Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eye Opener
      #200578 - 07/19/06 06:50 AM

I was very worried I had been exposed to HIV so I told my doctor and got tests done. My doctor is a regular family physician in a suburban area. What has transpired after is very annoying to me. I also went to an ID doctor to ease my mind about HIV and I appear to be negative out to 5+ months.

When my next scheduled check up came for my family doctor the office manager who called to remind me of the appointment had a few choice words such as "You don't have to come in for your appoinment if you don't want to" and "I can get you in at 7:00 AM so you don't have to wait behind anyone". Usually the reminder is just a very pleasant reminder, not a veiled attempt to shun you....

This behavior was obviously because the family doctor office assumed I have HIV since I went to the ID doctor. I can't believe how I was treated like night and day after this HIV issue came up. I felt like a third class citizen. I really feel for people who actually have HIV and how they are treated by idiots like this.

Needless to say I changed my primary care physician asap based on this treatment.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #200583 - 07/19/06 07:52 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Eye Opener new
      #200586 - 07/19/06 08:18 AM

Paranoid behavior.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200690 - 07/19/06 10:52 PM

Actually, you know nothing of my story and your statement is baseless and made with assumptions that are inaccurate. I only had two HIV tests with my GP's office which were suggested by the protocols. I never discussed the issue much with the family doctor. I merely went to an ID doctor on my own, and got the 5 month test on my own. In the future I would suggest that you not make assumptions about what someone posts when they never posted what you "assume". I reiterate that the behavior of the person at the GP's office was based on the assumption that I was HIV positive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200691 - 07/19/06 10:55 PM

Not everyone lives in NYC or San Franacisco as you probably do. In many places people who are associated with HIV are not treated the best. That's just the way it is.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #200698 - 07/20/06 12:01 AM

welcome to the real world where people you know act as if they dont,and strangers are the only ones you can talk to,wether you positive or not it is something where a society like ours should do more to understand and not only help us, but to be better informed to help themselves if the need ever comes to fruician.and the way sexuality is becomming more prevalant than real values,well they too had better be informed

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #200761 - 07/20/06 01:39 PM

It is a HUGE slap in the face when a medical professional makes you feel dirty. My primary doctor told me, "good luck with that, you've got a looooong road ahead of you" and walked out of the room. I sat & cried. I contacted my benefits manager at my job & filed a complaint with my insurance carrier about his behavior. Recently, my gyn refused to examine me because of my + status...

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #200767 - 07/20/06 02:56 PM

If you think the people in your doctor's office treated you unfairly, just wait until you experience reactions from some of your family and "friends."

I've had to quickly develop tougher skin. If not, I would not be able to function. :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200779 - 07/20/06 03:52 PM

She cant relate because she doesn have it. The message was sent to sympathize with HIV+ people problems. I understand her point but to try to connect getting shunned in a doctor's office and actually living and breathing HIV seems a HUGE STRECH!! A2H seems to have it right.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200780 - 07/20/06 03:56 PM

What are you crazy? What assumptions? What like the assumption that you can some how relate to what an HIV + person goes through because your doctor appt problems? NOW THAT IS AN ASSUMPTION

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200803 - 07/20/06 06:55 PM

No because I know the change in behavior by the GP's personnel was based on that assumption. They knew I had gone to the ID doctor and they made an assumption that very clearly affected the way in which they treated me when confirming my next appointment. It was as obvious as night and day. I am not that sensitive a person so I brushed it off, but it was a real eye opener.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200805 - 07/20/06 06:58 PM

That's really unprofessional behavior by your gyn. I'm somewhat surprised a physician cannot lose his/her license by acting in such a way.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5845

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3