Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
asianboy

Reged: 02/11/11
Loc: Manila, Philippines
RE: Full blown AIDS
      #254356 - 02/12/11 12:24 AM

I'm a 31-year old professional in the Philippines recently diagnosed with AIDS... it has taken a toll on my family and my career, as I have to take a leave from work while I try to improve my CD4 count. Been staying at home with my parents (and financially dependent on them since my work wont pay me while Im on leave), and I can feel how much stressed my mom is over my disease. 'Though she's been very supportive of me since I found out of my disease last December, but there would be times when we would have family quarrels brought upon by financial constraints and repressed issues she has against me (or is it my homosexuality?).

I'm stressed out and I'm getting depressed. SOS.

I know most people here are just positive, and it will probably make me feel better (I guess) to hear from someone on the same stage as I am (ie AIDS)... I am becoming hopeless here.

Edited by asianboy (02/12/11 12:30 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: RE: Full blown AIDS new
      #254364 - 02/12/11 12:24 PM

Can you please tell us about your history?
You said you were diagnosed last December - is that December 2010?
Were you diagnosed with HIV or actual AIDS? Both?
What are your numbers, please? VL=? CD4=?
Were you on treatment before the AIDS diagnosis? Did your Doc switch treatments?
Have you had your virus genotyped and tested for resistances? Please give details if so.

Any info you can give us can help us help you see options and possibilities that you can take with you and to your doctor.

I was just diagnosed on Jan.22. My VL= 61,000; CD4=403
I had my virus genotyped and had great results: HIV-1, no mutations, 100% susceptible to ALL drugs in ALL categories. I will meet with my doc on Wed. and choose my treatment regimen. I should be starting by the end of the coming week.

I do care about everyone here, and will do anything I can to help you see any options you are not aware of. PM or respond here and I will get back to you within 12 hours.

Don't lose hope! You are alive and will probably stay that way for a LONG TIME, especially if you use all your smarts and resources!

Hugs! :-)

asianboy

#254372 - 02/13/11 04:26 AM

Thank you guys for the positive response. It gives me some hope that all will be well in the end, I guess...

Pos_in_Thailand:
I actually hasnt been tested for HIV since I became sexually active in my early 20s... I must admit I trusted too much and made stupid decisions. Never occurred to me I would be infected by one of my partners back then.
I was hospitalized in Dec 2010, mainly because I had difficulty breathing. It was pneumonia. I was there for about a week already but wasnt responding to the antibiotics. So my doctor suggested I be tested for HIV. And lo and behold --- I already had full-blown AIDS. My CD4 is down to 11. My doctor hasnt done any viral load count yet --- will be doing it by the end of this month. But he started me on my antiretrovirals (AZT+3CT and Efaverenz) a month ago. No genotyping was done yet.

Im feeling so lost and confused --- and so does my family. I know I still wanna live, but I dont know where to begin now.

Thanks in advance, PiT. I really appreciate your desire to help.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #254374 - 02/13/11 09:59 AM

Hi!

I am so glad to hear from you and that you did not just go off to die! Put that out of your mind, you will get much better soon!

I can understand with a CD4 count that low, why your doc did not wait around for genotyping and put you on the meds immediately. However, I would recommend that you do go ahead and do the genotyping NOW to make sure that the meds you are on are effective against your virus. It takes about 2 weeks for the results to come back. If there is a resistance to any of the meds you are on, getting it worked out sooner, rather than later, increases your chance of a full recovery (HIV+, non-AIDS)

I would get a viral load immediately so that you can start charting your improvement. As the meds kick in and kick but, your VL should go down to undetectable and your CD4's should increase steadily, hopefully to around 500 after a year of therapy. You will have to be careful in the meantime. Talk to your doc about taking preventative anti-fungals and antibiotics while your CD4's are recovering. The doc should be giving you something to help protect you while you are regaining your strength.

As our friend AIDS2HIV shares, there are people who have been worse off than you, in the "death coma" when they were finally diagnosed and have come back to healthy, full lives using these amazing meds we now have! You can do it too - the odds are WITH you! I now have a good friend who has been living with this for 27 years, and for three of those years he had a CD4 count of 5! He laughs now and says he had a name for each of them! You WILL recover if you decide to and get on top of your health!

If you do these things, I think you have a good chance of recovery and living a full and happy life. You must be safe and eat well, stick to your medication schedule strictly and keep a positive outlook. You can do this!

Please keep in touch and get the VL soon as well as the genotyping/resistance testing. It will put you in the best position possible to celebrate your strength and new life in the near future.

Here, in Thailand, the Red Cross has several excellent HIV clinics that are free for Thais and very low cost to foreigners. They have the best and latest meds and access to good lab equipment to get all your labs done and track your progress. I recommend finding out where your closest Red Cross is and getting connected with them. Even if you stick to getting your meds and checkups from your current doc, they usually have counselors there, free of charge that can help you do anything from discuss doubts or medical concerns to helping you find a job if you need one. It can't hurt to check in with them and see how they can help you!

Please keep me posted on what happens. You are not alone! We can help each other through this!

asianboy

#256655 - 07/22/11 05:03 AM

just an update... my cd4's up to 88 now. I hope it will steadily increase from now on.
thanks to everyone's support --- especially to you, PIT.

CountTheStars

Reged: 07/22/11
Loc: Cincinnati, OH
      #256657 - 07/22/11 06:09 AM

My heart goes out to you asianboy. I just joined the board today and I'm sorry the circumstances that lead to your diagnosis. It makes me very happy to hear that you are doing better. You are an inspiration! Thank you for keeping up a good fight!!!

~DS

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5240

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3