Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
PageofCups

Reged: 06/24/11
Being hunted down. Is this normal protocol?
      #256544 - 07/12/11 12:11 AM

Hi. Oh kay maybe hunting is too strong a word but still. I got a letter dropped off at my place by someone from the Health and Prevention services. The letter was dropped off to my boyfriend (I wasn't home) and he said the messenger, who was someone that works for the place, was very rude. Anyway, apparently this guy wants to meet with me in peson to discuss wether there is anyone I need to anonymously (sp?) erm, alert. I became positive in my monogamous relationship with my partner who is positive. Its pretty clear where and how I got it. I'm no Blanche Devearoux, the number of sexual partners I've had is embarassingly small. Well *anyways* I tried telling this guy over the phone like, "Look we can meet if absolutely necessary but I'm trying to tell you there's no one that NEEDS to know." You know? But this guy is one persistant little bastard lol. For real! I don't know if I'm just being overly paranoid but it makes me feel like I have to "register" or something...is this just a normal thing that happens when your positive? I've tried calling the clinic that I went to to find out if this is normal cause I don't remember them telling me someone will be sent to my home....am I just being paranoid?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Being hunted down. Is this normal protocol? new
      #256554 - 07/12/11 04:55 PM

It may feel like they are, but it's fairly standard practice. They will ask you a bunch of questions, like who have you slept with in the last yr, what sexual activities you engage in, etc. The information collected plays an important role for a couple of things. It helps the CDC track infection and it helps form a census so that money can be funneled to the right areas for the right things. Get it done and over with it's not a big deal, but they will hound for a while to get it. The interview will probably take 30 minutes.

Also I am sorry to hear about your infection. I am the positive partner in a +/- relationship and I know that is one of my biggest concerns.

gurlzone

Reged: 09/19/08
Re: Being hunted down. Is this normal protocol? new
      #256576 - 07/14/11 04:46 PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with your health department's overzealousness in this situation. Clearly they were not willing to accept the clear information you provided them, which indicates to any reasonable person that there is no need for additional investigation or partner notification by the health department. Usually the sort of data you describe is collected by the test provider when you receive your confirmatory positive result. But each state has different protocols and guidelines regarding partner notification. From your description, it sounds like GA is behind the times, especially if they were dumb or arrogant enough to be rude and insistent.That's counterproductive and alienating for someone who might otherwise cooperate fully. Anyhow, DOH folks have their own internal pressures and goals that have nothing to do with the individual client. They are thinking in terms of statistics, epidemiology and gettting future funding based on how many HIV+ people they report and/or collect data on. Don't take it personally, sometimes they overrate their own importance and competence in the interest of public health. I don't know of any state that makes it legal to coerce people to provide this kind of information to them. What are they going to do, throw you in prison if you don't cooperate? NY has safeguards against the kind of coercive approach you describe, but GA is not known for being the most progressive state in the nation. Dealing with the diagnosis right now is all you should have to handle.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3051

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3