Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
optimistic

Reged: 07/18/07
Is this really happening?
      #228770 - 07/18/07 02:04 PM

I just went to emergency last sunday for a appendix acute infection, nothing out of common, they decide to take the appendix out with a surgery. But while making tests prior the surgery I needed at the time, the doctors came with an ELISA positive result. Doctors said to me that they can't be sure about the results because it could be a false positive, this knowing I'm taking a pill called Roaccutane, that the virus load was quite high and that I have tested negative in september last year. They repeat the ELISA test and it gave the same results. So they make me the Western Blot test and we will know the results next monday. I'm quite frightened and also I feel quite alone. I know I've been in risk situations, not that risky but risk situations anyway. What really frightened me was that when I got home from the hospital, yesterday, just with the stiches from the surgery (that nowadays is more easy and less dangerous), I went into Internet searching about HIV and then checked the copy of the blood tests I took home with me. It shows that my lymphocytes were at 15,2%. That seems to be very low and quite an indicative of being HIV-positive. And knowing I tested negative less than a year ago, it's a very stressing result. I'm 19 years old and live alone in a city far my family. I don't wanna come back there and don't wanna see my life stoped. I just come here to see if someone could help me relieve this anguish. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: Is this really happening? new
      #228771 - 07/18/07 02:36 PM

The Western Blot will give you a definitive answer. I wonder what your risk assessment actually is. You say you've been in "risk situations, not that risky". What do you mean by this? Your actual risk could help indicate whether your ELISA is a false positive until you wait for your WB results...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #228773 - 07/18/07 02:42 PM

With regard to your numbers, it's very possible that you contracted the virus recently, particularly given your negative test last September. The viral load is high and the CD4 count low soon after exposure as the body gears up to fight the infection. Then, the numbers stabalize (i.e. viral load goes down and CD4 goes up).

Unfortunately, the shock of being told one has HIV is usually overwhelming. If there is a support group in you area, like at an AIDS foundation, it would be a good idea to get counseling there and information on what to do next. They may even be able to recommend a good infectious disease doctor.

The important thing to know is that current medications, if you should need them, are very potent and can neutralize the virus though they cannot eliminate it. Life goes on after an HIV diagnosis, just like for people who are diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. The condition can be managed provided that you receive follow-up from an expert provider, receive the right medications when you need them, and take care of your body (eat right, get the vaccinations you need, no drugs or smoking). Before you do take any medications, make sure your doctor performs a resistance test.

It would be very beneficial to you emotionally if you could confide in a family member or friend, though, be prepared for them to be overwhelmed by this news. For this reason, it is a good idea to seek out support from a local AIDS organization. This support can make a huge difference, especially soon after receiving the hard news of a positive HIV test.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #228784 - 07/18/07 06:02 PM

It's not easy. Any of us that have tested postive have been and felt what you are currently feeling. You are not alone.

I'll be honest with you. Straight up. You have two postive ELISA and a high viral load. That high viral load means you have HIV. The Western Blot is not going to be negative.

You're life won't stop however. We go on. This is a shock I know. Use this board to vent, rant, work through your fears.

It will be OK. Maybe it won't seem that way, today or tomorrow, but it will all be OK. You have a time line to how long you have been infected. You know that you have HIV and actually that's a good thing. Knowing gives you the power. You have the power to take the steps needed to live a long and healthy life.

Give yourself time to adjust. I'm sure you will live up to your name.

optimistic

#228811 - 07/19/07 11:22 AM

I have had oral sex without condom, knowing I had an infectious problem in one teeth. Mostly that. I've been near penetration with an strange, once, but it didn't happened at the end but I still think that could be risky. Anyway, the medical centre says that the results are already out and that I should picked them up today. I will do it this afternoon. I'm pretty scared. Thanks for your words, knowing it is normal to have those numbers after a recent infecion makes me feel in charge again. Thanks.

optimistic

#228822 - 07/19/07 06:30 PM

Well, the WB was positive. So I think I will hang around this boards for a while... Again, it has been very good for me to found this site.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #228823 - 07/19/07 06:38 PM

sorry to hear about your results good luck good karma

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #228824 - 07/19/07 06:42 PM

I know this is a lot to handle. Take time to focus on yourself and what you need.

If you are in the US call your local Aids Service Organization (ASO) and get signed up as a client with them. They will be able to give you a lot of information about services that are available.

http://www.thebody.com/index/hotlines/other.html

I'm really sorry to hear about your results and as hard as I know it is for you to believe. It really will get better. Things will sort themselves out.

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #228838 - 07/20/07 09:01 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your results, I am grateful that they tested you, because now you know how to deal with your health. We have come a really long way in the fight against HIV, so don't stop planning for your future. Take some time and allow yourself to adjust. Welcome to the boards, I hope to hear more from you, if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. We have all been where you are, I was there myself a year and half ago. Before you know it you will be living your life as you did before, but with a illness with proper treatment can be managed. Take care D

sumbody

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: California
      #228871 - 07/23/07 01:48 AM

It is normal, and you can take control of your health. I had 400 cd4 and 100,000 viral load when I was tested after a recent infection. Some hope - I am healthier now than I was before I was tested because I am concerned about my health. If I were to give you any advice, and I guess I will. I recommend that you use this experience for your benefit by getting involved in your health as much as possible. Research vitamin supplements and take them, drink less if you do at all because your liver will need TLC, and be consistent with yout meds because research shows you can be healthy for a very long time if you do! I am having the same experience as you, at the same time as you, so we are not alone!

--------------------
We are more than the sum of our cd4 totals and viral load counts.

SAlady

Reged: 07/12/07
      #228873 - 07/23/07 09:59 AM

Hi Optimistic
You have chosen a wonderful name so my, advise stick to it! Well I was diagnosed last year and I must say it has been rough but it is true that we have come a long way in the fight against the virus. I am now a happily married woman (to a hiv negative man) who is wonderful through and through. Who would have thought...... enjoy your life and just take good care of it ok! Just hang in there till you get your results and come back here you hear!!!!! You are not alone. My husband and I are planning to have a baby now, yes it is possible and we are giving it our all so see there is life after an hiv diagnosis.........It will be ok!

kolo
Regular

Reged: 03/16/07
      #228879 - 07/23/07 07:13 PM

Hi Optimistic!
I love the name you chose. I feel you will get through this. I was also recently diagnosed. First month was tough....I also asked myself if I was alone. With time, it became easier for me, and I thank God for the circumstances because I am now very careful about my daily habits and how they could consequently affect my health. I now have a healthier approach to life.

As for the mind....it is hard. But keep in mind you are NOT ALONE. There are many of us out here who care for you and who understand what you're going through, cause we've been there before...and are still here. With time you will feel better.

I still do most of the things I did before being diagnosed. I have only added healthier eating habits, I drink insignificantly and I exercise a lot now......and I enjoy it.

Take care and be optimistic.
Love and prayers.
Kolo.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #228906 - 07/25/07 12:07 AM

Welcome aboard... Dont let hiv take control over your life. Turn around, face this, and face it with dignity and grace... You have it within you...

Keep talking and expressing yourself..

Hugs,

Eric

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10433

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3