Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
endlsskys

Reged: 08/30/07
Need help with my diet desprately
      #231571 - 09/26/07 04:18 PM

Here is my problem. This last week I have had no money or anything house is basically empty of food execpt maybe spagehetti sauce. I get money on friday but this last week and a half have been hell. Here is my diet because I don't know what to eat. I think I am wasting away here. Every bowel movement I have is more like Diarrhea it has been like this a week I go and do my intake this friday. As I said I don't have money for doctors or anything yet. I am scared and freaking out a little bit.

Breakfast nothing
Lunch soup
Dinner for the first 4 days Lean meals
Since this last monday soup soup and soup. Maybe some toast. Having to drink aweful tap water so I hardly drink anything.

I know this is not healthy but there is no food. I don't even know what is healthy and what isn't for people with HIV

I am really struggling here. Today I have been very very tired not wanting to do anything or go anywhere just wanting to sleep. My partner got back from business yesterday he had been gone for 3 months that partially why there is not food in loft here because I came into a practically empty loft. All my money went on the move from AZ to Dallas TX. So we are suppose to go out and get grocieries.

Anyone with ideas on what I should buy. I am under nurished and more than likely malnutirioned.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Need help with my diet desprately new
      #231638 - 09/27/07 07:50 PM

Aren't there any support groups or organizations where you live that could help someone with HIV?

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
Re: Need help with my diet desprately new
      #231659 - 09/28/07 06:33 AM

You just need to follow the basic rules of good nutrition that would be advisable for anyone else.

Eating a balanced diet from a variety of food groups should ensure that you get the full range of energy, fibre and nutrients that you need.

Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, breads, cereals, potatoes and other carbohydrates.

Eat moderate amounts of meat, fish, other foods containing protein (eggs, beans, lentils, nuts, tofu etc), milk and dairy products.

Restrict you intake of foods high in fats and sugars.

Avoid fried foods, saturated fats; choose lower fat versions where you can, remove visible fat and skin from meat products.

Base your meals around cheap bulking carbohydrates (bread, pasta, potatoes and rice).

Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day (potatoes do not count) .. but eat a variety of types and colours (different colours are rich in different nutrients).

You can supplement with a good multivitamin if you want to (but don’t exceed the recommended dose) and avoid fad diets and supplements unless specifically advised by your doctor / nutritionist (or you are a vegetarian and aren't getting your full range of essential nutrients).

Fish is generally better than meat (try to eat oily fish at least twice a week .. it is rich in healthy Omega 3 oils)

Use less salt.

Drink plenty of water.

Tempting as it may be, DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST.

Do not be tempted to waste your money on ridiculously expensive “immune boosting” supplements (like T-Pax).

If you really feel that you are malnourished, then you should try to get advice from a good nutritionist (in the US, your local HIV support organisations should be able to put you in touch with one - in the UK, your HIV clinic should have a qualified nutritionist on staff).

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3700

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3