Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rookie

Reged: 11/16/11
some good news in the dark..
      #259397 - 12/09/11 04:37 PM

Well, I wanted to share a little hope. I just came back from the doc. My genotype test result came back. I don't know much about this but he said something like no mutations and that my virus strain show is susceptible to every single med, so I could start on any regimen. I asked him if that meant something good, he replied : it is something very good. He has put me on Atripla (one a day thing) and gave me indications on how to take it and possible side effects. I guess inside all the mess I am going to do just fine and stick around for a while longer. Peace :]

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
reaching18

Reged: 12/06/11
Re: some good news in the dark.. new
      #259400 - 12/10/11 08:35 AM

how are things going. I'm new to the web site, waiting for my own results. Have you started your meds and how is that working out. I'm kind of putting the cart in front of the horse but just wandering how the process starts up and how your body dealing with it as well as your mind. good luck sending positive thoughts

rookie

#259401 - 12/10/11 11:55 AM

Hey,

Haha.. Well, I am not the best one to give any advice cause I am new to the forums too. I found out just over a month ago. However, seems I was infected several years ago and it was time to start treatment. I started the med last night, as instructed. I did not go to sleep right away and side effect is just a bit of dizziness (nothing big really). I watched tv and relax and fall asleep. I will know in a month when I have a follow up lab test and hopefully see my VL start dropping. I do have several HIV+ friends they have been living with it for many many years, they keep on telling me that nothing has changed and everything is going to be fine. Doctor says so too. I am just keeping a good attitude and avoiding stress on this. If you ask me how I feel I would say I feel thankful, not because I was diagnosed with HIV but because I found out before the disease progressed more and also found the care I needed. Life is a journey. I'll keep on posting if anything change. :]

Edited by rookie (12/11/11 12:05 AM)

reaching18

#259402 - 12/10/11 01:55 PM

thank you for the quick reply. Waiting for results can cause havoc in ones life. I'm kind of just sitting around waiting for tuesday (result day) or waiting for some illness to sneak on me and then i get a confirmation that way. I know I sound crazy!! Good luck with your treatment program.

NorthLander

#259411 - 12/10/11 11:40 PM

Hi Rookie,

Thanks for your poz notes here...I was diagnosed 3 days after my Bday...isn't it sad!!

Till now i still can't get over it...but i also know life have to carry on but just cant the HIV word out m mind...I think i become paranoid, that when i fall sick or not feeling well, i relate to my immune system is down and VL is acting up...

My further test result will be out only on 29Dec...
Hope to hear from +ve news from me to keep me going...

Y

--------------------
Cheers,
KC

rookie

#259438 - 12/13/11 02:23 AM

lol.. the infamous Atripla dreams! Just woke up from one.. actually funny!I had no clue I had so much non sense in my head. I was concern about this but nothing big either. I was once prescribed medication to stop smoking and that really gave me nasty almost scream super vivid dreams. These are not vivid, (To put it in perspective for those who might be concern like I was these past 3 days) I'd dare to say these are the type of dreams/thoughs you get from something like 420. Good night!

Edited by rookie (12/13/11 07:52 AM)

hellfire

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: fl
      #259516 - 12/17/11 06:15 PM

aaaahhh yes, the dreams. mine were always in neon! ive been taking Atripla for a little over 5yrs. as the meds build up in your system, the side effects may get a little worse (for me they did) by the 2nd week i was so miserable i was ready to throw in the towel. but just as it seemed i couldnt take another night of dreams & sweats, they subsided. i occasionally get that dizzy feeling, kinda like a cloudy foggy feeling if i take it too early & stay up late - but its nothing awful. i can say now, i sleep better than i ever have. my numbers are awesome. 973 undetectable 54%.... when i started meds i was 236 86,000 25%... so my 2weeks of hell cretainly have paid off. the downside, weight gain... 70lbs. it was gradual, but its been a battle to try & lose the weight around my midsection.

rookie

#259528 - 12/18/11 09:54 PM

Haha I am not so happy about that (fat), I have read about it. I am 38 and I have been in great physical shape for my height for the last 12 years (gym rat here).. I'll do my best to fight it but it seems the changes in the way you store fat is just a side effect of the meds... but hey, I can't complain: it's good to be alive, I hope my numbers get like yours someday and I am just thankful to be given a second chance. So I'll make the best out of it.

Edited by rookie (12/19/11 02:07 AM)

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #259674 - 12/29/11 12:48 PM

I must say I throughly enjoyed my dreams. Sadly after all these years on meds my dreams are no big deal anymore . Kinda miss waking up being amazed and anxious to share my dream with huby . I dreamt in color too. And you want to hear something amazing a new friend that I met was blind but she can see her dreams like shes got her vision back . Is that wild or what !

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #259789 - 01/03/12 02:36 AM

Congratulations on having a "clean" virus!

I/we went through the same genotyping and were blessed with very good results. My GF and I are both on the Atripla cocktail (Truvada + Stocrin) and are doing VERY well. My GF was out of AIDS in less than 5 months and my CD4's are normal, in the 900's. Both of our viral loads are undetectable. The Atripla cocktail is VERY effective at controlling this virus - the data keeps coming out that it is one of the best regimens currently available.

We had some side affects for a few weeks, but they quickly subsided. By 4-5 months we had no side affects and have stayed that way. I was very concerned for my GF because she is very petite, but she actually did better than I did in getting through the initial annoyances.

I have found that my diet and exercise patterns do affect how I feel in general. If I finish eating by 7pm, eat lots of veggies with some quality meat, and keep the fat to a minimum, I/we feel great. Also, avoid alcohol. If I drink at all, the next day I just feel strange/crappy. If I get a bit of light exercise in the evenings, such as swimming or cardio, that helps as well. I also found that drinking lots of water, especially the first few weeks, keeps me feeling pretty bright. I soon learned that caffeine does not seem to mix well with these meds. I gave up coffee because it would make me feel VERY anxious, even after 6+ months on the meds.

I wish you the best, and am here if you want to chat or have any questions about what I have experienced. I know some people cannot tolerate the efavirenz component - I hope you are not one of those people, because it is a very effective drug at stopping the virus' ability to replicate. Be patient and give yourself time to adjust. Work closely with your doc!

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#259883 - 01/05/12 12:27 PM

Hey!

I know how you feel about the paranoia. I have three children, so they are always coming home with colds and bugs, and I usually get them passed on to me.... Always have, but now that I am positive, I had been feeling nervous every time I got one of their sniffles. I say "had" because I don't worry now.

After going through a couple bouts of colds and fevers over the last year, I have realized that this is just normal - this is no different than it was for all the years before I was positive.

My VL is nil and my CD4's are over 900. My colds and fevers are nothing to do with my HIV, it's just being human.

As long as your meds are managing your virus well, relax. Keep on top of your labs and health, and you should be ok. Eat well and take care. Please talk to me when ever you want. We are all in the boat together!

rookie

Re: some good news in the dark.. *DELETED* new
      #259907 - 01/06/12 01:33 AM

Post deleted by rookie

Stillnumb

Reged: 12/15/11
      #259908 - 01/06/12 07:03 AM

Hey bud - good luck in 3 days. Please keep posting. I follow your progress. We found out roughly the same time. I'm in the acute phase - not going on meds now as i've joined a research study so they can see the effects of the virus on the body just after infection - means LOTS of tests and doctors visits!!! Not sure its the right move but love reading your posts cause you have such a great spirit that comes through them.

My numbers : nov tcell 309, vl 136k. Dec tcell 389, vl 36k.

Still feels like a dream thisis going on

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#259947 - 01/07/12 07:22 AM

You're doing great! Congratulations!

Keep up the exercise and the healthy diet. I was able to get myself off cigarettes finally, and am now also alcohol free. I'm going to be healthier than I was before this damn bug bit me! Keep up the good work! According to the docs, a drink now and then isn't a problem, but it does seem to make people feel a little off the next day. I have discovered that I can't deal with caffeine very well anymore, so I avoid coffee as well now.

Alarms are excellent to help you adhere to your meds. I have one on my computer, my mobile phone, my night stand and in the car. I also keep a small bottle with a couple doses tucked in my bag in case there were ever an emergency and I couldn't get home on time to take my meds. I may be paranoid, but I'd rather do that than miss a dose and run the risk of getting complications.

I'm sure your labs sill come back with good news. Did yo get your virus genotyped before starting meds? If not, and the labs come back with good numbers, don't worry about it. If the labs are still messy, then genotyping is essential.

Good vibes right back at you! I will be waiting to hear how things go! Cheers!

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#259948 - 01/07/12 07:25 AM

Getting involved with studies is a good way to help get great care. I have made a few friends who are on studies, and they get their labs done for free, free genotyping, and no-cost or low-cost meds. That's great that you got involved in that!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3883

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3