Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any truth in this???
      #188234 - 04/27/06 11:48 AM

I have read in some places that many people are asymptomatic because they are tested long after their exposure and often do not remember mild illnesses that happened and that were ars. this is why the range for ars apprearance is 50-90% according to doctors.

Is this likely to be true? Does this mean that if you follows exposure patterns closely, you will notice mild or severe symptoms most of the time? Does anyone know of any studies in this regard, or any personal experiences?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: Any truth in this??? new
      #188257 - 04/27/06 01:04 PM

Estimates for how many people experience ARS vary widely. Some say 90 percent of infected people experience at least some illness, while others say the numbers are more like 40 percent. Certainly there are a lot of people who don't remember any illness at all, and it's impossible to say whether they really didn't get sick, or just got mildly ill and then forgot about it.

dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Re: Any truth in this??? new
      #188380 - 04/28/06 06:04 AM

I can only tell you my experience - I didn't have a "mild illness" - I was sick as hell! I really thought I was dying. The fatigue was so bad I could hardly get up off the couch, I had absolutely no appetite, fever, rash on my chest - just really felt like crap. And, it lasted almost 2 full weeks, so there was no way to ignore it. To top it off, my WBC dropped and my liver functions were elevated - all part of the usual picture for Acute Retroviral Syndrome. I got sick after an affair, about 3 weeks after a period of time that I briefly separated from my husband and was with the "other man" a lot - and had a lot of unprotected sex.

I agree with the other poster, the statistics are different depending where you read the information. The first place I looked said only 30% of people get sick after exposure; other sites have said 80-90% have some type of illness, but many don't remember. I can't forget mine - I've never been that sick in my entire life.

Hope this helps.

--Donna

A good place I found for info. on ARS is http://www.fpnotebook.com/HIV12.htm

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3034

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3