HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Do I have to tell my dentist?
      #185924 - 04/11/06 04:53 PM

I think I already know the answer to this, but am I obligated to reveal my status to my dentist? I am going for an extraction on Thursday. Since this is a small town, I am still really uncomfortable telling anyone. I know he is bound by law not to reveal it to anyone, and that he can't refuse treatment - but do I have to tell him? Or only if there is an accidental exposure?

Viral load/CD4 numbers TOMORROW!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
firefly
Guardian

Reged: 01/22/06
Loc: Orange County, Calif.
Re: Do I have to tell my dentist? new
      #185937 - 04/11/06 05:32 PM

Morally speaking yes.I'm not sure about the thing about him refusing treatment.My brother was basically "refered" to another dentist conveniently.This was a cosmetic dentistry office.My brother went to the next office and did not tell anyone. After all the work was done, my brother got very sick with a bad infection and a blood clot went to his lungs. He ended up in the hospital.It was a close call.The dentist stated had he known, he would have prescribed medications, consulted with my brother's other doctor, and taken the proper precautions regarding my brothers health.It's for your benefit too if you disclose. .........Take care sweety...T'mara

--------------------
You are a diamond in the rough !

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #185940 - 04/11/06 05:50 PM

DJ... You dont have to disclose but I feel it wise. For their safety as well as yours. All Dentist must adhere to standard protection protocals otherwise they loose their license. The reason for disclosure, HIV/AIDS and the meds associated can effect the mouth, gums receiding, etc. This is not usually the case with the newer meds. But I for one want all my doctors including my eye doctor to know what to look for when they are examining me. They are bound by law not to disclose any info regarding your status. I talked with my Dentist over the phone prior to my visit and he said "no problem Eric, you think your the only one dontcha?" "Well yeah", I replied." He said, "nope!".... After I was done at the office, he hugged me and said "see you for another couple hundred checkups... And dont forget to Floss along the gum line".. He tells me that all the time.."

Thats what I did....

firefly
Guardian

#185942 - 04/11/06 05:57 PM

Eric, your dentist sounds like a sweetheart.

--------------------

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
Where Did You Find Your Dentist Eric? new
      #185944 - 04/11/06 06:00 PM

Unfortunately, a relative of my wife (with VERY loose lips) works at my dentist's office. She couldn't keep a secret if her life depended on it.

I called the HIV hotline, but they do not publish a list of "friendly" dentist. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to find one?

-Gary

firefly
Guardian

#185962 - 04/11/06 06:49 PM

http://www.thebody.com/step/ezine_111102/dental.html

--------------------

PositiveInPVD
Fanatic

Reged: 03/12/06
Loc: Providence, Rhode Island
      #185969 - 04/11/06 07:29 PM

YEah.....can I have his number? LOL Actually my dentist is ok too. I had been looking into maybe needing my wisdom teeth removed cuz they make a painful push every once and a while. But the oral surgeon at my dentists office said given my status, its best to use more as a last resort and for now to just monitor. So yeah, lettin em know prevents you from painful surgery. LOL But seriously, it makes them more informed to make better decisions. I know its hard to disclose. It gets better, just like when you tell someone you are gay. Speaking of, today is actually my 9 year coming out anniversary. Can you believe that? Time flies so fast its depressing. I guess the nice thing is we becaome more equipt with time to deal with all of the more difficult tasks and revelations in life.

--------------------
CD4 808 (41%), VL <75, liver still functioning great,lipids normal!!!

Survivor
Legend

Re: Where Did You Find Your Dentist Eric? new
      #185970 - 04/11/06 07:33 PM

Gary - An Employee of the dentist are bound by these same laws. Your relative could ruin your dentists license, she could WOULD be fired and you would have a nice lawsuit that would set you up for a long time! I understand, you might go outside the bounderies of your area to get that confidentiality... I just know in my town that I live in, its a non-issue. I hate what you guys have to do to keep things private if you choose to do so... FUCKING SUCKS RAW EGGS!

Love and Eggs,

Survivor
Legend

#185971 - 04/11/06 07:37 PM

PVD, I get those same pushes every couple of years. Ive got all four of mine. The dentist says, hay, if it aint broke, dont fix it.. I can take a couple of mouth aches every couple years. No big hoot. I am more scared of dentists then my ID doc...

DJ - let us know how your doing when you get your numbers. I am sure you will!

Love and Tooth

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186047 - 04/12/06 09:08 AM

dont you have to find out your labs before you have dental
work?

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #186057 - 04/12/06 10:18 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186067 - 04/12/06 11:24 AM

No you're not obligated and in a small town I would personally avoid it. I've heard of very bad discriminatory things happening. You're NOT putting them at risk at all!! They are using universal precautions. I justwould not take the chance. A friend I have told her dentist and they made her sit for hours and the dental assistants were crying and pointing at her worried that they got infected or something. Hours later the dentist came in wearing all kinds of extra stuff, a full face gear thing eye protection etc. He shouldve been sued.

So you never know if you have a sensitive, knowledgeable dentist or someone ignorant...why be the one to find out? Only tell if you know the dentist is HIV friendly and recommended from your aids organization or something. Or if you live in a place where you have lots of options and if one acts like a idiot you can go elsewhere and ALSO they won't have blown your cover by telling everyone!

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Do I have to tell my dentist?
      #186496 - 04/15/06 09:05 AM

My take on it: you should go to a dentist who understands HIV issues. If your dentist does not then you need to find one who does. Really.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Survivor
Legend

#186510 - 04/15/06 12:09 PM

I went with my "I HAVE AIDS" T-Shirt on.. A bit over the top, but it was a chuckle...

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #186513 - 04/15/06 12:35 PM

Thats funny Eric. Well, I just think that if your dentist is HIV aware...and knows what to look for when examining a patient....he may be able to help maintain a healthier set of teeth and gums. One guy I know just had a whole lot of teeth replaced with implants because his teeth and gums had become so bad due to HIV problems. I dont know if he had been doing proper maintenance all along or not.
Implants are expensive!!!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15122

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3