Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
aNewBeginning

Reged: 02/05/10
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Older HIV'ers
      #249417 - 02/13/10 06:06 PM

I learned I am HIV positive on 2/03/10. I met with my infectious disease doctor two days.
I would like to hear from older guys who are dealing with HIV.
Have a great day.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bnagayguy
Regular

Reged: 01/29/09
Re: Older HIV'ers new
      #249418 - 02/13/10 07:22 PM

Here's a message that I posted on another newly diagnosed individual's post. I don't normally "reuse" but my message is clear in this posting: JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE HIV POSITIVE DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE GOING TO DIE ANYTIME SOON!!

Next, do whatever you choose to do - work, get more and/or different education, travel, socialize, be with family and friends - whatever you choose to do. What is necessary is that you recognize that some of what you choose to do may require you do it a bit differently than if you weren't poz, especially when it comes to sex. After all, would you want anyone else to have to deal with what you face on a daily basis?

Then, make sure you get educated about HIV, and how it operates within your body. (This is where a good treatment provider comes in handy.) Knowing how HIV operates, and knowing how your body functions is key to successfully living with HIV. Check out the book "Built to Survive" by Michael Mooney and Nelson Vergel; Nelson is one of the experts here on TheBody.com. Their book is chock full of useful information for anyone who is poz.

It's important to learn and understand nutrition - the role it plays in keeping you healthy, vital and active. Keep in mind that about 70% of our immunity resides in the intestinal tract, where much of our digestion occurs.

Be sure to have some sort of physical activity on a regular basis; incorporate both cardiovascular and weight training. Weight training will help build lean muscle mass, which is key to maintaining good health, particularly for anyone who is poz. BTW - I found yoga to be an awesome work out, physically, mentally and spiritually.

And, be sure to do something to develop or maintain your spirituality - not religion - spirituality. HIV is something that affects us not only physically; it also has a great impact on us mentally and spirituality. Think about the triad of body, mind and spirit. If any one of those elements is not in tact, the whole triad will tumble, in the end. Check out the book "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hay. She's worked with thousands affected by HIV and AIDS.

If you need to, get some counseling. There are lots of therapists out there who can, and do, know how to help people live with HIV. Be sure you know how, or learn, to say "no." Check out TheBody.com's directory if you need some help locating other services besides medical treatment. Here's the link: http://www.asofinder.com; or another directory is: http://directory.poz.com

Above all, do no harm to yourself. This includes no smoking -- if you can't breathe, you won't live....it's that simple!! Limit your alcohol, and eliminate any illicit drug consumption. The less the body has to process and expel, the easier it is for the body to maintain itself. Having 1 or 2 drinks isn't bad; having too many makes the body go into overdrive - it has to work harder so that you continue to live. As for illicit drugs, they will damage your body (not to mention your mental and spiritual sides) quicker than HIV.

Whatever you do, know that you can live a full and vital life (and yes that includes dating and a relationship). Because you have HIV does not mean this is the end of the road. It means you are now on another path that deserves, and requires, your full attention.

You can still do and be anything you choose to do, or be!! The good news is there are a wide variety of resources available to help you determine what is right for you. (When I first tested poz in 1988, we were basically prepared to die within 2-5 years.) Use any and all resources that are available to you. Don't let HIV make you a victim; turn this pain into power for you, and others!!

HIV is another part of you now, for whatever reason. How you came to be poz isn't the issue now. Now, the task is to learn how to live a great life despite being HIV+.

Feel free to hit me back via email if you like: bnagayguy@yahoo.com.

I wish you all the best.....

Namaste

aNewBeginning

Reged: 02/05/10
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Older HIV'ers new
      #249419 - 02/13/10 07:53 PM

Thank you very much. You packed a lot of good information into your reply. I especially appreciate the reassurance and encouragement. I'm going to print it so I can re-read when I feel down. Thanks again.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2447

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3