Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
How do you cope with a HIV+ diagnosis.
      #185424 - 04/08/06 06:46 PM

I am really out of my mind with worry. I am a 34 year old gay man and I had sex back on Feb 11 with a guy I met online.

I was the passive partner and this guy topped me. I think the condom may have broken during intercourse and the guy may have ejaculated inside me. I can't be 100% but I did see something in the toilet afterwards that would leave me to believe this.

I have tested at 32 and 46 days post exposure and both tests came back negative. I tested again today, 8 weeks after exposure and I will get those results on Monday or Tuesday. I also did a DNA PCR test which detects the presence of HIV directly rather than just the virus. I don't know if this was such a good idea since I have read that this test has a high degree of false positives.

Basically, I am going out of my mind with worry for the past month. I have been having symptoms, swollen glands, 3 night sweats, achy and weak muscles and neuropathy (tingling in my arms and legs). This seems like classic ARS symptoms.

My question to HIV+ readers is how did you cope with your diagnosis? It just seems like my world is falling in around me. I can't concentrate on anything, I'm an emotional wreck crying alot of the time. I just don't know how I'll be able to do my job at work with all of this going on. I guess I'm going to know this coming week either way which is scaring me even more. Do any of you have any advice for someone desperate and out of his mind with worry?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: How do you cope with a HIV+ diagnosis. new
      #185436 - 04/08/06 08:35 PM

Well, I am certainly not the expert as I am dealing with a new diagnosis myself. I am still freaking out. I don't know what your situation is but my family and friends have been a huge support system. I haven't told everyone about this but I told my parents, two close friends and an aunt and uncle and their two kids (my cousins). That's all I am telling for now. I can also call two HIV counselors at the clinic where I tested if I need to. It's important to get a support group going so people can be there for you emotionally. Secondly, if this is HIV a quick diagnosis is very beneficial to your long-term health. Also, contact your local Aids organization and ask to make an appt. with a case worker it will REALLY help you to talk to someone. Lastly, start looking up Infectious Disease doctors in your area and decide which one to go to. Call them and ask them a few questions. The Aids organization may also recommend you a doctor. Having a good and experienced doctor is very important in living with HIV.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #185437 - 04/08/06 08:36 PM

You just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

However as my brother use to say to me....why worry about something until you have a reason to worry. There's no point in preparing for a postive result. Trust me. It can't be done.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #185639 - 04/10/06 11:47 AM

Jackie is very right... Dont cross that bridge, not now, not yet. Get the support you need and dont get all wrapped up in symptoms. Careful on what you read!

Love

Anonymous
Unregistered

#185722 - 04/10/06 07:12 PM

Dude you are -VE!! Stop freaking out - move on with your life and congratulations on your test results

basic444

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: miami, Florida
      #186174 - 04/12/06 09:55 PM

Hi,
How else would you cope with something that has happened to you and that you can not change, even when you would like to change it? You just simply live with it. My advice for you is to see it as a fact that worring can not change in thsi present situation. Maybe in future, we may have a cure, but till then we live with the fact that we lost a game of chess by either a simply mistake or because the other guy (HIV) was a better player.
I would like you to remember that you can remain alive to see the day your son, friend or colleague discovers the cure for HIV. If not you have the choice of crying over spilt milk, and avoiding your medications (HAART). When i spill milk, i simply get another cup of milk and close the door of the fridge. Live well my friend. bye.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5188

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3