Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unsure of diagnosis
      #178023 - 03/02/06 06:39 PM

Ok, talk about confusing. I had an affair for a month, then 3 weeks later got really sick - fever, fatigue, nausea, myalgia, WBC very low, liver function tests abnormal. I have Lyme antibody, but not the disease. Lupus tests negative. Initial HIV test result I got Tues. - ELISA positive, Multi-spot negative, Western Blot indeterminate. I know Lyme antibody can made the ELISA false-positive - or is that just wishful thinking on my part? I think I had acute retroviral syndrome - any opinions? I had repeat HIV test drawn Tues., will be 3 weeks for result. Hematologist I'm seeing seems clueless about HIV, and thinks I had mono. (again, acute retroviral syndrome is described as a mononucleosis-like illness)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Re: Unsure of diagnosis new
      #178025 - 03/02/06 07:00 PM

I'm a registered user now, so someone PM me, please!!! ("Unsure of diagnosis" post is mine, from before I registered.) I need someone to talk to - the medical community here in rural upstate NY seems pretty clueless so far.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #178032 - 03/02/06 07:16 PM

Welcome DJ to thebody.. Good to have you.. You will find your answers here. There are alot of qualified folks that will give you their honest opinion. You can also use ASK THE EXPERTS for a better doc in your area as well as describe your findings here on line with them and they are very good at getting back with you.. Hang in there!

Best

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #178043 - 03/02/06 07:45 PM

Hi..Welcome. If you read posts, you will see that SYMPTOMS are very inconclusive. No two people are the same. I never had any symptoms after infection with HIV. Luckily I got tested or I would not have known. The test is ultimately what is conclusive....which in your case seems to be a problem. But really, doctors often do NOT know any more than you do about symptoms. This is when you have to try to determine ...did I have unprotected sex? Am I in a high risk group? Does the person I had sex with belong to a high risk group etc etc. YOU are the best judge as to whether you are at risk for HIV. Maybe asking the person you had sex with to test is a way to go???????

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178060 - 03/02/06 08:51 PM

I agree with Bear, if that was the only exposure.. having the other person to test will help to clear things up. Good Luck.

dj1979
Guru

#178116 - 03/03/06 06:03 AM

Thanks everyone. The man I was with just got tested a few days ago, and will know in 3 weeks. He has had quite a few partners, but no homosexual activities or IV drug use or needles. I hate this wait and see crap.

dj1979
Guru

#178117 - 03/03/06 06:04 AM

Yeah, I know you're right. The man I was with just got tested, and will know in 3 weeks, around the same time I get the results of my repeat test. He has had multiple partners. Thanks!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178155 - 03/03/06 12:26 PM

I was in a situation like that, today I steel feel unsure, 11 months ago I got involved in sex with a woman that later showed positive results on the tests, Three weeks after the risk I took her to get a test but the result came back negative and mine too. Read very well: Nine months after I found out about her situation, But I irresponsibly had an unprotected relation with another person that I`ve been knowing for years... when I had that encounter I was sure that I was not infected (I got tested at 3 weeks, 3 months, and 8 months after that), but weeks later the girl called to tell me the bad news... well the important thing in here is: Maybe getting the virus, is no real problem, but dealing with the guilt of infecting somebody you love is the real deal... Wait to be tested enough time after that encounter and you won't have to live the hell I'm living now, I recommend you a year or more. And remember you may get used to the idea of being infected and you still live well, but not with the idea of infecting someone else... Some weeks for my 12 month test. Still some symptoms. Safe sex and peace!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178161 - 03/03/06 02:07 PM

I find your posting somewhat confussing.. perhaps misleading?? Have you looked it things in a different way? I'm just especulating.. could the girl have given it to you and not you given it to her? Didn't you have sex with anyone else for nine months, other than those two? If you are suggesting that you were a late late seroconverter.. (9 months or more) Why hasn't the CDC highlighted your case, and 6 months is still being the most waiting period suggested for one in a million, and 3 months for everyone else? I'm not saying that you are making things up, I'm saying can it be looked in a different perspective?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5390

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3