Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any way to obtain meds with NO INSURANCE....HELP!
      #221896 - 01/13/07 12:26 AM

Hello and thanks for taking the time out on this. Good luck and bless you all on your individual situation's-seems we all have one. My situation briefly goes like this: I'm Hiv Neg. and my partner of 9 years is positive. We both took our HIV tests 9+ years ago-thats when I fell into an incredible depression when he tested positive and I tested negative after having unprotected sex for 4 months. I tested and retested for 6 months thereafter until finally after about 4 test the doctor told me I was definitely negative.
The situation gets real tough here: My partner is an incredibly hard working man....but has never had health insurance and now its impossible to obtain. He's been on meds thanks to the Ryan White program since we found out back in '98 and he's been doing wonderfull...super healthy, super fit, however, now we have reason to believe they may take him off the program due to his income level. I don't even know where to begin looking or what to do since his two combination meds (Combivir and Sustiva) cost something like $1100/month if you were to purchase them. This means we'd have to sell our condo to have the cash we need to pay for his meds....for a short time, then after that money runs out I'm not sure what we'll do. Does anyone know of any alternatives to this? Anyone going through the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated....and once again...best wishes to everyone.
For those of you recently diagnosed...THERE IS A VERY BRIGHT FUTURE FOR YOU....and don't let anyone tell you different. Meds these days are incredible...my partner has been positive for 15 years and is doing great. Thanks to our faith in God and the help of meds these days. Stick to your doctors orders and always take your meds on time...YOU"LL DO JUST FINE. Thanks again for reading.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Any way to obtain meds with NO INSURANCE....HELP! new
      #221913 - 01/13/07 07:04 AM

if you are in Ny state, you can find good free programs.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Any way to obtain meds with NO INSURANCE....HE new
      #221919 - 01/13/07 08:08 AM

There are many different types of programs. Get in touch with your local Aids Serivice Organization (ASO). All cities and many towns have them.

Also check out this site - Partnership for Prescription Assistance

www.pparx.org

PositiveInPVD
Fanatic

Reged: 03/12/06
Loc: Providence, Rhode Island
Re: Any way to obtain meds with NO INSURANCE....HE new
      #221921 - 01/13/07 09:21 AM

I want to emphasize this partner for prescription assistance. It basically involves seperate applications to the various HIV medication drug manufacturers, however, the requirement is failure to meet eligibility requirements for other programs like ADAP (Ryan White) or Medicaid. I know from personal experience that Bristol Myers Squibb (Sustiva) and Gilead Science (Truvada, Atripla) have programs with pretty easy applications. Not unlike applying for state aid, the applications involve portions for both you and your doctor to complete. Just make sure you stay on whatever route you need come the time. The beaurocracy can be a pain, but you just gotta keep pushing and stay in touch with your social worker and press the issue. One last thing though. As with all assistance, there are income requirements. I don't know his income, but sometimes if necessary it might require a drop in salary to qualify. The drop in salary will still ofset the amazing cost of paying for meds on their own.
Todd

--------------------
CD4 808 (41%), VL <75, liver still functioning great,lipids normal!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3539

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3