Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Mathias1

Reged: 09/13/07
Loc: Florida
The Shock Haven't Exactly Set In Yet!
      #230861 - 09/13/07 10:54 PM

Hi, my name is Matthew and I just received my results back 2day HIV +. When the nurse told me, I just sat there and stared at her. Having my cousin in the room w/me help to ease the emotions. I am totally lost right now, and am worried about taking my Viral Load and CD4 tests. I really need to know what organizations there are out there and someone who knows exactly what I am going thru..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: The Shock Haven't Exactly Set In Yet! new
      #230862 - 09/13/07 11:04 PM

Matthew, I presume you have confirmatory Western Blot??

Eric

Mathias1

#230863 - 09/13/07 11:08 PM

Eric,

As I stated I just fournd out 2day, and forgive me but I have know idea what you are talking about.

Survivor
Legend

#230864 - 09/13/07 11:11 PM

Mathiew a Western Blot test confirms without a doubt that you are indeed positive.. I do not want to jump the gun here...

Sorry for not being clear..

Eric

Mathias1

#230865 - 09/13/07 11:16 PM

The doctor automatically just told me to get the Viral and the CD4 tests taken. So that is what I am planning to do. Because about 2 1/2 weeks ago I went to the hospital for an infection and the doctor there was the one who told me that my white blood count was low and to get tested so I did. Today, I got the results and they were +.

Survivor
Legend

#230866 - 09/13/07 11:28 PM

Ok Matt..

First off Welcome to a great support system. Most if not all of your fears and questions will be answered here so have no fear. Will you get all the answers tonight?? Probably not. And, you probably need to just dijest the idea of what being postive really means in 2007 and not 1987.

I know you have been reading a bit and I hope we can all stear you in a good direction. Your not going to die and your going to live a long while. But there are some things you need to do. And that is, follow your doctors advise and get your labs for cd4/viral load done. That way your doc can start evaluating your infection. I would make your appointment to have your labs done this week or the first of next.

As for support and where to go?? First there is your local ASO (Aids Service Organization) you can google this for your area. I do not know your whole story as yet so you will need to fill us all in a bit more for us to give pointed answers for you....

But go and get your labs done. It doesnt hurt.. :)

Keep talking and know you are not alone in this... Trust me..

Hugs,

Eric

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #230872 - 09/14/07 08:47 AM

Hi, Matthew glad you found your way here, we all understand very well what you are going through. I am so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and know that we are here for you, if there is anything we can do. Many of us have been where you are and we understand what you are going through. Again, welcome to the body, and know our thoughts are with you. I look forward to hearing more from you soon.. D

Ozarkbuddy

Reged: 09/01/07
      #230949 - 09/15/07 08:37 AM

Matthew, I just went through the same thing. I was sick with flu-like symptoms back in mid August and had had a unprotected encounter two weeks earlier with a guy that didn't disclose he was poz. They ran some tests and some came back reactive and two came back non-reactive. I was referred to a infectious disease doctor who ordered new labs. I received the word this week that I am hiv positive. I went through the initial shock 3 weeks ago. I couldn't eat and my mind was totally consumed with fear of the unknown. Things will get better for you. One of the first things I did was go to our local Aids Service Organization. They gave me lots of information and even signed me up to receive some monetary help for insurance, doctors co-payments, etc. These organizations really offer a lot of assistance and support. These organizations can also refer you to a good infectious disease doctor in your community. A good doctor is important. You will find a lot of good people on this web site. In a few weeks things will get better and your life will move foward. Just know we are all out here for you.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6202

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3