Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
cobal
Unregistered

Please Read (how long to seroconvert)
      #196563 - 06/18/06 11:37 AM

Please forgive me for using this forum prematurely, but I really need some help. My problem is that I've been exposed and having symptoms. Lost alot of weight, coated tongue, body pains, and just feeling awful all day. I've been posting on the "Am i infected" forum and found that to be more confusion than I can stand.
My main question is how long did it take for you to seroconvert.
Everyone is saying 3 months and I'm having a hard time with such a firm statement.
I was exposed (male to female) on Feb 7th with the listed symptoms the following week.
Been tested by Elisa at 2,4,8,12,17 so far negative. I also test at 28 day by RNA PCR and at 17 week DNA PCR. I feel like I'm looking for needles in a hay stack, and have very little confidence in my testing stragity. I have very little information to go on and I really need some assistance with how to proceed from here. My Doctors are of very little help. All want to know is that from your combined experience how long did it take to test +ve. Please excuse me of I have offended anyone with this post, its not my intention to do so, but I'm desperate.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Please Read (how long to seroconvert) new
      #196573 - 06/18/06 01:47 PM

Please, you haven't offended anyone. This forum is to ask questions and to seek support.

An Elisa test looks for the body's immune response specifically to HIV. Most people will have a detectable immune response within 8 weeks, however, 12 weeks what the literature in general says.

However, the literature continues to also say that some people won't develop an immune response to HIV until up to 6 months after exposure. So that means that a small minority of folks who actually have HIV won't actually show a positive test until up to 6 months after exposure.

The other test that your doctor can perform is a viral load and CD4 test. This is usually reserved for people who have tested positive for HIV using elisa and/or western blot. However, it might be useful to you if you don't trust your current test results. A viral load test will actually look for HIV in the blood and count how much virus there is per mililiter of blood. If HIV is not present, then it will show undetectable meaning you don't have it.

One more thing you might do is switch doctors if you don't trust your current medical staff. Good luck!

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #196580 - 06/18/06 03:54 PM

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #196629 - 06/19/06 11:36 AM

3 months is considered to be conclusive. if you are scared that you may have hiv or are feeling guilty about the encounter, i'd say you are very stressed out and unfortunately when we are stressed out, not only do our bodies play tricks on us, but so do our minds. inevitably your body is going to tell your mind that you have every symptom of hiv. once you put this behind you, i think you will really start to feel better. talk to a counselor or a close friend, but move on. you are negative.
best of luck,
daisey

thevillebear
Fanatic

Reged: 06/10/06
Loc: KY
      #196710 - 06/20/06 04:02 AM

The symptome you describe are symptoms of full blown AIDS not a new HIV infection, if you were just infected it is unlikely you would have so many symptoms.
Three months is conclusive for the ELISA test, so you are negative.
I would suggest counseling to find out why you have such an irrational fear of being infected that it is causing your mind to "manufacture" symptoms.
Congrats on being neg. and God Bless

Cobal
Unregistered

#196725 - 06/20/06 09:56 AM

I don't think that its a phobea, or irrational fear. I had the classic flu like symptom and just have not been able to shake it. Been testing like there is no tomorrow and can't relate it to anything else wrong with me. I go to sleep and wake up in pain, overnight I drop two pounds if I dont pig out before i go to bed. Tired everything to rule something out, but It seems like I'm stuck in the middle of a night mare waiting to hear Positive.
Thanks for your support.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #196733 - 06/20/06 10:24 AM

stop waiting around to hear that you are positive and enjoy your negative status.........

get busy living...................................... or get busy dying.

daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198086 - 06/28/06 03:37 PM

I'm in the same boat as Cobal. Have had several tests out to 18 weeks now, all negative, but I don't feel good. This is so frustrating! :(

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198106 - 06/28/06 05:12 PM

Have you gone completely mad? Here you are complaining about how frustrating it is to have a conclusive negative on a board FOR PEOPLE THAT JUST TESTED POSTIVE. Have you no shame??????

You're one sadistic son of a bitch. Sick, sick, sick.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198108 - 06/28/06 05:20 PM

Sorry, I'm not a sadistic person, I did not fully explain my self. What I meant is that I am really convinced that I am a late sero converter but I can't prove it with the tests. I have a lot of physical problems such as skin sores on my arms, anemia, tiredness, etc. Reading up on the subject I am convinced that I am a late seroconverter and am likely not to do well under treatment.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198254 - 06/29/06 05:30 PM

Explaining yourself just makes it all the worse.

You just don't get it do you? Ok, maybe you aren't sadistic. Of course then that means you're just not very bright. Or maybe the kindest thing anyone reading your post would be just to think that you're a bit touched.

Don't bring problems such as this to a board that has been set to support the newly diagonised. They have bigger, more serious things to worry about than you do.

Your issue is not about HIV. It's about your fantasy that you're special. So speccial that you are convinced you are a late seroconverter that won't live because the medications won't work. Certainly a crazy hypothesis. You just don't want to believe that you are HIV NEGATIVE. That's your problem. Certainly not the problem of the people that are here looking for support because they HAVE A POSTIVE TEST RESULT.

This board is not about supporting people that REFUSE TO BELIEVE THEIR VERY GOOD LUCK THAT THEY ARE HIV NEGATIVE and posting concerns about negative testing history. Just rubs salt in the wounds of these people that now have to learn to live with HIV, because THEY ACTUALLY ARE HIV POSITIVE.

See a mental health counselor to work on why you need a deathly illness to feel special and work with your doctor to determine the TRUE cause of you health problems.

Look on the bright side. You aren't making HIV history, but maybe some doctor could write a case study about your mental fixationwith a disease you don't have.

Maybe you could write a book and make a ton of money. The care and feeding of the OCD/HIV paranoid manic.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198689 - 07/03/06 02:53 PM

Your morally indulgent condemnaions of my posts aside, I am not sadistic nor am I here to huirt anyone. I had a potentially very risky sexual encounter5 months ago and started having fever two weeks later. I have never recovered since in terms of my physicial state. I am usually a very active person in terms of work in that I do a lot of outside work on both my property and working with others. Since my incident I am unable to do much physicially at all. Phsicial exertion will give me swollen glands under my arms and in my groin and leave me deadly tired at the end of the day. I came here to these boards because I am certain something is seriously wrong with me, something that resulted from a sexual encounter and something that is obviously viral in nature. If I am one of the 1 or 2% of people who sero-convert late and I am therefore at significant risk for early onset of Aids, why would I not come here to try and get information? You are really very rude and the implication you make about my motives is very mean spirited.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8207

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3