Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
worriedsick

Reged: 05/21/10
Anxiety (attack)
      #250398 - 05/21/10 07:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I just recently took a 15 day waiting test for HIV--the miami health department made it a nightmare to take the get your results in an hour test. I am unsure of my status but the anxiety is killing me--to top it off i am taking the LSAT in two weeks--and the possibility of having HIV is destroying my studying. As i really dont know if I am HIV positive right now and have no one to discuss this with, I was wondering if any of you could provide any wisdom with dealing with this debilitating anxiety (its why i took the test, just bummed i have to wait so long. I have never had unprotected anal sex, just worried the condom broke once and I didn't know it.

Its just eating me up, i just try to tell myself i am positive and by reading all of this support on this site and the wide variety of treatment options I am a bit calmer but still distracted from my life.

i recognize that moving on from a diagnosis and charging ahead is a challenge and very important. I feel like I am trying to do that now. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with the anxiety?

Best of luck to you all. Reading your support for each other is inspirational. Regardless of my results I look forward to supporting others in need in this community!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Anxiety (attack) new
      #250399 - 05/21/10 07:52 PM

I believe that those that have actually tested postive have more important things to do than hold the hand of a guy that held an intact condom, yet wonders if it had a tiniesy, weenie, tiny hole in it, which he thinks is what a condom failure is and has thus stress himself into believing HIV is actually an issue in his life.

Get back to where you belong. "The Am I Infected".

darryl

Reged: 02/16/10
      #250439 - 05/24/10 03:42 AM

Hey worriedsick,

I can understand your anxiety, but is it based on any concrete facts? I remember reading an old saying, and its still very true for today, its says.......'worry is like a rocking chair, you put a lot of effort into it and you get nowhere'. You need to chill out and focus on other important things in your life for the moment, and remember if you are positive, HIV is a treatable condition. Let me know how you get on.

Darryl

JoshColo

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Denver, CO
      #250611 - 06/04/10 09:07 AM

Hello. After some strange health issues, my doctor recommended an HIV test. I was in the opposite boat as you, quite convinced I couldn't have HIV, as I too had never had unprotected sex. So the shock of getting a positive test was almost too much to bear. Read the posts in here and you will understand. These anxiety attacks can be debilitating. I have been suffering for a few weeks now, but am seeing a counselor and talking about it seems to help. My advice is to focus on other aspects of your life. Regardless of your test result, you have a lot going for you in your life. Take the LSAT, score well and go on to your graduate studies. Once you know for sure (either way) you'll at least know you took the first step. Good luck and let us know how its going.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2900

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3