Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Therapy side effect (tolerable ?)
      #57167 - 02/02/03 10:37 AM

What major side effect did u experience ? is it tolerable and would the others know u are infected ?..When will the effect of lipodstrophy show up ? (e.g fat distribution change or cholesterol level change) ? What is the average life expectancy (as u know amongst those infected) for treatment or no treatment ?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
killfoile

Reged: 12/23/02
Loc: Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Therapy side effect (tolerable ?) new
      #57302 - 02/04/03 10:16 AM

Dear Anonymous,

The questions you ask, while being understandable, are extremely hard to answer. Many of them depend upon the length of your hiv infection, which medication you take, your compliance to your health care and multiple others.

So I'll try and be general and maybe that will give you a starting point. From there you can seek specific answers to those issues that interest you.

I have been positive for 17 years, I worked for 9 of those years, while taking medication and none of my coworkers knew of my infection. The side effects I experienced from all my various drugs are way too numerous to list. But you can adjust and get through the initial side effects and continue leading a relatively normal life.

As to your question about lipodystrophy, it usually depends upon which medications you take. Protease Inhibitors are the usual cause of lipodystrophy, but there are others. For some people, the effects are minimal. For others, like me, the effects were profound. But by stopping the drug, after 4 years, most of my fat re-distribution disappeared. Again, there are so many multiple factors that you really cannot make generalizations.

And lastly, as to the life expectancy issue, I have many friends who have lived in excess of 20 years with the virus.

So I hope I have given you some food for thought.

I would suggest that maybe you change your outlook about being infected and view any future treatment in a positive fashion. If you ready yourself with the knowledge you need and believe that your treatment will be successful and tolerable, I believe that will go a long way to your being able to adapt to whatever the future holds. Don't forget how powerful the mind is, you can alter your view of things to come and possibly make your journey so much easier.

Good luck.

Good Health, Joe

If you remember me, through simple acts of kindness, I will live forever.

--------------------
Good Health, Joe

Life is what happens, when you are busy making other plans.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3646

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3