Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
cowtownpoz

Reged: 09/01/06
Loc: Columbus, OH, US
First labs....
      #208058 - 09/22/06 11:20 AM

Hello all- I was diagnosed about a month ago and have been reading posts on here since then. It seems there are a lot of good people on here, and I need that right now. About me- 28 y/o male in Columbus, OH, otherwise pretty healthy.

I just returned from the doctor to get my first set of numbers. VL 22700, CD4 343, cd4% 21. I had kind of been hoping for better numbers, but the infection is recent. Anyway, I am considering entry into an early treatment study. The drug group gets drugs for nine months and then stops. Any experience/thoughts?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: First labs.... new
      #208304 - 09/24/06 10:30 AM

CTP - Welcome to Thebody.. I think its a bit premature to consider treatment with only one set of labs done / resistance testing completed? This is a process of at least 2 more sets of labs to establish a trend with your virus... If you are looking into study options, there are many out there that are very low risk and then there are some that in my eyes put the patient in a very risky situation. If you are contimplating a study then runs nine months and then stops, I have difficulty with that esp if that means you stop taking meds.. I recomend you drop one of the Experts in ASK THE EXPERTS forum about any potential study you might be interested in. But again, I think you are jumping the gun on treatment without a trend being established... Just sayin.

Best

JonCO
Regular

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: Denver, CO
      #208363 - 09/24/06 07:51 PM

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. You are somewhat on the border for treatment as I understand it. They usually start to consider meds around Cd4 below 350 is where or VL above 100,000. Anyway, the study you contemplate is looking at whether or not early medication intervention changes the course or progression of HIV over time. No one really knows yet, so it might be a good idea to try it. I agree with Eric, ask the experts their opinion. Be well.
JonCo

--------------------
JonCO

shalmy01
Unregistered

#209007 - 09/28/06 11:37 AM

Hi first lab - I agree with the others that you'll need to confer with a primary provider. Something to weigh in when contemplating a clinical trial is the huge benefit of meds and lab tests done possibly at no cost to you plus the knowledge and support of study staff in addition to your regular doctor. I found an early intervention study years ago that fit in with what I wanted to do and with a staff that sends all info to my primary provider. It has been a great experience and a big help not to pay co-pays for lab tests and meds.
Ask lots "O" questions always . All best. Shalmy01

Anonymous
Unregistered

#209076 - 09/28/06 08:52 PM

Hi cowtownpoz,
I am in a very similar situation as you and had to weigh many different factors. There are a lot of studies being done and coming out right now on us, the newly infected. I am a physician in San Diego and had spent an hour and a half with a research doctor who firmly believes that you and I, with lowish VL and decent T4 (mine's <15,000 and almost 700) are the ones who benefit the most from the treatment you are considering - short'er' course of early antivirals. The data is not clear, but there does seem to be some benefit to our immune systems if we knock down the VL and allow the Tcells to mature more before HIV knocks them out. I decided to go with early meds, just started 2 days ago myself and stressed over the decision. It now feels GOOD to move forward. I'm in on observational study myself, which doesn't dictate my meds, but doesn't pay for them either. They do cover labs/tests which are part of their study. I had the opportunity to do a study, but I'm a little further along (converted in August) and it would have taken another 2 weeks to get me on study.
Good Luck and Peace!
P.S. So far, no signif side effects! Yeah!

cowtownpoz

#209108 - 09/29/06 06:20 AM

Thanks everyone- I very much appriciate your thoughts on this. This morning I will be going in for the screening blood draw for the study. My HIV doc is familiar with the study and discussed possible benefits/risks during my appointment. He feels that I should consider entering the study, as other people have benefited from this treatment in the past but there are few clinical trials to quantify and track the effectiveness. Once my results come back, he wants to review the numbers and have another conversation before I make a final decision. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks again- Jon

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #209377 - 10/01/06 04:21 PM

Jon, please post your new #'s as well as the study in detail. Glad you moving along. Feel good about what it is that you are doing. You are taking charge of a not so pleasant situation. Once you get all these ducks in a row, then you get to let them work for you.. Good job my friend.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#209495 - 10/02/06 08:49 AM

With 26 years of experience living with HIV, and having been so for more than half my life. I say to you and anyone with this virus to live for your dreams! Become learned about how lifes choices have affected you, and overcome adversity. If you ever become lost in the ugliness of HIV and AIDS, dear not give into it. Fight your way! Live and give!

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #209745 - 10/03/06 01:47 PM

Hello Jon,

I don't have much to say right now, except Welcome to TheBody....and DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE!

We're here for you,
Gary

cowtownpoz

#211620 - 10/14/06 08:49 AM

Hello all-
I got my new numbers, and they are much better- cd4 544, vL 14700. Unfortunately my infection was not as recent as I had thought. The tests indicate that I have been poz for greater than six months, so I did not qualify for the study. Now I am just focusing on being more healthy- going to the gym, quitting smoking, eating better, etc. Thanks for all your replys!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5207

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3