Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
codexborgia

Reged: 04/18/13
Just tested Positive last week...
      #271722 - 04/18/13 11:12 AM

Hi Guys...
I am recently diagnosed HIV Positive. I have always been pretty physically active, Spinning 3 - 4 days week, Lifting, goes up and down from 2 -5 days week.
I have already done all my preliminary blood draw, for baseline info, genotyping, viral load, TC, I go in this coming monday to meet with my new HIV Dr and discuss treatment options.
I am concerned about possible side effects from meds, and what you have found best diet wise and if there are any holistic treatments that are available and safe to perhaps counteract any side effects I may experience.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Just tested Positive last week... new
      #271725 - 04/18/13 05:55 PM

I was hoping someone else would see your post and respond sooner, just cause I'm not good at saying the right thing all the time. Yet I also don't want you to think no one cares, so here it goes.

HIV doesn't need to change your life any more than what you want it to. It's a virus, a particularly nasty one, but still a virus. Nothing more nothing less. You have full control. A lot of people finding out they have HIV can be unsettling at best. You automatically believe you have to change your whole style of living and have to have it centered around HIV. Just not the truth.

Truth is at first you will have tons of dr appts. They seem never ending and you will know every inch of your dr's waiting room by heart. You may even forget that you have a home. That's because at first there are a lot of tests, then there are more tests dependent on the treatment options you choose, how far along you are, etc. But after the first six months they die down. Eventually you have a dr appt every six months or so. It really doesn't make that big of an impact.

Unless you love to eat fast food for every other meal you don't need to change your diet much if at all. You may want to stay away from grapefruits and other such foods when you start meds, they can have a negative impact on the meds, but really not a big deal. If you already eat balanced meals you are good. You can still have your burger and fries, but not at every meal. I enjoy a burger or fast food about once a week. Sometimes twice if truth be told. No harm done except to my wallet.

I realize a lot of people will swear by herbal/OTC remedies for different ailments brought on by meds. BUT DON"T go into it expecting to have side effects. Today's first line meds are not as prone to side effects as other older meds. People are experiencing few to no side effects from their first meds after the initial first 30 days. When they do they are usually mild and more of a nuisance than an issue. If they are an issue you should talk with your dr or their nurse about what to do to combat them. This keeps them informed and helps them better tailor your treatment. Plus a lot of herbal/OTC drugs interact POORLY with HIV medications. You could make the side effects worse, make the meds useless, or even cause a toxic reaction. Talking with your dr or their staff is much safer than taking advice willie-nillie. They can guide you to what is safe and what isn't.

You already have the exercise down so that doesn't need to change. I would suggest getting into a local support group so you can talk to others in person and get support. Good luck and if you have any other questions or just need to talk many of us here are happy to do so.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #271726 - 04/18/13 07:35 PM

Awww Kicker , you know your stuff and know how to explain it very well. It's the nuerotics that just drive you cranky. lol We ,I, love ya Kicker and get a good laugh at times when someone gets your goat up lol. But you gave this poster excellent advice.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

codexborgia

#271730 - 04/18/13 08:01 PM

WOW...Thanks Kicker I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. It correlates alot with what I already know or have been told by immediate inner circle, a few of whom are HIV Poz. But thought I would ask anyway, as I want to give my immediate group a break from my non stop questions or concerns.
Thanks again, your response as helped to allay my immediate concerns and of course to take it as it comes, and stay in contact with my Dr.
Cheers to you!

codexborgia

#271731 - 04/18/13 08:11 PM

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2345

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3