Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Bmora0Tx

Reged: 08/02/13
Loc: Dallas, Tx
25yr. old diagnosed 8/1/13
      #273255 - 08/02/13 03:53 AM

Yesterday 8/1/13 I found out that I am HIV positive for HIV 1/2...I'm dealing with it suprisingly well, probably because I've always known that catchin it was a possibility especially with the life I was living, I'm not afraid or feelin sorry for myself but I am dissappointed in myself that I was dumb and didn't wise up sooner. I know nothing about medications or how this will effect my life. i told my mom and my older brother who are both very supportive. I'm thankful for them. My name is Brad and I'm 25yrs old and I have HIV. crazy shit to think about especially with google at my fingertips. but gotta stay positive, get it?... positive lol. Sorry sometimes laughter is the best medicine. keep ya heads up!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bmora0Tx

Re: 25yr. old diagnosed 8/1/13 new
      #273256 - 08/02/13 04:02 AM

Anybody feel like talkin feel free to hit me up. I could use the convo.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #273260 - 08/02/13 09:11 AM

Hey there , I totally understand how your feelin. I knew I was pos before it was offocial 20years ago. And again it was due to my life style . I was a herion user for 20 years. Well I've been pos now for going on over 20 and you know what, Iit has made me see life and persue a life thats been better than ever. Come pm me anytime my friend . Life still goes on and to a better beat .

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #273274 - 08/02/13 10:59 PM

Good on ya Brad, when you know it's a possibility or you kinda mentaly prepare your thinking for the chance of contracting HIV it really isn't all that bad when it does happen. When you get it and embrace it as something new in your life it really can be just a "here I am the same person I was yesterday, but today I have HIV now" ... when you catch that "positive vibe" of being Positive ... get it? lol ... it really makes coming to terms with it a whole lot easier.

It's totally cool to feel disappointed for a while, "damn I shouldn't have done that" kinda thing ... but it's yours now and what you do with it ... will add to the great person you were before HIV! I was diagnosed just this past Feb/13, so I'm kinda new too but wow, it totally turned my life around in a huge positive way. It won't be that way for everybody, and I don't recommend anyone having life problems to go out and contract it to better their lives, HIV doesn't work that way, but if it comes to live with you, own it, be responsible with it and really look at what it can do to now enhance your life!

You can PM me any time bud, would be great to have a friend in Texas!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Bmora0Tx

#273276 - 08/02/13 11:45 PM

Waddup another day nice to meet ya. Wow you're new to this too. what's it like? I haven't started meds yet I have an appt. next week/

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #273277 - 08/03/13 12:11 AM

It is a whole new world, really cleared some thinking for me and the way I see life now, everything for the better I might add.

Put trust in your medical team, do as they say and all you have to do is start looking at living. The doctor will recommend the med procedure, I know I had a very bad start with very low cd4, well below 100 and a 410,000vl ... it didn't look good but I got on meds immediately and within a few days even, I could feel the change happening, I was feeling alot better, health wise ... my mind was already in fast forward from diagnosis day, so the meds just enhanced the buzz!

Your going to do great, you have an awesome family support network and of course you have all of us here, I found an awesome HIV family on this site, I have some real great friends here to talk to when i just can't seem to get the message out around home, these guys always get me going again.

Welcome to "the body" site, don't be a stranger and feel free to private anyone one of us, anytime, were always here to have a great chat!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

thasiege

Reged: 08/09/13
      #273343 - 08/09/13 03:13 AM

Brandon I was just tested positive on 7/29. I have not told any friends or family...so I applaud you. Ive been reading that its important to develop a support system. I think ill use hiv aids support group and then gauge if I will inform family friends. You're not alone man. There seems to be a lot of info out there and people who want to help.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #273436 - 08/14/13 11:49 AM

Brad, sorry to hear about your testing positive. A few things to let you know before you start to worry....

Medications - There are some wonderful meds out there! Actually, all of them are wonderful meds if used correctly. You may or may not start meds right away. Most if not all the meds will have side effects. The thing is to take the meds the first couple of months and try to get through them and let the meds help.

Your life - HIV will only have as big an impact on your life as you let it. Most of us with the virus have a life outside of HIV. My HIV life entails taking my pill once a day. About 5 seconds. If HIV were going to control my life it's doing a poor job of it.

25 is young to find out. You probably felt like you haven't had a chance to live life, yet. There's no reason you can't live life now and for the next 30 or 40 years. HIV will probably not kill you. Stress, cancer, getting hit by the buses falling out of the sky - those are going to be your major concerns.

You're not now, but you will at some point in the future feel sorry for yourself. Welcome to the world.

For those who want to feel sorry about having HIV I like to recommend 2 movies to watch -

1) Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks. Shows what a person had to suffer through in the early days. But, does it in a way that shows his family's support and love.

And, 2) And, The Band Played On - not entirely historically accurate, but close enough for color TV. Shows the very beginning of the pandemic from Africa to the CDC (under the stewardship of our senile president Reagan). Be sure to read the screens that come up. I cry when I watch that movie no matter how many times I've seen it.

There should be another movie entitled "And, The Band Is Still Playing" that continues the story of how we live our lives with HIV in the 21st century.

I can give you good news - you're going to live! I test people for HIV. Many of whom I test are your age or younger. I've been positive for longer then they or you have been alive.

Side note - the HIV test you took was simply for HIV. There are two subtypes - 1 and 2. 1 is predominant in North America and Europe. 2 is predominant in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. If you live in North America chances are greater than 99% that you have type 1. The test you took would have showed a positive result for either type 1 or 2 (HIV 1/2).

Send me a private message if you want to talk.

Charles

blackrose

Reged: 08/20/13
      #273499 - 08/20/13 02:02 AM

I was dumb and didn't wise up sooner. I know nothing about medications or how this will effect my life. i told my mom and my older brother who are both very supportive. I'm thankful for them. My name is Brad and I'm 25yrs old and I have HIV. crazy shit to think about especially with google at my fingertips. but gotta stay positive, get it?

--------------------
GuL

mark4586lopez

Reged: 08/31/13
      #273659 - 08/31/13 12:34 PM

Life has to move on. Of course, there are down moments and those moment will always be there. But still, life has to move on.

jbrice

Reged: 12/20/13
Loc: South Carolina
      #274505 - 12/20/13 10:48 AM

I think its very beneficial to find out early on who your allies and enemies are. I believe people should be respected and loves as they are and not what someone expects you to be. If you need a social support network, consult a counselor or doctor in your area that specializes in HIV/AIDS Mental Health Therapy. Good luck!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5405

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3