Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
LovingLife

Reged: 07/09/12
I just tested positive. I am confused
      #264474 - 07/09/12 10:19 PM

Hi there,
I tested hiv + a few days ago. I have been hopeless and praying that there has been some kind of mistake since Thursday July 5th. I am an International student in the states. My getting tested just came up in a conversation I was having with a guy I just met and I told him It had been a while I went for a hiv test (close to 12months). He felt it was a good idea I got checked and promised to accompany me. We went in the next day and the preliminary results came out positive. They sent it back for more tests and I am supposed to get the final results on Friday July 13th.

I went into shock and told my friend immediately because we had just hand unprotected sex the night before. Luckily, he has been very supportive and I went with him for him to get tested too but he won’t his result for two weeks because he decided to do a full blood work test. I sent in a note to my office telling them I just found out I was very ill and needed sometime. We skipped town that night so I could clear my head. I just got back this evening and I'm expected to return to work tomorrow. I have no idea what to tell my bosses at work yet.

I am an African national and I am very aware of the stigma around hiv or worse for being a gay. Even though I know I have to wait for the full report on Friday, I do not know what to do, how to handle telling people or my excuse for not being at work for a couple of days. Its just so confusing to me. I sit and play different scenarios in my head of what lies ahead.

Can someone, anyone please give me some advice.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
Re: I just tested positive. I am confused new
      #264478 - 07/10/12 12:49 AM

Hello, I know it's rough time right now but things will get better. Just take it one day at a time. As far as telling anyone, my advice would be to not tell anyone, especially at work. There is still a very big stigma out there and you don't want to be in a position where you can lose your job which in turn you would lose your health insurance which is something you need right now. Losing your job would only add to the amount of stress you have which is something you don't need. If you feel like you need support, find a good support group in your area. If you don't like the whole group thing, start by trying to see a therapist. I wouldn't even recommend telling family or friends unless you are absolutely sure they will support you. You'd be surprised at how many stories I have read and my own story where family members were told in hope of giving unconditonal love and support only to be turned away or not getting the support one had hoped. Just know once you tell someone you have it, you can never take it back. There is no cure so they will know that you have it and most likely will always have it. Take care of yourself

thebird1959
Regular

Reged: 06/22/12
Loc: Alabama
      #264479 - 07/10/12 06:31 AM

I am glad you found this site, but sorry you have to be here. I'm in a very similiar situation if you read my post. Only difference is that everything happened to me a couple of weeks earlier. I think PeaceandLove gave you some very good advice. Whatever you do don't tell anybody at work yet. Unless your HIV status affects your current ability to perform your job, you are under no legal obligation to disclose your status to your employer.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #264482 - 07/10/12 09:06 AM

There are those moments when we feel compelled to reveal our situation but before doing so ask yourself Why do I need to , What will it gain, and can you trust that person to keep it private, Is that person being put at risk , and will I be having relations or sharing needles with them. Many times we reveal just becasue we want to be able to share. But like having a cold or the flu , some things are just best kept to oneself. It's not being sneaky or being ashamed , it's just a private matter.

Sailingalone19
Fanatic

Reged: 06/25/12
      #264526 - 07/11/12 08:58 AM

Im getting my result on friday too im so scared!

But good thin for is u hve a friend and support. God bless!

AliveNwell

Reged: 07/12/12
      #264562 - 07/12/12 09:43 PM

I was diagnosed in 2009 after donating blood at my job. The blood center handled it extrememly professional and had me come in for a consultation. They referred me to an HIV organization for some much needed guidance. There are so many services and agencies out there to help. Contact your local blood center or even NOT your local blood center and they can give you great advice on who to go to for information.

LovingLife

Reged: 07/09/12
      #264621 - 07/15/12 01:17 AM

Thanks a lot. I ended up not telling people at work. I really felt it had nothing to do with anyone or my performance on the job. I am taking thing one day at a time. Thanks again

lovemyjeep

Reged: 07/16/12
Loc: SC
      #264655 - 07/17/12 12:32 AM

I was just diagnosed when I was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. The only people that you are required to tell is the ones that you have had sexual/iv needle use with. I have not told my job and everything is fine.

aidslifequote

Reged: 07/19/12
      #264712 - 07/19/12 03:07 PM

Sorry to hear that, but you seem to be able and empowered to make the best decisions for yourself at this stage. It is crucial to get as clued up as possible, have people who support you around and to consider what your family should do next. Good luck and remember you are not alone in any way. aidslifequote. co. za

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4675

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3