HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
YellowFever

Reged: 09/27/12
Loc: Asia
Too naive to hope for a cure?
      #268058 - 10/13/12 11:46 PM

Hi all,

I'm in my mid-20s and just tested poz a month ago. Been reading up on ALOT of info from thebody, TAG, aidsmap and so on (Apprarently that's how my mind copes). Sounds like our researchers are about 10-15 years away from a cure (according to D. Margolis and S. Deeks anwyays)...

So in my mind when reading all this, I'm thinking: Well if there's going to be a cure in 15 years time, lets get prepared for it. I mean, wouldn't it be awful if they found some sort of a cure but it excluded you because you had too much irreversible damage in your body already?

Does it make sense to orientate one's treatment plan with that in mind? Or am I just like the ones who hoped for a cure in 15 years after the widespread use of ARVs in '96? Am I naive?

This question popped into my head after discovering that while HIV medicine is free in my country (Nevirapine & Efavirenz), it is only available to those whose CD4 is less than 350. Does that mean I'm going to have a huge latent pool in my body by the time I start HAART?

--------------------
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415/15%, VL ?
04/2013 Next Reading

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Too naive to hope for a cure? new
      #268207 - 10/16/12 08:18 PM

You'll have something , just not sure what your looking to achieve.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #268209 - 10/16/12 08:59 PM

We all hope for a cure. Until that times comes we do our best dealing with the meds that are available. Not all meds will be available in all countries. Unfortunately, HIV meds are some of the most expensive. Luckily, there are almost always ways to get your meds at either a reduced cost or for free.

A cure in 15 years? I wish! It's always good to be optimistic. There may be a cure found today that just hasn't hit the news, yet. Let me fill you in on a little bit of relatively unremembered HIV history. In the beginning (the early 1980's) the general thinking was HIV wasn't something that anyone had to worry about too much. They were going to find a cure for it in less than 5 years. Or, at the least get good, cheap treatment. I think we all know how things went from there.

I first tested positive way back when I was in my mid-20's. I'll be 50 the year after next. If a cure is found I have no doubt that I will be eligible for it. HIV hasn't been good to me, but it's not as if it's taken knives and chopped me up, either. Personally, I'd love to be able to quit going to my HIV doctor. To quit taking my HIV meds. However, until a cure is found I will continue on as regular.

And, do continue to read this website! It's the best website for information regarding HIV. You'll find yourself more empowered when you learn more about this disease.

YellowFever

Reged: 09/27/12
Loc: Asia
      #268369 - 10/20/12 07:26 AM

Thanks iam1!! I guess I still need to swallow the fact that I might be HIV+ "for life"... So far I'm always thinking of a possible end: "I'll be taking medicine until they find a functional cure", "I'll be HIV+ until they find a sterilising cure" or "I'm banned from entering **country** until they lift the ban"...

--------------------
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415/15%, VL ?
04/2013 Next Reading

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2828

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3