Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ilovemy2

Reged: 12/28/07
Just Tested Positive and Scared
      #234825 - 01/01/08 10:47 AM

Hello everyone. I recently tested positive on December 26th. I contracted from my boyfriend. When I first heard I thought that I was in a really bad dream and that I would soon wake up. I don't know how long I have had it. I tested negative last year in September 2006. I am really scared. I do not know what to expect. I will not go for my first round of blood work until next week. What do I need to expect and how long will it take for the results of the blood work to come back. My boyfriend will be with me all the way, He tested positve also. Any advise will be helpful. Thanks. ~1~

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drnsee
Regular

Reged: 11/16/07
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Just Tested Positive and Scared new
      #234826 - 01/01/08 11:34 AM

Yeah, I can completely empathize--when I was first told, I had the same feeling, like I was in a bad dream. That was over 3 years ago and the dream is still going, but I'm aware of it and have lots more control, moreover it isn't such a bad one anymore. :)

I believe my lab work gets processed in about a week, although my doctor usually tells me to do it a month prior to the visit. They usually look for cd4 and viral load counts. In general, the higher the cd4 and the lower the viral count, the better.

The doctor may order a resistance test to see if your HIV strain has adapted to any medications currently used to fight it off. My doctor often orders tests for a complete blood count and metabolic panel--this just helps determine your general health and body functions.

One other round of tests my doctor did on me was to determine if I already had antibodies to certain other diseases, such as Hepatitis.

It all sounds like a lot, but it's one prick with several vials drawn and you're done. It may be challenging to concentrate at the moment, but it is best to try and go through things as you would normally. I know eating healthier and regular exercise has a significant impact on your overall health.

One thing that helped me a lot mentally was joining a support group. I have met many long term survivors that have dealt with HIV for over 20 years! Anyway, stay optimistic and get informed. If you need more support, just drop me a message anytime! Be well~

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #234838 - 01/02/08 05:47 AM

Hey,

Like drnsee wrote, your goal will be to get your t-cell (cd4)count higher and your viral load lower (to undetectable).

You may not need to go on medication yet in which case the best thing for you to do is take care of your health (eat well and exercise). If you do need to go on medication, don't be upset. It's really not so bad.

It seems like you are doing the right things already, especially seeking support here. Don't feel obligated to rush into telling people about your status. It's great that you have your bf and that the two of you can deal with this together.

I was diagnosed last August. It was an emotional rollercoaster, but 5 months later, I feel healthy and my viral load is undetectable. Talking to people here at The Body has been very helpful to me.

If you guys need to talk, feel free to send me a message. Hang in there. Your going to be fine.

Leo

hrdrsr
Regular

Reged: 11/03/07
Loc: Colorado
      #234860 - 01/03/08 09:44 AM

I think that you are on the right road all of the people here are very helpful and caring.

Keep your chin up get educated and keep thinking that you are worth it.

Good luck and God Bless

wtbailey

Reged: 01/03/08
Loc: Austin, TX
      #234868 - 01/03/08 07:42 PM

This stage is the worst. It seems like the beginning of the end and that there is no one who knows. Please believe that you are wrong in this thought. You have unlimited support available to you. You are definitely allowed to grieve over the situation and how this changes how think and how you act, but it doesn't change who you are and what you can achieve. This begins a life of a new awareness of who you are and makes you become in tune with your own body. It will also be a time when your true friends arise and surround you will unending amounts of love and acceptance. If you need to vent, email me. I know it's hard, but you will be stronger!! I will be praying for you!!

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #234875 - 01/03/08 08:53 PM

You are in the right place. We have all been where you are now. I tested Poz just one year ago. Am on medication and doing fine. It is an emotional roller coaster. Go with your emotions..then pick yourself up and be your own advocate. Keep track of your lab work...if you don't know what things mean..look at the "Ask the Experts" columns here..or ask us..we are here for you both!!! It seems very daunting but not the end of the world..you will live a long, useful life. The key..do what you need to do..get labs, if you have to take meds..then don't miss them..follow the doctor's directions.
I agree that you don't need to run and tell everyone right now...you feel it out and decide who should know, who you are comfortable with and what you want to do. Keep informed..knowledge is power...and don't cruise websites that are full of BS. This is the best (and only one) out there.
Email anytime....and take care. Its ok to be scared......we all know how it is!!
Bernardine (Bernie)

pozartistsd
Expert

Reged: 01/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA
      #234897 - 01/04/08 03:20 PM

it sounds like if you tested just last year and it was negative then you should be in a good place in terms of disease progression. Even if you were infected last year and you had your test within 6 months of infection yielding a (false) negative result, you were still very recently (acutely) infected or it would of been positive then. So bottom line is you have lots of options and most likely won't have to make decisions on starting treatment for a while so that is great. As for the labs, depending on where you have them done it takes a week or two if i remember correctly. I think my CD4 came in much sooner than the viral load. See my replies to positive at 23 (under I just tested positive) about the aspects surrounding being newly diagnosed. You are really blessed to have a loyal boyfriend who can relate to your situation to go thru all this with you. That should help make it a little less frightening and lonely, plus you won't have to deal with all the dating issues. Ok good luck, you'll be fine.

pozartistsd
Expert

Reged: 01/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA
      #234898 - 01/04/08 03:27 PM

another suggestion that worked well for me...
If you keep all your HIV-related paperwork (ie: labs, forms, dental, etc) organized in a binder with sections it makes your life much easier and you can track your progress. When I go to an appt whether it be the dentist or to the people who run the study I'm in, I have all my info close at hand. It really helps when people start asking you details (ie: the date of diagnosis, cd4 counts on what dates, etc). Instead of trying to remember figures, dates and times, you have them there at easy access. I find I tend to be too frazzled at times (trying to deal with all the mental aspects of having this disease) to remember the logistics so this has been a great help, my healthcare providers love it and it brings me greater peace of mind. pretty basic i know but hope it helps!

whocanfigure
Guru

#234910 - 01/04/08 09:03 PM

Great advice about the binder! I keep all my records in a binder with dividers, as you do. I even have an excel chart of all my labwork so the docs can look at it all at once. Also have an ongoing excel with my meds, everytime I change or start anything new, I log it. Yup, the docs love it. Take care!!!
B.

oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #234962 - 01/05/08 04:31 PM

You guys are embarrassing me,I have scraps of paper stuck in a drawer,now I feel like a real slob.

oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #234963 - 01/05/08 04:33 PM

There's not much I can add,you got lots of good advice here already,welcome to thebody.

Terry

whocanfigure
Guru

#234968 - 01/05/08 09:15 PM

Hey girl..your not a slob....its just that I am a bit obsessive-compulsive. I even have my books color coded...now thats out there!!! LOL LOL. Bernie

ilovemy2

Reged: 12/28/07
      #234992 - 01/07/08 08:35 AM

Hey guys. I thanl you all for the great advice. I am cooping with it very well as of right now. I have kind of come to terms that this is what I have and it does not make me as a person. I was waking up each day wondering when it was going to be my last. Have any of you felt like that, and if so when did you get out of that stage?

wtbailey

Reged: 01/03/08
Loc: Austin, TX
      #235021 - 01/08/08 06:26 PM

Hello again my friend. I hope that today finds you healthy and well. One thing I would ask you regarding your current state of mind is what does your labwork and your doctor say about your health? Is your CD4 and Viral Load good? Does your doctor have hopes that you will be fine? This can bring you great relief if you let it. I know it is scary to be going into the unkown without any idea of what is going to happen to you.

I went 4 years without being on medication. Those four years I struggled with this horrible secret. I did lots of drugs and lied to myself and others because I didn't want this to be real. I didn't want yet another thing in my life to cause rejection. I quit doing drugs and living so hard April 2006 and then in the fall I started losing weight. This excited me of course cause everyone likes to be skinny!! I had test results in the fall that were less than pleasing to my doctor but we waited for one more test in the Spring of 2007 to make a medicine decision. My birthday present in April was finding out I had to begin medication. Happy Birthday!! Since that time I have clung to my faith in God to help me through and began to open up to as many people as possible who I trust to walk with me down this journey. It is the silence and stigma that will kill you. Keeping it all inside and fearing rejection will put your health at risk. The medications are working and I am healthy, happy, and finally fulfilled in who I am...ALL OF ME!!

You will make it through my friend. Let others help you carry your burden. Be honest with yourself and others. Some people will surprise with their compassion and love. I will be praying for you ilovemy2.

Be well,
WT

nomoreworry4me
Master

Reged: 12/24/07
      #235198 - 01/13/08 11:19 AM

Your WB test is negative at this point (nearly 50 days; less than 2 months). It is most likely that you are un-infected. However, as a possibility of still 5-10% chance, it is worthwhile to not donate blood for 6 months post exposure. A negative WB or ELISA at 3 months will however make you 99% negative and at 6 month, 100% negative. If there is an emergency to donate, a negative DNA PCR test at this point can be done which can suggest that you are 99% negative

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11103

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3