Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Elf

Reged: 10/22/11
Loc: Montana
safe to wait
      #258764 - 10/30/11 10:48 AM

my previous post laid out a history of how i became infected. For about 2 weeks i have searched for side affects or affects of HIV. I finally got into my first appointment as did my wife on Friday. there not going to start treatment until the end of November for me and first week of December for my wife. With me the doctor hast to wait for my blood test to come back and then evaluate which HIV drug is best suited for me. My concern is im already feeling run down, tired. week tired and sore. My platelets are already so low that i had to have a transfusion which is how we found out i was positive.
I guess my question is "Is it safe to wait a month for me to start treatment with my numbers so low" We do not now my t-cell yet we just now I'm considerably lower then my wife as i am the one showing all the signs and she was not

--------------------
ELF

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: safe to wait new
      #258765 - 10/30/11 12:09 PM

Realize that waiting till your results come back is the best way to ensure the best resuts for treatment. It sucks cause you probably want to feel like things are under control and want life to get back to normal. But realize things are under control because you have a game plan and that plan is the best one for long term control. Think of it as like rearranging your house things get messy before everything gets put into place and then it looks great.

new2this2010
Expert

Reged: 06/22/10
      #258778 - 11/01/11 11:48 AM

Im confused. Why aren't you asking your doctor these types of questions? Thats crazy that you would not ask your doctor but wait til you get home and ask a discussion board. Something is seriously wrong with how you are handling your situation. ASK YOUR DOCTORS!

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #258781 - 11/01/11 12:37 PM

@ new2this2010

I'm confused as well, but not for the same reasons you listed. I'm confused as to how you think being insulting and demeaning is helpful in just about every post you make. We get it your angry, deal with it. Taking out your anger on other people is only going to make you feel worse. Did you stop to think that this person is new to all this? That anxiety and fear make it difficult for people to focus on what the doctor is saying? That maybe just maybe this was discussed with the doctor, but this person wanted some reassurance that what was discussed was the normal flow to this, because they are new and don't know how it all works?

I mean really, he said his doctor did discuss it with him and laid out a plan. And with the rush of doctors now a days and the lack of bedside manner it's no wonder why people feel uncomfortable with talking to doctors when they first meet.

Also the wonderful post made by you to the guy who is worried about jail.....I hope that one day someone can treat you with the same kindness you showed there. If you have such a hang up about this site and the advice and compassion needed to be a contributing member then find somewhere else to rant. I hear Craigslist is a great place for people to rant on like idiots without doing any good.

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #258790 - 11/02/11 04:30 PM

kicker, I have been positive for almost 6 years, I have found the best thing to do is keep a small note book. When I have a question for my doctor, I write it down in the notebook. It helps you focus on what your need is. I wish I had the knowledge and experience to answer your questions, but I had to learn like you will to trust in my doctor. Communication is totally key, also i found that liking my doctor is also very progressive. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I will tell you that sitting back and waiting is not the easiest thing to do. Especially, when you are newly diagnoised and reading lots of contradicting information. The only advice I can really offer is to sit back relax, accept the things that you can not change, but move forward with your life. We have come a long way, and are closer than ever before to a cure. Good luck, D

Elf

Reged: 10/22/11
Loc: Montana
      #258806 - 11/05/11 07:44 PM

i asked a discussion board after i went to the doctor thought since some of you may have been dealing with this you might be able to guide me a little ISNT THAT WHAT DISCUSSION BOARDS ARE FOR IS THAT WHAT NEWLY DIAGNOSED IS FOR TO ASK QUESTIONS i didn't know why they want to wait and since i am back in my simi truck and away from home i thought this might be a good place to ask questions sorry maybe its just better if i dont ask for advice here and find some place to get advice and ask questions

--------------------
ELF

hellfire

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: fl
      #258824 - 11/08/11 12:42 AM

Elf... ask away. you're exactly right, thats what discussion boards are here for. But there's always someone in every crowd that feels its necessary to point fingers & be hateful for no particular reason. Unless your doctor is poz, he couldnt possibly understand like we do here. I have asked my doctor more questions than i have asked everyone i have ever known in the past 6 years.. but bottom line, he doesnt know how it feels, he doesnt understand what im thinking, he cant understand all the emotions that swirl around at any given moment. What you do need to do though is make sure you like & trust your doctor. I come here to get another point of view, maybe something else I may want to ask him. In time all of this will be less confusing & it'll start to make sense. When i was first diagnosed I had to wait a month also. My CD4 was very low, VL very high & percentage was low also... but your numbers shouldnt drop so drastically in the time between your next visit... just be sure to take care, eat right, sleep enough & try not to stress too much. beating yourself up about the coulda woulda shouldas wont change the what is. Don't let anything negative on here affect you, just let it roll off you. You're gonna run in to lots of bumps along the road, just know that we're here for you. We'll answer your questions based on our experiences. Certainly make sure you follow your doctors advice, but if you dont feel comfortable with your doctor, find one that you do... and never feel afraid or embarassed to ask something - i'm sure they've heard it all before, no matte how silly you may think it is, it's your health & well being that matters.

LLsexyLL

Reged: 07/11/11
Loc: south Africa Durban
      #259142 - 11/22/11 03:56 PM

Thank u Kicker . U know, my mouth was still hanging open at the lack of compasion being displayed there...my mind was still confused with desbelief!
... And yes...we do not need your comment, advice or any sort of blabbering from anyone who is not here to support and be empathize.

--------------------
Life is gr8...

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #259885 - 01/05/12 12:57 PM

Hi Elf,

You MUST get your T-cell count and VL ASAP. Then, you will know what your situation really is. If your T-cell count is low, under 300 or 250, they will probably put you on preventative medications to protect you from opportunistic infections. They would put you on Bactrim, a strong antibiotic, and a once-a-week anti-fungal. You would also immediately begin ARV/HAART (try to get your virus genotyped and sensitivity tested!).

You would stay on the preventatives until your T-cells are over 250 or 300. This may take a few months. Once you are out of the "woods" you would be pulled off the preventatives and closely monitored for about a year until you stabilize, hopefully with a nice and high T-cell count and an undetectable viral load.

The T-cell (CD4) count, percentage, and VL data are essential in knowing your health situation with respect to this virus. This is important and must be check every few months while you are stabilizing. After that, you may be able to switch to check every 6 months, but this is something you and your doctor/case worker must decide.

This is a process, but it usually does work if monitored and done well. Getting your virus genotyped will help ensure you are on the right meds and that you get the maximum benefit from the technology we have available to help.

I hope this helps you. Please talk to me any time you want.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2451

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3