Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gardener

Reged: 12/19/13
Loc: East coast
New to forum
      #274497 - 12/19/13 09:55 PM

Hi all, I've been reading this forum and just decided to sign up and post. I tested poz in August. It's been a tough few months but things seem to be normalizing a bit. I appreciate everyone's posts and sharing. Makes me feel I'm not crazy with all the stuff going on in my head. I started taking stribild about a month ago. So far no side effects so I feel good about that. Honestly kinda nervous about my first visit back to the doc. I'm hoping for good news.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: New to forum new
      #274499 - 12/19/13 11:55 PM

Welcome to the land of Poz!

Some people will try to pull a sympathy trip on you or wish it was under different circumstances we met ... the thing with being diagnosed positive is to be positive. You got the visit from the "friend that won't go home"!

Your on meds, you have a great medical team, I hope! Things will be great going forward. Accept it, own it, just don't let it live your life and you'll be great.

I was diagnosed Feb/13, getting close to one year now and it's been a great experience, not something I would wish for anyone, but it's important to make lemonade! I know I was one of the lucky one's, never got the "oh woe is me" thing, just took the news and made a new life out of it (well not so much a life, as a new ME)!

Again welcome, don't be shy, this is a great place to just post something, anything, we all want to hear your story, hear your journey ... you are not alone!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Gardener

#274517 - 12/21/13 08:30 AM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Edited by Gardener (12/21/13 08:30 AM)

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274543 - 12/24/13 09:37 AM

From someone thats been pos and on meds for 20 years, know that your going to be just fine. At first life may seem a bit different but in time it will be just another day as usual. Enjoy the holidays and take care.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Teedo

Reged: 12/25/13
      #274558 - 12/26/13 12:14 AM

I understand what ur going through completely. I tested pos in October 2012 when I got bloodwork done bc I just found out I was pregnant. Just days before I was the happiest I had ever been finding out about the pregnancy and now I was sitting in my doctors office being told I was pos. The range of emotions were endless but I had to remain positive,if not for myself, then for my baby. I consider my baby my miracle bc without him who knows how long I would have gone undiagnosed. It's been just over a year and I still consider myself "newly diagnosed". It does get easier as the days go on and u find new reasons within yourself to be strong and fight. I've still been struggling with the aspect of telling someone other then my husband (who tested pos as well). I have a very close knit family and have come very close to telling my siblings but I'm afraid of how scared and hurt they will be by the news. My son just turned 1 and everyday I prep myself for how I will have to one day tell him.

lovableo
Regular

Reged: 11/22/11
      #274563 - 12/26/13 03:59 AM

Welcome aboard. You are amongst good friends now. We here are what you would call your new alphabet family (HIV/AIDS), just joking a little lol. We here are family. Feel free to pm any of us whenever you feel the need to. Happy Holidays :-)

riverprincessModerator

#274578 - 12/27/13 06:49 PM

Family and even friends reactions will in a big part react accordingly to how your reacting about yourself. For example , my sisters that are nurses were very upset. Especially my one sister that deals with some pos people in the hospital where she works. But they are usuallythose that are also struggling with other medical issues . But oce my sister saw me, saw my positive ( pun not intended ) attitude, she like the rest of my family handled it much better. So if you portray yourself like it's the end of the world so will your family and friends. Show than that it just a matter of one of lifes inconviences then they too will see that it's " OK"

--------------------

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274601 - 12/29/13 10:00 PM

Let me be like all the others and welcome you to a family we wish never had another member! I'm like Riverprincess. Been HIV+ for a long time (more than 25 years) and getting along just fine. We don't always agree on everything said here, because we are 2 different people. You will become part of the big HIV+ family, but you will also always be your own individual. NEVER loose that!

The great thing about entering into this situation at this time in life is that there have been MANY before you, and we've basically gotten it down to what needs to be done to treat someone. Not just the physical treatment. Yes, going to the doctor is very important. But, along with health care comes other issues. You're going through what is probably the most underserved one - mental health. Underserved but not ignored. If you feel overwhelmed please talk with your HIV clinic and ask for help. A nurse or case manager might be able to sit down and talk with you. Or, they might be able to refer you to a support group. Never be ashamed of feeling uneasy. HIV can be complicated with much information requiring many questions to get all the answers you want. Questions you probably don't even know to ask, yet.

Let me start with a few that most people ask at the beginning -
1) How long do I have to live? Until you die. Noone I know has ever had an expiration date stamped on the bottom of their foot. Take care of yourself, eat correctly, see your doctors and do what they say and you'll live much longer. HIV is far from the "instant death sentence" as first reported in the media 30 years ago. It's a long-term, manageable disease.

2) Is there a cure? Nope. And, despite excellent research probably not in the near future. In the entire history of mankind we have discovered how to stop 1 virus - smallpox. Using an inoculation. We can't cure it once you've got it, but with a shot we can prevent it. HIV is a virus. Immensely difficult to treat. near impossible to cure.

3) What about treatments? Nearly 40 different medications are currently being used to treat HIV. It takes a combination of meds to be taken at the same time, so there aren't 40 different treatments you can try. You take Stribild. A very new combination pill made up of 4 different meds. There are always new meds in development. Most of the newer meds also come with fewer, less serious side effects.

4) Should I be nervous? Probably not. If there was something seriously wrong with your bloodwork the clinic would have you go in immediately. Not wait for your next appointment. But, everyone including myself gets nervous.

5) Everyone on the street/in the store/at church will know I'm HIV+. Yeah, they will if you wear a sweat shirt with that plastered on it. Otherwise, there is no outward indication that a person is HIV+. If you have a 4" nose with a big wart on the end and hair that sticks out every direction on a good day people are still going to look at you funny. But, in this wonderful world we live in people are still more concerned about their own lives and take little to no notice of the people around them.

Please ask questions here. Or, PM people. The only bad question is the unasked question. Doesn't matter how many times others have asked it if you don't know the answer.

Gardener

#274629 - 01/02/14 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Happy new year to all! I haven't been on the site in a few days. I appreciate the insights. The last week has been pretty busy. I've seen a lot of friends and family which has been great but also somewhat sad for me. Especially with this in the back of my mind. I try not to dwell on it but sometimes difficult. I keep thinking about life in terms of before and after HIV...holidays, events, pictures, etc. How did others do with the holidays?

riverprincessModerator

#274639 - 01/03/14 03:22 PM

Holidays can be difficult for many even if their not pos. As for me being pos has helped me to put the holidays into perspective. The only thing that tends to pull my spirit down is to feel the hardships of tragadies that you have heard about in the news over the past year. Or if a family member is in the hospital. But then I am reminded why we have the holidays to begin with Whether it's Christ mas or a New year for new beginnings.

--------------------

anotherday

#274644 - 01/03/14 09:59 PM

You know Gardener, you said the key words right there in your post: "I've seen a lot of friends and family which has been great but also somewhat sad for me." ... was it making them sad, no, the key is they still love you and care for you the same way, HIV or not. Sure they don't know, but if it has been changing you, they would have noticed. Don't let HIV live your life, it's just along for the ride.

Yes you dwell on it, yes you seem to create a "before and after" scenario ... that's normal, but just know your still you. If you hadn't been diagnosed yet, but still had HIV, how would you be?

My holiday season was amazing, being my first with HIV involved, I had an awesome time, my family had an awesome time. It's only HIV, it's not that big of a deal, but now that you have it and yes at one time it was a big nasty that meant "the end", not anymore, but still enjoy life, enjoy the moments that without HIV you may have just let them slide by without a glance! Become a better person than what you were and think of what is now possible!

--------------------

riverprincessModerator

#274649 - 01/04/14 10:03 AM

Teedo , You have a long time before your even close to haveing to tell your son. Don't waste any energy on those thoughts hon. Use that instea to fully enjoy every moment , every new goal , every blessing that surounds you and your child. You have a glorious life ahead .rejoice and be glad in it.!

--------------------

ImaniKe

Reged: 01/05/14
Loc: Nairobi, Kenya
      #274663 - 01/05/14 06:24 PM

Hi! Also a newbie here, though I have been camped on the site since week one of diagnosis in August 2012 as well. You are all so encouraging and awesome. Thanks new family!

riverprincessModerator

#274664 - 01/05/14 06:49 PM

Well I'm so glad you decided to finally come and say hello. I thought I saw something moving about the bush to the left of the camp site. That was you?! Feel free to talk ask or even sing a song if you want.And feel free to pm and say a quiet hello if you want. We don't bite......only nibble.

--------------------

anotherday

#274687 - 01/07/14 02:40 PM

Welcome Imanike, it's nice to see another person step out of the side lines and want to share their journey. It's this positive response to being positive that really makes us stronger in numbers, we can achieve anything.

It always makes me feel so good to hear someone getting comfortable with their life journey through conversation and encouragement and self strength.

Again welcome and if the forum is a bit much and you want to chat in private I am available there too!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4399

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3