon, but in the meantime Hiv Aids medications have come a long way since the 1980s and we are all staying well longer and living longer, so i think we should count our small blessings. I wish you luck and remember you arent dying from the virus, you are LIVING with it. Make the most of every day and enjoy life to the maximum, its a precious gift.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3244

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3