Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Confused33

Reged: 08/10/12
Loc: California
Can't get it out of my head
      #265461 - 08/12/12 10:25 AM

I cant stop thinking about having HIV. From the time i wake up to the time i go to bed. I have a boyfriend we have been together for over 3 years now. He is very supportive and so is our family's. I dont have my first dr appointment until the first week of sept. I'm scared and worried what my levels are. What can i do to stop thinking about this. Please help me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Can't get it out of my head new
      #265462 - 08/12/12 12:31 PM

We put a lot of emphasis on numbers, because it's puts a face on the HIV that we have. It's proof that we are doing something.

The need to know them comes from panic and fear. Knowing them isn't going to change any of the facts.

That said I completely understand the need to know; the feeling of needing to do something now, but you have to roll with the punches when it comes to dr appts. You could call and ask them to move the appt up because you are experiencing severe anxiety over it. Or you can find another dr to take you sooner. Either way you will still have to wait roughly two weeks after they draw blood to find out anything.

You're best bet now is to use the support you have and talk it out and find activities you enjoy to keep your mind off of it. No amount of worry has ever changed any outcome so why waste the time.

Also whatever your numbers are now chances are waiting a month is not going to make a bit of difference.

survivor2053

Reged: 08/13/12
      #265481 - 08/13/12 09:21 PM

I was diagnosed 7/24/12 and went through the same panic attacks. My doctor gave me Xanax and it stopped them in their tracks and calmed me down to functional. You should ask for something. I had never had any sort of psychoactive drugs before. I didn't feel drunk or woozy they just calmed me down.

I also felt better when I told my two best friends. Good advice from my partner. Really helps to tell someone and I really appreciated the support.

I just got my first numbers back today, mostly good news. I hated not knowing and I didn't help myself by reading more about what can go wrong on the internet. Hang in there.

g79

Reged: 07/10/12
      #265491 - 08/14/12 06:25 PM

I hope you find some relief. If you are taking antivirals you want to be careful as there are interactions with benzos. Talk to your Doctor or a Pharmacist.
Good luck.

g79

Reged: 07/10/12
      #265492 - 08/14/12 06:36 PM

If you are feeling ok then you will be fine. If you have any symptoms like a cough, night sweats, or fever etc. then call your Doctor or go to the hospital. The biggest concern is getting an opportunistic infection like PCP (Pneumonia).
Your appointment is in a few weeks so chances are your Doctor will want to treat you at which point everything will be ok. Just have faith and try to remain positive. You have to believe you will be well. Like I said, dont worry unless you are having symptoms at which point you will want to be checked out. It helps talking about things. So reach out and get some support. I find light exercising to be a great relief of anxiety and stress. Walking is good too. I hope you find some comfort.
peace

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2540

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3